× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Duo RND2000 V2 All leds flashing, can't boot or reset.

RonnyHansen
Aspirant

ReadyNas Duo RND2000 V2 All leds flashing, can't boot or reset.

I just dusted off my old ReadyNAS and bought 2 new 2TB HDD's (WD Red).

I bought the thing, but never used it so I'm pretty new to this NAS stuff..

Problem is; I start it up, but the fan speed pulsates loudly, and all but the led above "backup" button flash, including the power button. 3 "short" flashes followed by 3ish? really fast flashes (couldn't count them).

It doesn't seem to boot up, I can't factory reset or reinstall OS (holding reset button while powering on and holding it for 30 sec for factory reset or 5 sec for reinstall).

Either I don't understand the "led blinking guide", or this issue aren't described in the guide.

Anyone seen this issue before?

Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

LED blink behavior for 2 disk systems is three quick blinks of all disk LEDs and the backup LED, followed by an 1s delay, followed by a number of slow blinks.  The number of slow blinks will be the error code.

Current error codes:
1 - Vendor mismatch
2 - No disks detected
3 - Bad contents on root partition of disks
4 - Flash error
5 - Unsupported RAID configuration

Sounds like "bad contents on root partitions of disks".

Did you format the drives before inserting them in the NAS? 

Message 2 of 16
RonnyHansen
Aspirant

Hi, no the HDD's are brand new but i figured the ReadyNAS would format them itself by performing a factory reset?

Message 3 of 16
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi RonnyHansen,

Welcome to the community!

Try it again and follow the procedure from this article. If it won't work, try 1 HDD or Disk at a time then let us know what happens.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@RonnyHansen wrote:

Hi, no the HDD's are brand new but i figured the ReadyNAS would format them itself by performing a factory reset?

Since they were unformatted, the ReadyNAS should have done the factory reset automatically when you powered it up (and formatted the disks).

I suggest testing the disks using lifeguard in a PC.  Also, if there are any partitions seen by windows, delete them (and maybe ask the supplier why it was formatted).

Message 5 of 16
RonnyHansen
Aspirant

@BrianL2 wrote:

Hi RonnyHansen,

Try it again and follow the procedure from this article. If it won't work, try 1 HDD or Disk at a time then let us know what happens.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Hi, and thanks 😃

I followed a similar guide, but the NAS won't start up the boot mode 😕 I've tried holding the reset button in for both 5 seconds and 30 seconds numerous times, but it doesn't seem to respond at all, the leds still blinks as i described 😞

I tried just 1 disk, there was a slight change in leds at first, but after a few seconds it continued as before (with 2 disks).

Message 6 of 16
RonnyHansen
Aspirant

Thanks, I'll put the disks in my computer and test them/check for any partitions 😃

@StephenB wrote:

@RonnyHansen wrote:

Since they were unformatted, the ReadyNAS should have done the factory reset automatically when you powered it up (and formatted the disks).

I suggest testing the disks using lifeguard in a PC.  Also, if there are any partitions seen by windows, delete them (and maybe ask the supplier why it was formatted).

Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Also we should confirm your platform.

Many people look at the label on the back and mistakenly think they have a v2 (but they really have a v1).  Check this article: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

Message 8 of 16
RonnyHansen
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Also we should confirm your platform.

Many people look at the label on the back and mistakenly think they have a v2 (but they really have a v1).  Check this article: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

Oh look at that, the sticker says v2 but according the the rear layout my ReadyNAS is a V1!

Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

RonnyHansen wrote:

says v2 but according the the rear layout my ReadyNAS is a V1!

Then the factory reset instructions are on page 15-16 here: http://www.readynas.com/download/documentation/HM/Duov1_NV%2Bv1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

Message 10 of 16
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi RonnyHansen,

The DUOv1 has its own article found here and hopefully the factory reset procedure will run this time. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 16

@RonnyHansen wrote:

@BrianL2 wrote:

Hi RonnyHansen,

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Hi, and thanks 😃

I followed a similar guide, but the NAS won't start up the boot mode 😕 I've tried holding the reset button in for both 5 seconds and 30 seconds numerous times, but it doesn't seem to respond at all, the leds still blinks as i described 😞

I tried just 1 disk, there was a slight change in leds at first, but after a few seconds it continued as before (with 2 disks).

I'm having a similar issue after performing a factory reset on my RND2000v2, and also performing an OS reload from USB.

Both disks are in but I get the 2 slow blinks.

Message 12 of 16
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Starlionblue3,

Sorry. Can you send me a PM together with the serial number of your RND2000v2?

Kind regards, 

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 16

@BrianL2 wrote:

Hi Starlionblue3,

Sorry. Can you send me a PM together with the serial number of your RND2000v2?

Kind regards, 

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Hi BrianL.

I'll send that to you.

Update: I reseated the memory for the nth time and now it takes the reset, as in I don't get the triple flash. It did the first flash after 5 and second flash after 25. However now it has been sitting for hours with pulsing blue. Is this the disk check?

Message 14 of 16

Oops Double post.

Message 15 of 16
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Starlionblue3,

Thanks for responding back. I have replied to the other thread we're on.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements