× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas RN2304 Using Large capacity SSD (16TB) connected to USB

Obiwan_
Apprentice

ReadyNas RN2304 Using Large capacity SSD (16TB) connected to USB

I have four RN2304s with max capacity on one of 28TB. I have been trying to set up backups using attached USB drives. So far I have used mechanical USB drives to capacity of 5TB without any problem. I purchased some 16TB SSD usb drives and the NAS would not mount them. I tried various formats (NTFS, exFat, etc) without success. I then started reducing the size of the drive and reached 1.25TB (MBR:NTFS) and it sees the drive. Has anyone had success with larger SSDs? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNas RN2304 Using Large capacity SSD (16TB) connected to USB

The ReadyNAS OS does not support ExFAT, so don't keep trying that.  It should support GPT/NTFS without regard to it being an SSD or mechanical hard drive.  But it does not support a drive having a GPT protective partition.  When it does show up, what happens if you try to reformat with the NAS?

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Obiwan_ wrote:

I purchased some 16TB SSD usb drives 

What did you buy?

The largest Crucial and Samsung external SSDs are 4 TB. I am thinking you might have gotten a scam drive (not having the capacity it claims).

Message 3 of 7
Obiwan_
Apprentice

The drives are available in various sizes 8, 16, 16 GB. See jpeg attached.

Message 4 of 7
Obiwan_
Apprentice

I pulled it apart and it is a scam. inside 64 gb micro  ssd Son of a B- - - - H !!!!

One of the venders is wrapango.com

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

It would certainly be possible to cram a few M.2 SSDs into one external case, together with the necessary circuitry to concatenate them, but it would be quite expensive.  Sorry you had to find out the hard way that one is too good to be true and I hope you can get your money back.

Message 6 of 7
npandit
Aspirant

Hello @Obiwan_ 

Could you please check the Snapshot and backup capacity your NAS is having.

Also, Please disable Quota, audit, and File search, then reboot the NAS and check if you are facing the same issue.

Have a lovely day, 
Niveditapa
Netgear Team 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements