× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas RN516

garch1
Guide

Readynas RN516

Just a few days ago my psu in my loved RN516 is gone. Up to know I could not find any spare or similar psu just to test if something else in my unit is damaged. Over many years I used my RN516 almost without any problems. Perhaps it is time to change to a complete new server. I was looking at the RN628 but it seems that this unit is not available. Will this be available in the future? Does anyone know if the units are still built and willl be available?

Message 1 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

The 516 uses a Flex ATX form factor power supply.  It's been a long time since I had a 516 apart, and I've never replaced the supply, but it looked to me like it uses standard connector wiring as well (unlike legacy models that use a similar supply).  But I don't know the overall and individual voltage rail power limits.

If nobody else can confirm or deny the standard connector wiring and wattages, give me a couple days to grab my parts unit from storage and take a new look.  The 316/516/716 are getting old enough that power supply issues are going to start happening, so it's worth it for me to find out now.

You should be able to use a standard ATX supply externally to check if it is the supply that's the issue, it's just that we need to see if you'll need an adapter cable as well.

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

My memory failed me.  The 516 (and 316 & 716) do use Netgear's alternate pin-out for the ATX type connector on the power supply (/ReadyNAS_PSU_pinout.pdf).  So in order to use a standard ATX supply externally to see if that fixes the problem, you'll need an adapter cable or to re-wire it slightly.  Unlike the legacy units, however, the fan is still installed in these models' supplies.

Message 3 of 6
garch1
Guide

Thank you very much for sending me the psu wireing diagramm... helped.

It really seems that the old installed psu is dead on the +12V... so I did my test with a 20 pin ATX psu, either ways wired.. but no luck with that. Unit wont turn on... so I tried to avoid power button in front. No luck as well... It really seems

Finally, I kept thinking about getting a UPS. I don't know if this would have helped, but I'll use it in the future.

Message 4 of 6
joe_schmo
Tutor

I haven't seen a Netgear ReadyNas for sale new in quite some time.  I needed a new NAS recently and ended up going with a different brand.

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

My "parts" 516 has essentially the same issue, caused by a short somewhere on the board that I can't find.  I bought it that way, but really expected all it would need is a power supply.  One thing you can look for (but I didn't find on mine) are any large electrolytic capacitors that are bulging.

Without a schematic, I just didn't think it was likely I could find the location of the short, so I didn't do a huge amount of troubleshooting.  So I can't even give you any addition pointers on where to look if you are inclined to try and fix it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements