× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reclaiming data off drives after NAS Fail

ARROWS
Follower

Reclaiming data off drives after NAS Fail

It appears I had a 'spike' which has disabled the network connectoin/ port on my NAS drive. The 4 drives appear to be in order and the drive display screen displays all prompts without issue. 

How can I get access to the data? Is there any way of connecting without the network ports? Am I able use an alternative computer and software if needed?

This must be a common issue and I appologise if it is covered elsewhere.

Cheers

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Reclaiming data off drives after NAS Fail

@ARROWS wrote:

Is there any way of connecting without the network ports?

No.

@ARROWS wrote:

How can I get access to the data?

Though it's likely that both ports are fried, you should certainly start by trying the second NIC.  Also, make sure it's the NAS NIC that has failed, and not the router/switch port.

It might be worth checking the warranty status (3 years), and see if you can get an RMA.

You can migrate to any OS-6 ReadyNAS w/o data loss - though inventory is scarce, and what's there is often overpriced.

It is possible to boot up PCs with a linux "live boot", and then mount the NAS data shares.  There is also some beta software for Windows for mdadm and btrfs which some folks have gotten to work.  Data Recovery software that supports btrfs is available (ReclaiMe is one), but is expensive.  In all these scenarios you'll need USB docks/adapter of some kind to connect all the disks.  

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements