× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS won't boot; transitioning disks?

tfish77
Aspirant

ReadyNAS won't boot; transitioning disks?

I have a ReadyNAS NV (not even the plus, it's a classic!) and after the last time I turned it off (normally) it will not boot back up properly. I have tried booting from USB, no dice. It passed the memory test but will not come online. The blue power light turns solid and the fan spins up, but no disk LEDs after the initial brief flash. Very frustrating, as you might imagine.

So I think I might have no choice but to get a new model. I have some questions, and would greatly appreciate any help the community can give me here, so thank you in advance!

1) If I have roughly the same needs that led me to the NV (data backup, media storage, expandable space) do I need the 314? Or could I get by with the 204 or the 104? What even is the difference, other than price? I need 4 disk bays and X-Raid. Which leads me to...

2) If I put my existing disks into a new NAS, do I have any chance of recovering my data from them?

Thank you!
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS won't boot; transitioning disks?

If you can run the memory test successfully then I think the chassis is probably fine. Sent you a PM

1. So you were using X-RAID on the NV? Any of those models could be used however after purchasing the new unit you would need to contact support and not insert the disks from the old NAS until prompted. The 204 has a more powerful ARM CPU than what is in the 104 and 4x the RAM. The 314 has an Intel Atom CPU.

2) You would need assistance from support to make an attempt. You would need to be careful to follow advice including not inserting the disks until prompted.

I would recommend you take a look at my PM first though.
Message 2 of 5
tfish77
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response! Will check your PM momentarily.
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Disk 1 has 725 ATA errors. It is bad.
Message 4 of 5
tfish77
Aspirant

@mdgm thank you again for your help! I got my new HDD today and the NAS booted right up. Resync is almost complete and I am a very happy camper.
Many thanks!!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements