× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas Duo problems as media server with Squeezebox

t1moth
Aspirant

Readynas Duo problems as media server with Squeezebox

Hi , sorry bit of a noob. I am using Readynas Duo as a media server to stream music using my Logitech squeezebox. I have the Tidal app instelled on teh squeezebox but if it only works if I connect to my PC based logitech media server. I can connect to the readynas and play media files stored there but the Tidal app dissapears. I want to be able to use Tidal without having to switch on the PC, is this possible?

Model: RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I don't use squeezebox myself, so I can't help much.

But I am wondering if you have installed the squeezebox server on your NAS, or if you are only using ReadyDLNA.

Message 2 of 11
t1moth
Aspirant

Hi, I sucessfully installed Logitech Media Server on the ReadyNas, I'm also using Ready DLNA for videos.

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I believe Tidal also needs a plug-in installed in the server.  https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005871329-Squeezebox

Message 4 of 11
t1moth
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I'm not very experienced with this stuff so I may be wrong but I don't think that is the issue. I have already successfully installed tidal on the Logitch Media Server on the PC and can sucessfully stream when using my desktop PC as a meadia server. The difficulty is when using the readynas as a media server. To do this I had to put LMS onto the readynas as an add on, now when I run Squeezebox using the readynas as a media server I can stream all my stored music files but cannot access Tidal. I have not found a way to open the Logitech Media Server on the readynas to add a plug in and I don't think this facility exists. I'm hopeing that I can add a plugin to the readynas that will allow Tidal streaming. I'll follow the links and see where it takes me but I'm still looking for a solution. Thanks anyway.

Message 5 of 11
t1moth
Aspirant

Again many thanks for your advice, and I'm sure you have steered me in the right direction. I've followed the link and it looks like there is a way to add ickstream plugin to the LMS installed on the readynas. Unfortunatly I am very new to networking and don't understand the instructions. I'd be very grateful if anyone can help me with a step by step walkthrough.

Message 6 of 11
t1moth
Aspirant

This is the part that says what I need to do but I don't know what it means in practice.

"If installed on a NAS it may also be reachable on port 9001 or 9002) and the LMS Settings/Plugins section and at the bottom of the page specify (copy/paste) one of the repository urls listed below depending on which platform you run LMS on"

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@t1moth wrote:

This is the part that says what I need to do but I don't know what it means in practice.

"If installed on a NAS it may also be reachable on port 9001 or 9002) and the LMS Settings/Plugins section and at the bottom of the page specify (copy/paste) one of the repository urls listed below depending on which platform you run LMS on"

Does your Duo run 4.1.x firmware, or does it run 5.3.x firmware?  

FWIW, in practice you would need to enable ssh on the NAS, and manually install the plug-in using the linux command line interface.  

Message 8 of 11
t1moth
Aspirant

Hi, 

my Duo runs 4.1 software.

thanks for your advice, unfortunatley I have no idea what enable ssh means but I'll google it and maybe that will get me started. I also don't know how to find the Linux command line interface but again google will probably help. Thanks again.

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@t1moth wrote:

my Duo runs 4.1 software.

I have no idea what enable ssh means

That means your Duo is the original sparc-based platform.  The ickstream repos are available for arm and x86 (intel) systems, but they are not providing one for the Sparc CPU.  

So you will not be able to use their instructions.  You'd need to download the source code, and figure out how to create your own library for the NAS. 

Honestly, if you don't know what ssh is, then you will need to invest a lot of time figuring out linux before you can even begin with that project.  And it might not be possible - your NAS runs a very old version of linux (Netgear stopped shipping it back in 2011).  I don't recommend going down that path.  I'd just leave LMS running on the PC - perhaps mounting the media share(s) as PC drive letter(s).

Message 10 of 11
t1moth
Aspirant

Thanks for that full and detailed answer. I may have a go at learning Linux as a lockdown project but I take your point that I will probably have to run LMS from the PC. You have saved me a lot of time looking for a solution that may not exist so you have my gratitude.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements