× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Service Action to Prevent PSU Failures in ReadyNAS NV/NV

Rant2112
Aspirant

I just became a victim yesterday. 8(

Question -

If I get the replacement power supply should I still do the changes recommended by the service action? (reverse fan or raise min speed)

In other words, is the replacement power supply different, and not prone to the same problem?
Message 301 of 347
tokyomb
Aspirant

This week, I became a victim of this too. Oldest of my three ReadyNAS NV+ units - still within 5 year warranty - all of which are registered at mynetgear.com.

Serial number falls within the affected range... 000DA2013C82

Filed a case (12723094) at online support (mynetgear.com) on 7/28/2010 10:18:00 PM and a follow-up on 7/31/2010 12:21:00 AM to the same case number having had no acknowledgement as yet.

I live in Japan, but am not a Japanese speaker, so hopefully this can be sorted out online / by email without me having to call a Japanese support line.

Looking online I haven't even been able to find a supplier in Japan of the replacement PSU's if I have to go down that route.
Message 302 of 347
sphardy1
Apprentice

I live in Japan, but am not a Japanese speaker, so hopefully this can be sorted out online / by email without me having to call a Japanese support line.

Hello - may I suggest that you contact the US helpline? I realise this is an extra cost.

I went through the same PSU issue and, as I'm impatient, I called the US help line due to the problem happening when I was out of local support hours. The issue was so well known the US team was able to authorise an RMA very quickly (15 mins on the phone max including being transfered from front line to the tech team to the rma team).

I'm sure they will be able offer advice on an english support option in Japan too (I still had to contact local support to get the PSU sent once the RMA was approved)

Good Luck
Message 303 of 347
chirpa
Luminary

I added a note to your case authorizing the RMA, but I can't do anything about the lack of response time.
Message 304 of 347
tokyomb
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
I added a note to your case authorizing the RMA, but I can't do anything about the lack of response time.

Thank you - very much appreciated. Will see if I can sweet-talk my secretary into calling the Japanese support line for me on Monday.

Update:
Have now spoken to the Japanese support line. They are saying because it is an Infrant branded unit they will not honour the RMA, but I can send the unit back for repair at a cost of Yen 20,000 (> $200 US). Given I can buy a brand new diskless NV+ in Japan for Yen 34,000 that seems unreasonable. I note that in the US the part seems to be available for around US$100 so if I cannot get the RMA may have to see if I can buy one online.
Message 305 of 347
garryturk
Aspirant

Hi,

My NV+ -- bought about a week before Infrant were purchased by NetGear -- has a nicely burnt smelling PSU as of today. The unit is in the affected serial number range.

I seem to recall the units bought from Infrant had only a 1-year warranty so am I SOL even if this is the recognised issue? To complicate matters I bought the NV+ while living in the USA but am now in the UK.

Thanks,
Garry
Message 306 of 347
Nassau
Aspirant

Hi everyone,

Looks like i became a victim of this 3 days ago. Went to grab a file from my NAS and it wasn't responding, went into office and it was dead, will not power on at all.

Serial number is 000d-a201-4491 which appears to fall under the affected units. Purchased July of 2007.

I called support and was told the unit was registered to someone else, (name and phone # did not match) purchased in 2005. I bought this unit brand new in 2007 and have the invoice. From what I can read the warranty starts in August of 2007, sigh 😞

I was told my unit was not under warranty but i could get troubleshooting support for $75 an hour.

What can i do? looks like im on my own here, where can i order a compatible PSU?

Thanks
Kyle
Message 307 of 347
Nassau
Aspirant

Update to this thread. Called back customer support yesterday (Wed Dec 29th) and it looks like i got approved for an RMA. It was a bit of a process, I got handed off to 3 or 4 different departments and spent ~ 1.5 hours on the phone.

Im happy that it got to the right individual(s) that understood the problem and could address it for me.

Thanks
Good luck to all with this issue
Kyle
Message 308 of 347
garryturk
Aspirant

Hi,

An update -- after opening an online support request and calling the UK support line I've got a replacement PSU in the mail.

Was hugely impressed with the support -- I'm actually looking for another NAS box and this expeirience may help sway me to ReadyNAS Ultra instead of Drobo.

Garry
Message 309 of 347
SHS_
Aspirant

*bump* :neener:

I have one of the affected NV's and already had the PSU replaced, however on blitzing the unit with the current 4.1.7 firmware, the link for the "Enhance Thermal Characteristics" is dead:

http://www.infrant.com/download/addons/ ... cs_1.1.bin

URL-hacking to:

http://www.readynas.com/download/addons ... cs_1.1.bin ... or
http://www.readynas.com/download/addons ... cs_1.1.bin ... or
http://www.readynas.com/download/addons ... cs_1.1.bin ...

... all also 404. So is this add-on still needed, or is this "feature" already "baked-in" to the 4.1.7 firmware? 🙂
Message 310 of 347
flashmasta
Aspirant

I posted in another thread this morning about this, but my NV+ died yesterday (PSU failure) and the serial # falls into the affected range in the service action. Phone support wasn't helpful at all...does anyone have a contact that can help me get the ball rolling with an RMA? I would even pay for part of the replacement, I'm just not crazy about $120 for a part that was likely to fail anyways and is much more than your average PSU price.
Message 311 of 347
krakhead22
Aspirant

I have an older Infrant NV+ unit SN 000DA2012ACC that died today and I am wondering if its demise is consistent with a PSU failure. Today it didn't show up on my network, so I went to check on it. The LCD display on the bottom was lit, showing the available disk space, but the fan was not on nor any of the disk LEDs. I decided to restart it, but neither pressing or holding the power button had any effect. I then decided to disconnect the power, after reconnecting power and pressing the power button the LEDs blink once and thats it. Further pressing of the power button yields no response, but I am able to get them to blink again after disconnecting and reconnecting the power.

If this behavior is consistent with a PSU failure, is there a chance of me getting a replacement under warranty, or should I plan on buying a replacement myself.

Any insight would be appreciated......
Message 312 of 347
dbott67
Guide

The SN appears to be in range:

Start - 58552 553 470
Yours - 58552 560 332
End - 58552 573 952

I would contact support and see what they can do. Numbers are in my signature below.
Message 313 of 347
dieseldeal
Aspirant

I have a ReadyNAS NV with what appears to be a dead powersupply. It was purchased from Newegg.com in 2007 prior to Netgear acquiring Infrant. Upon calling Netgear support, the serial number / MAC Address (000D-A201-17D7) on my ReadyNAS wasn't allowing the customer support rep to register my device for support. I was asked to send an email to customer.service@netgear.com along with a photograph of the back of my ReadyNAS (w/ serial number) and my proof of purchase (Newegg Invoice). I sent the email as requested four days ago and have not received a response. Can someone please help me out with getting my ReadyNAS back on-line? Many thanks in advance for your help and support!

Update 12.22.2011 - I logged an online support case through the website and received assistance shortly thereafter. My power supply was replaced free of charge and I'm back up and running! Kudos to Netgear!
Message 314 of 347
degrub
Aspirant

i too will be joining the club of dead Infrant power supplies in an NV+. Mine went today. The serial number is in the correct range and i have emailed customer.support@netgear.com with a picture of the unit back , the NewEgg receipt, and the details. i also tried to open a ticket but was unable to login and the password reset does not appear to be responding. i do have an account under the email .

i have another NV+ (Netgear branded) - is it possible to just move the disks over and have it come up without data loss ? or do i have to have the original unit working ?

Thanks for any help

Frank
Message 315 of 347
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

degrub wrote:

i have another NV+ (Netgear branded) - is it possible to just move the disks over and have it come up without data loss ? or do i have to have the original unit working ?

Provided it's another NV+ (v1) and your disks are fine, yes. See http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_migrate_disks_over_from_an_existing_readynas_to_another
Message 316 of 347
degrub
Aspirant

The newer one is a Netgear RND4210-100NAS. ser # 21S5195R500488
Looks like the RND4210 is a Version 2 from the current product listing. Is there anyway to tell for sure on the unit ?

Thanks !
Frank
Message 317 of 347
maxblack
Aspirant

Look at mdgm's guide:

http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how ... -or-nv-v2/

The back panel layout will tell you.
Message 318 of 347
degrub
Aspirant

Thanks ! V1 it appears to be. So a move is possible.
Message 319 of 347
maxblack
Aspirant

degrub wrote:
Thanks ! V1 it appears to be. So a move is possible.

Yes it's real easy--I just did it myself. Of course, there's always the possibility for problems, but hopefully you have a backup too.
Message 320 of 347
degrub
Aspirant

Joy ! new PS on the way. Thanks Netgear support.

BTW, it appears that the email server for tech support may be blacklisted by AT&T/Yahoo ? All of the email from the password reset and from tech support was rat holed and never hit even my spam filter. Switched to a different email and no problem. i ran into this once before when i had a company trying to email me but their server was based in Thailand and AT&T/Yahoo had blacklisted those IP addresses as a spam source.
Message 321 of 347
emk1
Aspirant

How does one derive the serial number to HEX when my serial number contains an 'R' and and 'S'?
Message 322 of 347
Grievous
Aspirant

Your serial number isn't within the range then.
Message 323 of 347
pstrasma
Aspirant

Can anyone recommend a vendor that has actually has NV PSUs available? Every vendor I've checked with says it is a special order item with 6-8 week lead time. Currently have an order in with Amazon but no idea when it might actually ship. Maybe I should buy 2 this time so I have a spare then next time it my unit goes down...

Here's the expected official response from Netgear online support recommending Google shopping:
"Thank you for choosing Netgear ReadyNAS, my name is Cody and I will be your support engineer. I understand you have an NV with power supply issues. I did check your hardware warranty but it has run out, and I also ran your serial number through our recall list (as we have a known power supply issue with some of our devices who fall under a certain range) and did not locate it there. In order to replace your power supply, you'll want to look for part code "RND4PSU1-10000S" in your searches. I did Google search the part code for the power supply and did find many locations that offered it."
Message 324 of 347
chirpa
Luminary

Paul, what region do you live in?
Message 325 of 347
Top Contributors
Announcements