× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacing all discs in unit will not increase space

SSkwarkowski
Aspirant

Replacing all discs in unit will not increase space

Thanks for reading. Hopefully someone can help me out.
Unit Info:

ReadyNAS NV+

1GB Ram

Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043]

Volume C: Online, RAID Level 5, 4 disks, 95% of 2760 GB used   <--------1/2 the size needed as drives were doublewd in capacity.

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3hfhs7fqsz2fau/Untitled.png?dl=0

Im a bit confused on what to do next. Ive followed every step and instructions I could to get this NAS to work. All the new volumes are in place, but the storage space is the same. Here are the details.

There were originally 4x 1TB Seagate Constellation ES HDDs (Model #: 3x ST1000NM0011, 1x ST31000524NS). This is how I purchased the unit. Once setup everything worked as it was meant to with the expected 2.6TB of space in Raid-5. I then went on to replacing one disc as a time (i did go backwards, 4-1 in order). I power the unit down. Replaced the disc, powered it on. Let it rebuild the volume. Shut it down and repeat. All 4 volumes are fully rebuilt. All data is intact. I even chose to do a shutdown and perform volume scan on next boot. Nothing has changed the total volume size.

Again for the people who want to know:

Old Discs: 3x ST1000NM0011, 1x ST31000524NS - Seagate Constellation ES  (not on list of approved discs, still wroked fine)

New Discs: 4x ST2000VN000-1HJ164 - Seagate Constellation ES

Discs are pretty much identical in make/model/part #, etc, except they are new and twice the size. Ive attached the screenshot showing my confusion. 

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Replacing all discs in unit will not increase space

@SSkwarkowski wrote:

I dont ever recall being given any options to choose which raid setup I wanted originally (with the 1TB drives). I just did the factory reset and let it do its own thing. 

What happens then depends on the details.

With your NAS there is a ~5 minute window after you start the reset where you choose a RAID mode.  You do that by clicking on the setup button in the the RAIDar application.  After you pick a RAID mode you'd go continue with the normal NAS setup.  Since you definitely are using flexraid, I think that must be what you did.

If you don't use RAIDar to set up the NAS (for instance if you just access the NAS via your browser), or the 5 minute window ends, then the system will just use the default XRAID.

FWIW, OS 6 handles this differently. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SSkwarkowski,

If I remember correctly, the volume will automatically add up if you have X-RAID configured. When I checked your screenshot, it seems that you just have it in Flex-RAID. Kindly check the "Home" Tab and verify as to what RAID are you really using.

Regards,

Message 2 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@FramerV wrote:

When I checked your screenshot, it seems that you just have it in Flex-RAID.

I agree.  The configuration line should say "X-RAID (Expandable RAID), 4 disks"  if you are using X-RAID.

Assuming that is the issue - you'll either need to destroy and re-create the volume, or do a factory reset.   Either way you will need a backup of your data.

There are some cases where a factory reset would be the preferred approach - you might want to check this article: http://www.rnasguide.com/2011/06/22/why-you-might-want-to-factory-reset-a-sparc-readynas/

Message 3 of 12
SSkwarkowski
Aspirant

I simply did a factory reset. I though X-Raid was set on factory reset? Im not even sure how or if Flex Raid is there.

It simply says this: 

Volume C:Online, RAID Level 5, 4 disks, 95% of 2765 GB used
Message 4 of 12
SSkwarkowski
Aspirant

This is all it says:

Volume C: Online, RAID Level 5, 4 disks, 95% of 2760 GB used

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6s4haz0amo3rbo/Untitled15.png?dl=0

Message 5 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

@SSkwarkowski wrote:

I simply did a factory reset. I though X-Raid was set on factory reset? Im not even sure how or if Flex Raid is there.

XRAID should be the default after a factory default if you let it time out rather than access it via RAIDar and specify what configuration to use.  Are you sure you didn't accidently select RAID5 instead of XRAID, perhaps not recognizing the difference at the time?

Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@SSkwarkowski wrote:

This is all it says:

Volume C: Online, RAID Level 5, 4 disks, 95% of 2760 GB used

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6s4haz0amo3rbo/Untitled15.png?dl=0

It does.  But the screen shot should say X-RAID....

xraid.png

Try doing another factory reset (perhaps from the admin ui).

Message 7 of 12
SSkwarkowski
Aspirant

I dont ever recall being given any options to choose which raid setup I wanted originally (with the 1TB drives). I just did the factory reset and let it do its own thing. 

Im backing up all my data now and going to try a factory reset again in a day or so when its all done copying. I was hoping to avoid this, but it doesnt seem like there is any other solution. 😄

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@SSkwarkowski wrote:

What happens then depends on the details.

With your NAS there is a ~5 minute window after you start the reset where you choose a RAID mode.  You do that by clicking on the setup button in the the RAIDar application.  After you pick a RAID mode you'd go continue with the normal NAS setup.  Since you definitely are using flexraid, I think that must be what you did.

If you don't use RAIDar to set up the NAS (for instance if you just access the NAS via your browser), or the 5 minute window ends, then the system will just use the default XRAID.

FWIW, OS 6 handles this differently. 

Message 9 of 12
SSkwarkowski
Aspirant

OK. That was the missed step originally.

When I first got this second hand, some apparent IT guy had no idea how to get it to work (thats concering hes paid for IT work and cant reset an NAS). I didnt have any windows software at the time as the NAS had some kind of custom login page, IP address, and name from some previous owner. I did the factory reset through the buttons on the unit and never used any software. I had no idea where or how I could choose the RAID mode til now. 

Thank you. That helps tremendously!

Last Q since I really dont want to do this again. Whats the best RAID option for me. Its strickly a media server through Plex. No critical data and its all backed up on multiple sources anyway. I need speed, redundency and space? Thanks again

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

XRAID is fine (and easiest to do).  There's no speed advantage to picking RAID-5 via flexraid, both modes end up using the same RAID structures in your case.

FWIW, your NAS is now maxed, as it does not support drives bigger than 2 TB.

Message 11 of 12
SSkwarkowski
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen. Ill report back again once its completed and working as expected. Sadly, the maxed out part sucks, but its doable for now 😄

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements