× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas NVX exhibiting weird behavior

syspike
Aspirant

Readynas NVX exhibiting weird behavior

My readynas NVX has been working for years without any issues. Last night something happened where all the shares became inaccessible. Further investigation shows that the file protocols settings are not checked any more, ssh is no longer available. The log file is empty. Health status reports cpu temp rpm 0 put of sync. I'm unable to power off the unit via front view.

has my ready nas finally died? I've done a os reinstall but nothing changed. The disks however appear to be fine, file system check occurs without any issues. I have 4 x 3TB drives. Fw version is 4.2.27. Can I move the drives to another readynas unit... Will I loose my data....

appreciate any any assistance anyone can provide

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Crashplan created the problem.  The files you need to delete are in /usr/local/crashplan/upgrade.  I sent you a PM.

Take a look at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Backing-up-to-your-ReadyNAS/Crashplan-JRE-update-needed/m-p/985781#... That will give you the information you need to update java once you get the NAS up and running.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Do you have ssh enabled?

Message 2 of 8
syspike
Aspirant

i did have it enabled, but i now am unable to ssh to the nas. the error message i get is connection refused. this conincides with not being able to establish a CIFS/NFS or AFP connection to any of the media shares on teh NAS. When reviewing through frontview they appear to be grayed/whited out. when attempting to select and enable them they quickly become unchecked.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

It sounds like a full OS partition.  If so, the NAS hardware is fine. And Netgear can fix it remotely (ask support about per-incident support).

Are you running Crashplan?  If so, the 4.4.1 crashplan update likely created the problem.  It needs Java 7 at least, and if that isn't installed it keeps downloading the upgrade until the partition fills.

Other options:

-If you have a backup, you can always do a reset and rebuilt the NAS.  You'll need to restore data from backup.

-If you have a linux system with enough SATA ports or USB enclosures you can also mount the disks on the linux system and back up the data.

-with the tech support telnet interface you can mount the OS partition and find what's using the space.  Cache can be deleted manually, and runaway logs truncated.

Message 4 of 8
syspike
Aspirant

actually i do have crashplan installed but it hadnt backed up in a few days and i was investigating why the day before the issue occured. i currently have the drives mapped to a windows pc and using ufsexplorer appear to see the raid and folder structure. Where would i be looking for those temp files, perhaps i can mount the raid and manually delete them, then pop it back into the readynas. 

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Crashplan created the problem.  The files you need to delete are in /usr/local/crashplan/upgrade.  I sent you a PM.

Take a look at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Backing-up-to-your-ReadyNAS/Crashplan-JRE-update-needed/m-p/985781#... That will give you the information you need to update java once you get the NAS up and running.

Message 6 of 8
syspike
Aspirant

Thank you so much... Will check out the article and then follow up on how I did.

Message 7 of 8
syspike
Aspirant

I'm back up and running... Thank you... I was able to purge the crash plan files and restore all share access. Thank you so much....

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements