× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Ultra 2 - won't turn on - migrate disks to new unit?

abramN
Aspirant

ReadyNas Ultra 2 - won't turn on - migrate disks to new unit?

Hi there - my ReadyNas Ultra 2 (FW: v4.2.19) gave up the ghost and won't power on.  I know it's running Radiator, but that's about it - what are my options for replacing the unit?  I'm seeing some used Ultra 2s on Amazon, but I'd be amenable to going to a newer unit as well.  what's the easiest way to get another NAS up and running with the data from the two disks that are currently in the dead unit?  I believe the two drives were x-raided as well...thanks in advance!

Model: RNDU2000 |READYNAS ULTRA 2 |EOL
Message 1 of 5
jak0lantash
Mentor

Re: ReadyNas Ultra 2 - won't turn on - migrate disks to new unit?

Is it not powering on or not booting? Is any LED on? Does the fan spin?

Message 2 of 5
abramN
Aspirant

nope, nada - completely dead.  It could be a power cable issue or a power supply issue, I'm guessing the latter.

Model: RNDU2000 |READYNAS ULTRA 2 |EOL
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could get a RN422 and follow this procedure: ReadyNAS: Migrating disks from RAIDiator 4.2 to ReadyNAS OS 6 (x86)

I wouldn't get another Ultra at this point. Apart from there being no support for used units (it's possible you could move your disks to another Ultra and find that the issues weren't just with the old chassis), RAIDiator-x86 firmware is just getting the occasional firmware update with critical security fixes.

ReadyNAS OS 6 is getting more regular updates with new features, bug fixes, security fixes and other enhancements.

Message 4 of 5
Zombie1
Aspirant

Mine also gave up and crasched all my files on a 2-disk RAID setup. Maybe the "V+12 power is out of normal range" error...
Read about it on this forum and Netgear and the ReadyNAS Ultra users seems to accept that some Chinese factory has used crap components. How else can a NAS fail after only three years? No explanation, no proposed fix, no apologies. Will avoid Netgear products hereafter...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements