× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS10400 Stuck at Boot

Warrenjelliott
Aspirant

ReadyNAS10400 Stuck at Boot

Well, this is a bummer.  So the old faithful started to hang at 99% boot but we could still access files.  Then after a power cut, it restarted booting to 88, then again to 82 then again and again and again and now it is stuck on BOOT.  RAIDar gives conflicting reports each time but the last one was this attached.  Then we discovered the back ups are shot apparnetly its a MAC thing.   Status: Management service is offline.  Unable to  Log on to admin page and we are running. Download of logs fails.  But all four drvies are ticked green.   version 6.10.0.   Thoughts  - apart from the throw it out the windows one please.  

Model: RN10443D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (4x 3TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS10400 Stuck at Boot

@Warrenjelliott wrote:

RAIDar gives conflicting reports each time but the last one was this attached.  

Per your screenshot, your OS partition is full.  Often a full OS partition is the result of installing apps on the NAS.  Do you have any installed?  If so, which ones?

Paid support via my.netgear.com can solve this for you remotely.  Note you don't want gearhead - that doesn't include your NAS.  Per-incident support is available, but you might need help from the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) to get it.

Alternatively,

• if you already have linux skills, you can try to clean the OS partition yourself.
  • you can also just do a factory default from the boot menu, and rebuild the NAS.  You would lose the data on it (including the TM backups) if you do this.

Message 2 of 4
Warrenjelliott
Aspirant

Thank you Stephen.  Now that is an interesting thing as we have no installed apps.  It is only accessed by two computers, both MACs.  We stopped using it for Timemachines because everytime MACs updated their OS  the back ups would not work - via the NAS anyway.  So it is purely a file storage system.

I am trying to aviod the factory default from the boot menu as you correctly stated it wipes everything.  We have done this before when our back up system was intact.  But like i said.  We are having issues with that now.  Can't read it. 

We are in New Zealand so any US cost is double for us.  Thats a bit of a stinger having lost income with COVID so it will have to be our last resort.   How do I get hold of those people you meantioned as I have been unable to find Per incident Trouble shooting on the website?

Happy to learn Linux but I suspect that will take a bit of time and this data is important (mind you when is it not). How difficult is it to learn and where is the best place to start.   May need it in the future.

Thoughts?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Warrenjelliott wrote:

We are in New Zealand so any US cost is double for us.  Thats a bit of a stinger having lost income with COVID so it will have to be our last resort.   How do I get hold of those people you meantioned as I have been unable to find Per incident Trouble shooting on the website?

Send them a private message (PM) by clicking on the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

@Warrenjelliott wrote:

Thank you Stephen.  Now that is an interesting thing as we have no installed apps.  It is only accessed by two computers, both MACs. 

Apps are the most common cause, but there are othter possibilties.

@Warrenjelliott wrote:

Happy to learn Linux but I suspect that will take a bit of time and this data is important (mind you when is it not). How difficult is it to learn and where is the best place to start.   May need it in the future.

Like most things, it depends on what other things you already know.  If you've used DOS or powershell commands, then you'd find many of the concepts similar (though the details of the commands are different).

There is a post that explains how to begin analyzing the OS partition here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Volume-root-s-usage-is-100/m-p/1320...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements