× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Service Action to Prevent PSU Failures in ReadyNAS NV/NV

pstrasma
Aspirant

I'm in the USA. After informing him of the long lead times, Cody arranged a direct purchase from NetGear. That should address my immediate issue. It would seem Netgear should have an interest in ensuring ready availability of spare parts on an expedited basis.
Message 326 of 347
CondoMax
Aspirant

I've joined the bad power supply club. My ReadyNAS NV+ v1 with serial number within the range of faulty units (000D-A201-284F) has bitten the dust. Absolutely nothing happens when I hit the power switch. This is an Infrant unit, purchased December 26, 2006, so it is out of warranty.

I pulled the power supply to have a look, and noted that the ferrite core toroidal coil closest to the center of the PSU had incinerated its fabric covering. As I had no burning smell at any time, I believe that this was not a sudden flame-out, but instead one that took place over a long period. The NV+ is turned on most of the time, being powered down only occasionally to do a dust blow-out. It was up and running when the PSU crapped out.

Having read all the reports here, you'd think I would have purchased a spare so I could avoid significant downtime. I'm a procrastinator, the end result being that I am now dead in the water.

So, I submitted an on-line support ticket (#18668400) to see what Netgear will do for me. I will share my experience with the forum with the hope of saving some unnecessary downtime for other procrastinators out there! 😄

Cheers,
Ben
Message 327 of 347
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

Please keep us posted on your ticket CondoMax. I have been hearing nothing but success stories on the support cases on these.
Message 328 of 347
timbiller
Aspirant

My 2008 NV+ fried its PSU yesterday. I opened a support ticket today just to ask about where to source a replacement from in the UK and Netgear support, after being sent my original receipt from Dabs for the system, have issued an RMA for the whole chassis!

This is such superb service - I have left very positive feedback for the support staff involved.

Cheers, Tim
Message 329 of 347
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A NV+ purchased new in 2008 would still be under warranty. Remember they came with a 5 year warranty back then.
Message 330 of 347
Utina23701
Aspirant

Hello,

we have a ReadyNAS NV+ (S/N 000D-A201-3F34) bought in August 2007, so its out of warranty, an the PSU died recently.

Is there any chance to get e new PSU from netgear nevertheless?

I called german support and they told me they never had a service action für ReadyNAS PSU and they couldnt do anything. Is it true that this is handled differently in Europe/Germany than US?

Thanks for help.
Message 331 of 347
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I suggest you contact beisser. He would probably know or be able to find out (or direct you to someone who can) what the policy is in Germany.
Message 332 of 347
WSLam
Aspirant

Where can I buy a RND4PSU1-10000S? I am in HK...
Message 333 of 347
rkalla
Aspirant

New poster here; purchased the NV+ a number of years ago and have a unit with a Serial # that falls in the PSU Fan Service range (viewtopic.php?p=54911) -- unfortunately my PSU just died (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70005&p=388412), any ideas where I can get a replacement?
Message 334 of 347
StephenB
Guru

no need to double-post. Try support.netgear.com first.
Message 335 of 347
rkalla
Aspirant

StephenB -- yea sorry about that, there are two concerns I have that I didn't do a good job clarifying in the other thread:

1. If I can find a replacement PSU somewhere, I'd rather just fix the NV+ myself. Given how huge this thread is and few folks successfully finding replacement PSUs in it, I thought I'd ask about that.

2. In this thread and the other thread, the Service Action item is to reverse the fan and add an addon to your NV+ -- all assuming the NV+ is still running... mine is dead. I haven't seen anyone comment that Netgear is fixing these units or sending out replacement PSUs (and got done reading Netgear support horror stories on Amazon last night) so I'm trying to find a way to fix this myself.

As you pointed out though, I guess I don't have a choice and need to start with netgear support... I am sort of expecting to be back here in 12hrs asking where anyone can find a replacement PSU though -- so I'm trying to get that ball rolling first 😞
Message 336 of 347
StephenB
Guru

There are several posters here who have gotten RMAs from Netgear fairly recently who had dead PSUs with units in the affected serial numbers.

Though there is also a recent poster who was told by Netgear that the PSU was unavailable. He was not qualified for the service action however.

There are some threads on how to adapt a stock PSU for the NV+. I haven't tried it, though you might want to search the forums for it.
Message 337 of 347
FenterSpooner
Aspirant

It appears my ReadyNas NV power supply is on it's last leg. I powered it down after probably a good 2 years without shutting it down and decided to give it a good cleaning job (get the dust out and stuff). I had noticed what sounded like a fan starting to fail so it gave me an opportunity to explore. I initially thought it was the main fan but it ended up being the power supply fan. I took the cover off the power supply to check out the fan and there they were, three bulging, leaking caps! Obviously I bought this unit back in 2006 (Infrant branded) so it's way out of warranty and not included in the power supply service advisory.

My unit is still up and functioning for now, but I was debating if I should go ahead and replace the 3 bad caps and throw in a new fan in the current power supply, or buy a suitable replacement (and make the appropriate wiring changes). If I get the PS back in good shape I'm thinking about throwing in 4 new 2TB drives to give it new life and purpose as my backup unit for my RN314.

Thanks!
Message 338 of 347
StephenB
Guru

The main issue with a third party PSU is that it almost certainly won't fit inside the chassis. So you need to put it outside, unless you can find one of the hard-to-find (and expensive) netgear replacements. Probably no harm in attempting the repair, you can always pick the the third party PSU if it fails.

It is convenient to use older ReadyNAS to back up the main one - I am using a duo v1 and a nv+ v1 to back up my pro-6. I'll retire the duo in favor of the RN102 fairly soon (they are running in parallel now).
Message 339 of 347
borgchick
Aspirant

My NV's PSU blew (ie, snap crackle, pop multiple capacitors) a week ago. I managed to find an identical Seventeam ST-FUB220-05E PSU. However, when I plugged it in, I got nothing. I noticed though the new PSU's plug wiring was slightly different from mine. Then I found this thread which confirms my suspicions:

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13492

So off I go trying to figure out how to pull out some ATX connector pins without the proper tools. It turns out, long header pins (such as https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10158) which you can get easily from your electronics store are perfect. So I used some needle nose pliers to stick two pins into each side of the ATX connector, then a little bit of wiggling, and out comes the connector.

As the above post said, pin 12 and 18 must be +12V. These can be found on the extra 12V connector (it has two black and two yellows, you want the two 12V yellows lines). So I plug the two yellows into pin 12 and 18. Connect the PSU to the NV's board, said a little prayer, and hit the power button. Oh I've never been so happy to see that glowing blue power light!

So anyway, the above is the good news.

The bad news is, as I start to reassemble the NV, I realize the original PSU has one additional difference: cable length. The main ATX connector is approx 12 inch from the PSU. Where as on the otherwise identical new PSU, the connector is only maybe 8" or so. Anyway, so my NV is no longer this pretty thing that's all self contained, but at least I can power it on now and get files off it. I suppose I'll have to figure out some way of improving the aesthetics of it (either by extending the cable, or by making an adapter)

I hope this post helps others as the above post from long ago has helped me.

TL;DR: It is possible to replace the NV's PSU without purchasing the expensive and hard-to-find official part.

-borgchick
Message 340 of 347
FenterSpooner
Aspirant

I actually purchased the same power supply and modified it like you did. After making the appropriate pin changes (I have a molex tool for that), I modified the cover over the fan to allow the cables to come through over the middle of the power supply.

I first cut the wire ties on the power supply cable bundles (allows it to flatten out), then I removed the bracket on the power supply that covers the fan (has some foam material on it). I bent the top back and forth until it snapped off and then put some tape over the rough edge that is remaining. I re-installed the bracket so that it secures the power supply correctly. The power cable will just barely fit (flatten out the cables). I would suggest plugging in the power supply before mounting the bottom to the RN unit.

It will be just a bit tight but will go together just fine.

PM me if you have any questions or would like any help.
Message 341 of 347
bullfrog1
Tutor

Hi

I too had a PSU failure with a NV+, which I replaced with an alternative, some time ago. However rather than modifying the PSU's pinout itself, I purchased an ATX extension cable ( Male to Female) and modified the pinout on that. This had the advantage that any future failures I can simply swap the PSU for another without worrying about pinouts. It also extends the replacement PSUs power cable overcoming the requirement for it to sit outside the box.

The PSU i used was a Seasonic 250W 1U server rack PSU cost me £25 (uk) on ebay.

Hope that helps someone.

Bullfrog
Message 342 of 347
SuperRoach
Aspirant

NV+ In service range here. I had it blow up (the psu) earlier this week. I thought why not, and tried an email RMA Wednesday night. Thursday morning, a call from USA asking for my address, telling me they'll ship it.

Thursday, It arrives in the mail, a replacement PSU! (Australia). Very impressive service from them 🙂

Swapped it over today and am continuing to transfer the data from it.
Message 343 of 347
eteng65
Aspirant

You have received it? Can you provide me with more information about it??
Message 344 of 347
StephenB
Guru

eteng65 wrote:
You have received it? Can you provide me with more information about it??
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10259
Message 345 of 347
luya0611
Aspirant

Super,merci beaucoup pour les infos,et je vais aller ce site
Message 346 of 347
darkfader
Aspirant

My NV+ somewhat died. After some moments after "booting..." it says poof and all lights go out (I guess the fuse doesn't activate). I didn't see anything wrong with the PSU at first. I has been running 24/7 for 4 years but had to replace the fusebox lately. The outlet isn't grounded but shouldn't be a problem, right?
edit: I located where it sparked. It went via the FETs and heatsink to the casing. I ordered a a new PSU. I don't think I have a 4pin minifit connector left to solder though, so I wouldn't have to swap the -5/-12 wires for the +12. edit2: I acquired a connector but then found out the fan is in the way xD. edit3: hacked a hole for the little PSU fan and now running again. I somehow managed to put unused wiring away in empty spaces.
Message 347 of 347
Top Contributors
Announcements