× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replacement fan for Ultra 6

Ney
Aspirant
Aspirant

Replacement fan for Ultra 6

Hi,
My fan on my Ultra 6 really sounds like it is starting a slow (and noisy) death. Netgear does not carry replacement fans for the chassis, so does anyone know of compatible fans (preferably low noise) that suits the Ultra 6?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 9
fastfwd
Virtuoso

Ney wrote:
Hi,
My fan on my Ultra 6 really sounds like it is starting a slow (and noisy) death. Netgear does not carry replacement fans for the chassis, so does anyone know of compatible fans (preferably low noise) that suits the Ultra 6?

If the Ultra 6 uses the same 120mm 3-pin case fan as the Pro Pioneer, it's a Crown Electronics AGE12025B12M. A lot of four is available right now on Ebay for $24.99: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200948037184.

I replaced the AGE12025B12M in my Pro Pioneer with a Noctua NF-S12A FLX; Amazon sells that one for $19.25: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BEZKX8Y.
Message 2 of 9
Ney
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can anyone confirm if it is the same fan in the ultra and pro?

Also thanks for the reply!
Message 3 of 9
fastfwd
Virtuoso

Ney wrote:

If you have visual access to the back of the NAS, you may be able to confirm it yourself: That fan will be mounted with its label facing out, so look through the rear-panel screen and see if you can read enough of its model number to tell whether it matches the model number I posted.

If you can shut down the NAS, even better: You can open it up and see exactly what model number the fan is. And while you're in there, you can blow out what's likely to be a huge amount of dust inside the chassis. If there's a lot of dust on the fan itself, it might just need cleaning, not replacement (but make sure when you blow out the dust not to spin the fan too quickly; over-revving a fan with compressed air is a quick way to kill its bearing).
Message 4 of 9
Ney
Aspirant
Aspirant

fastfwd wrote:
Ney wrote:

If you have visual access to the back of the NAS, you may be able to confirm it yourself: That fan will be mounted with its label facing out, so look through the rear-panel screen and see if you can read enough of its model number to tell whether it matches the model number I posted.

If you can shut down the NAS, even better: You can open it up and see exactly what model number the fan is. And while you're in there, you can blow out what's likely to be a huge amount of dust inside the chassis. If there's a lot of dust on the fan itself, it might just need cleaning, not replacement (but make sure when you blow out the dust not to spin the fan too quickly; over-revving a fan with compressed air is a quick way to kill its bearing).

I have a feeling that over-revving is what might have caused the bearings to die yes :? I'll shut it down and see if I can get the serial off the fan later today, but I think I tried to no avail earlier. Thanks.
Message 5 of 9
Ney
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can tell it's a crown fan with a model number that ends in b12m, so I guess it's the same. Thanks! I will order a replacement, and hopefully get a quiet and well ventilated NAS again soon.
Message 6 of 9
Ney
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Noctua fan is awesome and works a charm. Great build quality, quieter than the stock crown (even before the bearings died), and it also seems to draw more air through the case. Definitly a recommendation from me for all that need to replace a fan in an Ultra 6!
Message 7 of 9
CitizenPlain
Aspirant

Wanted to add to this thread since I ended up here Googling the problem initially, that I just successfully replaced a rattling/clicking case fan (the big one on the top) on my ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus with a Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Case Fan. It works. It's quiet. It comes with a four-pin connector but it still plugs into the 3 pin connector the old fan was plugged into on the ReadyNAS. Is there a better or different fan that would work? Probably. I have no idea. This one seems fine.

It's kinda pricey for a case fan, but the quality seems to be great and considering how much I spent on the ReadyNAS and drives, it's pretty cheap comparatively. $32 on Newegg. Here's a link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608026

My enclosure was out of warranty. It was an easy installation. Just need a phillips screwdriver to remove the sides of the ReadyNAS enclosure, the plate the fan is screwed to, and the old fan. Great success.
Message 8 of 9
fastfwd
Virtuoso

CitizenPlain wrote:
I just successfully replaced a rattling/clicking case fan (the big one on the top) on my ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus with a Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Case Fan. It works. It's quiet. It comes with a four-pin connector but it still plugs into the 3 pin connector the old fan was plugged into on the ReadyNAS. Is there a better or different fan that would work?

If that's not a rhetorical question, yes. The fan you chose will probably cool the NAS just fine, but it's louder than and has a lower maximum airflow rating than the 3-pin Noctua NF-S12A FLX.

CitizenPlain wrote:
It's kinda pricey for a case fan, but the quality seems to be great

Agreed on both counts, although it's available for less than what you paid: Amazon sells it (and the NF-S12A FLX) for around $20.

CitizenPlain wrote:
It was an easy installation. Just need a phillips screwdriver to remove the sides of the ReadyNAS enclosure, the plate the fan is screwed to, and the old fan.

Just make sure that it's blowing the right way: Label side OUT for the fan at the upper rear of the Ultra 6 Plus.

CitizenPlain wrote:
Great success.

Congratulations. Replacing a noisy fan is very satisfying.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements