× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 626x expansion

tju2
Aspirant

Readynas 626x expansion

New Readynas 626x running 6.6.1.  I started with 2 2tb drives in the default xraid config.  I then added 4 4tb drives, so I now have two 2tb drives in slots 1,2, and the rest are 4tb drives.  The xraid moved from raid 1 to raid 5, and expanded the volume, as expected.  However, it appears as if it's only using 2tb on the 4tb drives, rather than expanding to use the full 4tb.  My total volume space is now 9tb, which sounds like 6 2tb drives in raid 5 config.  I'm not using encryption or anything else.  I thought the xraid would utilitze the 4tb drives to their max once I had more than 1 in there.  Do I need to replace the older 2tb drives to utilize the space?  My old Pioneer edition nas handled the incremental adding of larger drives well.

Thank you,

TJ

Model: RN526X| ReadyNAS 526X 6-Bay with up to 60TB total storage
Message 1 of 8
jak0lantash
Mentor

Re: Readynas 626x expansion

Did you try to reboot the NAS? It's not unheard of that a reboot helps trigger the creation of the sub RAID array on the unused capacity.

You can also download the logs from the GUI and look into systemd-journal for "expansion".

Message 2 of 8
tju2
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply!  I did reboot, but I haven't looked at the logs.  I'll go grab those and take a look.  Thanks!

Message 3 of 8
xiao123
NETGEAR Expert

tju2 wrote:

Thanks for the reply!  I did reboot, but I haven't looked at the logs.  I'll go grab those and take a look.  Thanks!

Can you download your logs and send those in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Useful links: Sending Logs|My ReadyNAS Gear|FAQ|Hardware Compatibility List|Docs: Setup Guide, Manual|Downloads|Unofficial Tips|GPL|MDGM on Twitter|MDGM's Unofficial Guides

Message 4 of 8
tju2
Aspirant

Hey Xiao - I ended up opening a case and uploaded the logs there - 28295821 .  Thanks!

Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Looking at smart_history.log and disk_info.log it looks like one of your disks in your EDA500 is failing. The EDA500 volume was resyncing at the time you sent in the logs.

In the main chassis, the vertical expansion partition on sde (channel 4 counting from 0 to 5, so disk 5 counting from 1 to 6), i.e. partition 4 on sde, i.e. sde4 is marked as a spare. So the volume hasn't expanded.

It's possible to force it to use the new disk.

Message 6 of 8
tju2
Aspirant

Hi - yes, I fixed the disk in the eda500.  How do I force the issue on the mail chassis on disk 5?  Should I pull it, wipe it, put it back?

Thanks again for your feeback.

Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I see support has forced the disk marked as a spare in your main chassis to be added to the array.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements