× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 1500 No Access on normal mode

dlovan
Aspirant

Readynas 1500 No Access on normal mode

Hello Everyone 

my department got an Readynas 1500 which is not working properly 

and i tried many ways to fix it but still cant get access to it

the problem is

it will only get IP address on TECH Support and Formatting mode  

On normal mode it doesn't get IP add and Raidar can't locate it

I did 

* Factory Reset 

* OS Re-Installing 

Readynas.PNG

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas 1500 No Access on normal mode

@dlovan wrote:

the problem is

I did 

* Factory Reset 

* OS Re-Installing 

Try powering down, and remove the disks (labeling by slot as you remove them).  Then power up, and see if RAIDar finds it (reporting diskless status).  If it does, then the problem is likely with the disks.

If it does respond diskless, then try booting up with a single blank (unformatted) disk, and see if that works normally.  IF it does, then I suggest testing the production disks with vendor tools in a Windows PC (or just replacing them).

FWIW, if your Factory Reset was successful, then the production disks would have been reformatted.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@dlovan wrote:

the problem is

I did 

* Factory Reset 

* OS Re-Installing 

Try powering down, and remove the disks (labeling by slot as you remove them).  Then power up, and see if RAIDar finds it (reporting diskless status).  If it does, then the problem is likely with the disks.

If it does respond diskless, then try booting up with a single blank (unformatted) disk, and see if that works normally.  IF it does, then I suggest testing the production disks with vendor tools in a Windows PC (or just replacing them).

FWIW, if your Factory Reset was successful, then the production disks would have been reformatted.

Message 2 of 7
dlovan
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply

I Did exactly as you said and You are right
it report diskless now

But now
When i am trying to setup the hard disk (1 Blank as you said ) it say installing and after a few minutes it will disappear i don't know how much it needs to be formatted , waited for 2 hours nothing happened
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@dlovan wrote:

When i am trying to setup the hard disk (1 Blank as you said ) it say installing and after a few minutes it will disappear i don't know how much it needs to be formatted , waited for 2 hours nothing happened

IS RAIDar still reporting it?

What model disk are you using?

There are several possibilities:

• There might be a failure with SATA interface on the system board
  • There might be a problem with the power supply not supplying enough power to the disks
  • There might be a problem with the blank disk you are using

@Sandshark might have other ideas.

Do you have data you need to get off the disks?  Or is everything backed up?

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Since the NAS recognized that you inserted a new drive, I don't think the issue is the SATA subsystem.  It could be insufficient power, causing errors when it installed the OS.  But I think it's more likely that it's the flash.

You said your department "got it", so I'm assuming you don't know it's history.  Is it possible somebody tried to install OS6 on it?  You cannot install OS6 on a 1500 because it's a 32-bit machine and OS6 is 64-bit.  It could be something else in the flash, too.  A USB recovery will usually fix that, though sometimes not and the unit is bricked.

But before you move on, are you aware of the limitations of OS 4.2.x?  Especially the limitation to SMB 1.0?  Most businesses don't allow SMB 1.0 on their networks.  There is also a TLS version problem that can be fixed via an upload, but you nee3d to be able to use a browser that still supports TLS 1.1.

Message 5 of 7
dlovan
Aspirant

Thanks for your supporting and giving me time
Really appreciate that

Your assuming is right I don’t know the history of the device and there is no documentation of it
But as i know it was working fine until they retired it from being used anymore and now there is a reason why we want to make it ready to use
Thats the story

For OS6 i am sure that no one tried to install it because this device retired before OS6 release
And i read most articles before i do anything
So i am aware of that

For SMB and TLS
I don’t have enough information of how netgear system works but i tried to use old version mozilla firefox browser on windows 7 and on about:config gave permission to tls still nothing changes

The device state now is
* on normal mode work without hard disks
(With empty hard disk also work and it say installing after few minutes it will disappear and Raidar no longer detects it *but i have ping to the device* even after rebooting sometimes it say “Corrupted root” Or not detecting and can’t ping to the devices IP)
* already tried with different hard disks model with different vendors that netgear RN 1500 supports it
* i can login to the root system by TELNET
* tried to update firmware and after it say upgrading i thing the device should reboot automatically but it didn’t and it will disappear from Raidar

If there any hope to be fixed ?

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

The next thing to try is a USB recovery, https://kb.netgear.com/30267/RAIDiator-4-2-USB-Recovery-Tool 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements