× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas214 xraid

star99
Follower

ReadyNas214 xraid

7 days ago, I pushed the button on a factory reset of my ReadyNas214 with 4x6TB disks. This defaults to xraid, which I have never used before, but am curious about. Today, 7 days later, exactly, we are at "RESYNC data 50%" progress. Some questions for you:

Is this kind of duration normal/expected? Does it really take 14 days to set up xraid with 4x6tb disks?

What steps will be performed when the resync is complete? How long will they take? Assuming resync succeeds, can I start using the nas straight away?

If a disk fails, somewhere down the line, in the future, and I replace it, how long will it take to resync with a replacement disk?

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas214 xraid

@star99 wrote:

Is this kind of duration normal/expected? Does it really take 14 days to set up xraid with 4x6tb disks?

This is longer than usual. I'd expect perhaps 2 days for this.

What disks (manufacturer and model) are you using?

Message 2 of 7
edgylitirmor
Guide

wth? This is my post from Reddit on Friday. Are you sync-ing posts from r/NETGEAR to here?

Message 3 of 7
edgylitirmor
Guide

I'm using 4x6tb WD Red Plus.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@edgylitirmor wrote:

wth? This is my post from Reddit on Friday. Are you sync-ing posts from r/NETGEAR to here?

No idea how it got posted here.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@edgylitirmor wrote:

I'm using 4x6tb WD Red Plus.

Just to confirm - WD Red Plus?  Not WD Reds?  The ordinary Red (WD60EFAX) is an SMR drive, which could take a very long time to resync.

Download the log zip file from the logs page, and look to see if any disks have errors.

Message 6 of 7
edgylitirmor
Guide

No errors in the logs.

However, there is an error between keyboard and chair....

Just looking at the logs again and, in the smart_history.log, saw a WD60EFAX where there should have been WD60EFPX.

Not sure how I managed it, but I put in three Red Plus disks and one SMR Red. It was on my desk

when I was testing the others. I must have put one of the new Red Plus disks away, thinking it was one of the old ones, and put an old Red in. It is SMR and clearly the source of the issue.

Man... there's a week I won't get back.

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements