× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Duo V2 hard disk upgrade suggestions?

boomish
Aspirant

ReadyNas Duo V2 hard disk upgrade suggestions?

I have 2 Samsung SAMSUNG HD154UI 1.5 tb drives in there and they are nearly full m, any suggestions on upgrading these? sifting through the forums I can't see and large suggestions like 3TB..WD Red seems to be the one I have found in the compatibility list.

Also I might look at upgrading the Ram as it is slow, any suggestions on that. I found a few examples but unsure what version of ReadyNas duo it is, mine is RND2000

Appreciate any feedback
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNas Duo V2 hard disk upgrade suggestions?

Do you have a v1 or v2? Your forum join date and the RAIDiator version in your signature indicate that you have a v1. Please confirm by reading http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

The RAM can only be upgraded on the v1. However the v1 does not support drives with larger capacity than 2TB. If you have the v1 and need more space it's probably time to get a new NAS and to use the v1 to backup important files.
Message 2 of 6
boomish
Aspirant

OMG your right, thanks so much for this post, I was so confused as I always thought it was V1, but after reading the model number of RND200 it looked like a V2, I shall look for an updated machine before I buy the disks then..Dam I just ordered 2 x WD 3tb I better cancel that quick..
Message 3 of 6
rolfkunst
Aspirant

Hi everybody,

Does anyone know the answer to the question? I am planning to buy 3TB disks for my ReadyNAS duoV2. My question is exactly the same as the one from Boomish. Also 1.5TB disks and is running low on free space. I have no space to copy all data to another drive so is there a way to upgrade without dataloss?

With regards,
Rolf Kunst
Message 4 of 6
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What question exactly. Boomish mentions checking the HW Compatibility list here, WD Red 2TB and 3TB are there.

Be sure to perform the check mentioned by mgdm to confirm Duo v1 (max 2TB drives) or v2 (max 4TB drives).

Inserting a larger disk should automatically prepare that disk. Once that is ready, replace the other disk also with the new larger size, and then the full array will expand to the new disk size. This assumes you are indeed using X-RAID2. See this thread for a good description.

Note, before starting this process I suggest you take a backup, just in case it goes wrong!
Message 5 of 6
rolfkunst
Aspirant

Hi aks,
Thank you for your response.

I was under the assumption that the v2 max 3TB supported. I will look into 4TB disks, if they are really supported.
I will take a look at the thread you suggested.

Thank you!

I will let you know
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements