× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNASs 314 privacy error when connecting with Chrome

JordanThompson
Aspirant

ReadyNASs 314 privacy error when connecting with Chrome

Two of my disks died and for some reason I got no warning.  Luckily I had everything backed up!

I wound up completely reinstalling the system and installed 4 new drives.  In the process, I have now confused Chrome so that when I go to the ReadyNAS, Chrome will flat out not let me in! (note there is no option to continue at your own risk😞

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from andraia (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID

andraia normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Google Chrome tried to connect to andraia this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be andraia, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Google Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.

You cannot visit andraia right now because the website sent scrambled credentials that Google Chrome cannot process. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.

I had to trick Chrome and go to the IP address instead of the hostname to be able to login at all.

1) I need to be able to access this by hostname as I can never remember the IP address

2) I would love to be able to install an SSL certificate so I don't get the nag when I login.

Any suggestions on either of these questions?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
JordanThompson
Aspirant

So here is the solution...

I was trying to log into https://myNas which was giving me fits on Chrome.  All I had to do was go to http://myNas, accept the certificate, and now I can access it normally.  Sheesh, what a PITA!

thank you everyone for your suggestions.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Your NAS does have an SSL certificate, it's just self-generated.  Since you re-installed, and especially if the IP address changed, you probably need to re-generate it (go to System > Settings > Services and select the HTTPS button), and that may get you back to where you were.  A standard SSL certificate cannot be used on a private network, and the self-signed one is still going to give you a strong warning, but you should be able to click through it.  If not, you may need to change your Chrome security preferences.

I'm pretty sure Chrome first uses the Windows Hosts file for DNS look-up, so putting an entry there may also help.  You can find instructions by Googling.

Message 2 of 16
JordanThompson
Aspirant

Message 3 of 16
JordanThompson
Aspirant

I've replaced the SSL certificate.
Chrome is not having any problem finding the ReadyNAS so it's not a DNS problem.
Believe me, I have Googled for this.
Message 4 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@JordanThompson wrote:

Did that resolve the problem?

Message 5 of 16
JordanThompson
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@JordanThompson wrote:

No, that was the first thing that had done.

Message 6 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@JordanThompson wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@JordanThompson wrote:

No, that was the first thing that had done.

Are you saying that the problem occured right after you replaced the SSL certificate???

FWIW, I did a fresh install on one of my own NAS last week, and didn't see this.

Message 7 of 16
JordanThompson
Aspirant

Are you saying that the problem occured right after you replaced the SSL certificate???

FWIW, I did a fresh install on one of my own NAS last week, and didn't see this.

No, I encountered the problem, then Googled around and changed the SSL certificate.  FWIW, it is working more or less as expected in Safari.

Message 8 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@JordanThompson wrote:

FWIW, it is working more or less as expected in Safari.

Ok.

The normal behavior with Chrome is to get a security warning when you open the browser, and then connect to the NAS.  As @Sandshark says, that is because the certificate is self-signed, and therefore can't be verified.  Clicking on "advanced" will give you an option to connect anyway.  Chrome will remember that selection for a while, so subsequent connections to the NAS won't give you that warning.

That behavior would be the same for the IP address as it is for the hostname though (and of course you can click-through) - so does sound like Chrome is confused.

Have you tried connecting incognito?  If that works, try clearing the browser cache and maybe reboot the PC.  

Message 9 of 16
JordanThompson
Aspirant

Unfortunatly, as I mentioned in my original post, there is no option under the advanced section for me to go to the site.

I tried incognito mode (good suggestion) but it gave me the same results.

I tried deleting all cookies when I first ran into this problem (did not help.)

Message 10 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Did the NAS IP address change with all this?  Maybe when you use the NAS name, it's not really connecting to the NAS?

Message 11 of 16
JordanThompson
Aspirant

The NAS's address is the same.  I can connect with safari to the hostname

@Sandshark wrote:

Did the NAS IP address change with all this?  Maybe when you use the NAS name, it's not really connecting to the NAS?

Message 12 of 16
StephenB
Guru

And you are also running Chrome on that PC?  (on a Mac)?

You didn't mention if you'd tried rebooting the PC or not.

Message 13 of 16
JordanThompson
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

And you are also running Chrome on that PC?  (on a Mac)?

You didn't mention if you'd tried rebooting the PC or not.

It works fine from a PC.  I am having issues with a Mac (thought that it working with Safari may have tipped you off 😉

I have restarted the Mac.  I have not restarted the NAS and I have not re-installed Chrome on the Mac (both of which I will do when I can.)

Message 14 of 16
JordanThompson
Aspirant

So here is the solution...

I was trying to log into https://myNas which was giving me fits on Chrome.  All I had to do was go to http://myNas, accept the certificate, and now I can access it normally.  Sheesh, what a PITA!

thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Message 15 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Odd that it only gave you that option when http was re-directed to https.  But, thanks for sharing the solution.  

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements