× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS backup solution question

wintersroadshow
Follower

ReadyNAS backup solution question

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to confirm the details of a backup solution before we make a purchase. Can someone here tell me if this configuration would work and how I should best implement it?

Our Environment:
We have four remote sites with ~ten servers. All of our sites are pre configured to use scp to copy their backup data to a remote server. We also have a central HQ that hosts our main servers and network equipment.

The Proposed config:
I would like to use a ReadyNAS 2100 at each site to hold the scp'ed backup data from each of the ten servers and a larger Master ReadyNAS at our HQ for offsite storage of the backup data. Ideally, the 2100s would sync their data to the master ReadyNAS automatically.

Based on the spec sheet, it doesn't appear that scp is supported, although there are plenty of Forum posts from users who are apparently using scp.

Can anyone provide some details on how I can implement this solution, specifically scp to the 2100s and automatic syncing to the central HQ ReadyNAS?

Many Thanks
Simon P. Coffin
Message 1 of 4
yoh-dah
Guide

Re: ReadyNAS backup solution question

Simon, you can use the Enable_Root_SSH add-on to gain ssh and scp access to the ReadyNAS.
Message 2 of 4
dbott67
Guide

Hi Simon,

Your setup sounds quite similar to mine. I have a primary central site with just over a dozen servers (mostly Windows with some linux) that I backup to a primary ReadyNAS 2100. I use DeltaCopy to rsync (push) the data folders on my Windows servers to the ReadyNAS. I've got 2 other ReadyNAS 2100's installed at 2 remote sites acting as backups to the primary.

The servers push their data to the primary NAS via rsync at regular intervals throughout the day and then every night at midnight I take a snapshot of the shares. Shortly thereafter, I have a Frontview backup job configured on the remote 2100's pull the snapshot data over the WAN using rsync.

I've written details about my setup here before... I'll see if I can find the post.

-Dave
Message 3 of 4
dbott67
Guide

Still looking for my detailed post, but here's some bed-time reading on some of the general setup: http://www.readynas.com/?p=2032

http://home.bott.ca/webserver/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/howto_nastonas2.pdf
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements