× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Pro died

Dave_Ams
Tutor

ReadyNas Pro died

I recently moved house and when I came to reconnect my ReadyNas Pro buisiness it gave no signs of live beyond blinking network lights. The fans and the disks don't spin up the front display doesn't light up. Anything I could test?

Would the raid-set still work when moved to an other ReadyNas Pro? What if I move the disks to a new RN31600? I was running 6.2.3.

Thanks,

David
Message 1 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNas Pro died

The most likely culprit is the power supply, unless it was badly dropped or something. Maybe something just came loose, but they are put together pretty well, so that's unlikely. A standard ATX supply can be rigged up externally to see if that's the problem. It's jus a straight plug-in to the appropriate connections. If it is, see other threads in the forum about replacing it with an SFX form factor supply. Or, just use the external to power it up till you transfer the data to a new NAS. While you are messing around with it, I recommend you remove the array drives and put in a single "filler". No sense putting your data at more risk till you know what the problem is. I've replaced the supply in two of the older Pro units.

The array is probably intact. No way to know for sure until you put it in a working system. It has been posted that Netgear support can help you recover the data via one of the newer models, but you are still going to have to back it up, re-format, then put it all back on to get full use out of it.

Assuming you have all 6 slots full, any of the Pro or Ultra 6-bay units should work to put your drives in and have it just come up and work. It is best to be sure that that system has the same RIADiator version in it, though. If you have 4 or fewer bays filled, then any of the x86 based 4-drive units should also work.
Message 2 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Since the user was running 6.2.x on the Pro he could move them to a 316 or 516 without needing to backup and reformat.

I would suggest using a scratch disk (must not be from the array) to update the firmware on the 316, verify the update is successful, then power down and remove the scratch disk before doing the migration.

If the array has problems you would be in a data recovery situation where you need to consider your options available to purchase.
Message 3 of 12
Dave_Ams
Tutor

Thanks guys, I'll see if I can find an old ATX power supply somewhere and hook that up with a spare disk in the system.

David
Message 4 of 12
Dave_Ams
Tutor

All,

I managed to get my hands on a ReadyNAS Pro 6, I will tranfer my disks to this system after I updated it to OS6.2 with a spare disk.

I'm not 100% sure if my old system was on 6.2.3 or 6.2.4, is that an issue?

David
Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Dave_Ams wrote:
...I'm not 100% sure if my old system was on 6.2.3 or 6.2.4, is that an issue?
It shouldn't matter, you can just install 6.2.4 on the NAS with the spare disk in place.
Message 6 of 12
Dave_Ams
Tutor

Thanks guys,

It works! Initially the admin page wouldn't show, I got a progress bar followed by the message that the system might be busy. After connecting on SSH I could tell that the Sabnzbd process was hogging the resources.

The admin page still seems slower than on my old system but I had upgraded it to 8GB RAM, would upgrading this one make the Admin page or system any faster?

David

EDIT: Actually, it seems that a lot of the Admin page is cached first in the browser. When I access it again it responds very quickly.
Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 316 does have a slower CPU than the one in the Pro.

If the memory is not swapping then the benefits of a memory upgrade will largely be marginal. The web interface is low priority so if other services such as the SABnzbd app are hogging resources then you will likely see reduced performance from the web interface.
Message 8 of 12
Dave_Ams
Tutor

All,

An update, I added the 1GB stick from my original ReadyNAS Pro Business to my new ReadyNAS Pro 6 and have to say the GUI seems quicker now.

David
Message 9 of 12
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Dave_Ams wrote:
All,

An update, I added the 1GB stick from my original ReadyNAS Pro Business to my new ReadyNAS Pro 6 and have to say the GUI seems quicker now.

David

Wow, that is good. Can you share what memory stick you have used?
Message 10 of 12
Dave_Ams
Tutor

Nhellie wrote:

Unfortunately I didn't look at the description, there are some threads on compatible memory
Message 11 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

@Nhellie wrote:

I have upgraded the memory in a Pro6 and an older Pro BE (also with upgraded CPU) using GSkill and OCZ Platinum PC2-8500 DDR2 RAM.  Both have the following specs:

• DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
  • Timing 5-5-5-15
  • Cas Latency 5
  • Voltage 2.0V - 2.1V

They also have nice heat spreaders that still fit in the Pro.

Beware anything with lower specified voltages.  It might work, but probably not at the rated speed.  If you have a REALLY old Pro BE or Pioneer with the older motherboard, I can't say.if these will work.  Download all logs and look in bios_ver.log.  If is says 07/26/2010 FLAME6-MB V2.0, then it's the latest motherboard with the latest bios.  If it's an earlier revision, but still FLAME6, then it's the latest board with an older BIOS.  BIOS update was available on the old forum, don't know if it still is here. My ProBE was originally 1.6 and I updated to 2.0.

You can get 1 or 2GB sticks of this memory on eBay pretty cheap these days.  2x2GB sticks are more than enough and can be had for under $50.  2x1GB are fine for most, and are less than half that.

My ProBE with 2x2GB sticks of this shows RAM as 4096 MB [4-5-5-15 DDR2] and it runs like a champ, including two lightly used web sites, DDClient, and all the regular functions of a NAS.  But it also has an upgraded Core2 E6600 processor (which has similar specs to the standard Dual Core Pentium E5300 of the newer Pro6).

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements