× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up email alerts for ReadyNAS Pro 4 with Comcast

MacCollector
Aspirant

Setting up email alerts for ReadyNAS Pro 4 with Comcast

I want to set up email alerts for my ReadyNAS Pro 4 but I get an error message: Unable to contact SMTP host. Please check your entry. All the info I put in is correct for Comcast. My comcast email address as User, my email password, smtp.comcast.net, port 465 and Use TLS is checked. What am I doing wrong? I'm using an ORBI router and a Comcast modem.

Model: RNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps try port 587 instead.

If the NAS is using a static IP address, then make sure you configured a DNS server.

Message 2 of 14
MacCollector
Aspirant

I have a DNS Server assigned on my mac. On my NAS, the default gateway is the same as the DNS server on my mac. Is that what you mean? I'm sorry, I'm not a particularly savvy user.

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@MacCollector wrote:

I have a DNS Server assigned on my mac. On my NAS, the default gateway is the same as the DNS server on my mac. Is that what you mean? I'm sorry, I'm not a particularly savvy user.

The gateway should be the same IP address as your router (and that should match the gateway setting on the mac). 

Is the DNS server address on the mac the same as the gateway address on the mac?

Message 4 of 14
MacCollector
Aspirant

Yes, DNS server address on the mac is the same as the gateway address on the mac. I'm having the same problem with my other computer and my other NAS's as well. Two different networks.

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@MacCollector wrote:

I'm having the same problem with my other computer and my other NAS's as well. Two different networks.

Can you describe the overall network setup?  I'm understanding what you mean by two different networks.

Message 6 of 14
MacCollector
Aspirant

One is a Comcast business network with a combination modem/router-wireless unit that has a phone attached, 2 computers, printer and 4 NAS devices all attached via cat5. Located in the basement.

The other is a home Comcast network with a modem, and the Orbi Router Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000 that has one computer, one printer, and one NAS attached. The modem and Orbi wifi is located on the main floor. There is an Orbi Satellite in the basement.

Both networks share the same incoming cable and a splitter separates the two cables at the point of entry in basement.

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Thx, that helps.  Did you try port 587 as suggested above?

Message 8 of 14
MacCollector
Aspirant

Yes

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@MacCollector wrote:

Yes

And it failed the same way?

Per Comcast, the instructions are:

• Outgoing Mail Server Name: smtp.comcast.net
  • Outgoing Mail Server Port Number: 587 (SMTP)
    • If Needed: 465 (SMTPS)
  • Encryption: TLS (use SSL if TLS isn't shown.)
  • Authentication: Type in your Comcast username and password

I asked earlier if you had set up the NAS to use static IP addresses.  This would have required you to manually assign the IP address in the NAS network configuration.  Are either NAS set up that way?

Also, have you tried to set up email notifications using a different email provider?

Message 10 of 14
MacCollector
Aspirant

Yes, it fails the same way. I tried port 587 and both networks give me the following error when setting up email notifications:

"Unable to contact SMTP host. Please check your entry."

I checked email login, checked password, confirmed "custom" and port 587. TLS is checked.

I am using my comcast email address to send the notifications. My main email provider is internet based (I go online to check my emails). My other email provider is G-mail - but from Netgear's instructions, only large company g-mails are supported and mine is internet based.

I do not know how to make the NAS a static IP address.

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@MacCollector wrote:

My other email provider is G-mail - but from Netgear's instructions, only large company g-mails are supported and mine is internet based.

Who told you that?  I have a consumer gmail account, and I use that to send email notifications on my ReadyNAS.

On the gmail account side, you do need to

• disable two factor authentication
  • turn "less secure app access" on

On the ReadyNAS, I have

• Alert Contact 1: set to my full gmail address
  • Email Provider: set to gmail
  • User: set to my gmail user name (without the @Gmail.com part)
  • Password: set to my gmail account password

Clicking on "advanced", I see

• SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
  • SMTP port: 587
Message 12 of 14
MacCollector
Aspirant

Thank you so much for staying with me on this problem. I still have the same error message "Unable to contact SMTP host. Please check your entry." This is so frustrating. I used to have the email alerts all set up at my previous business location. Same email addresses (but I didn't use Gmail, I used my business email - which is the same as in my previous location), that location was Comcast Business (which is one of my networks here at home - Comcast Business, the other network is residential Comcast) My responses are in red below:

Who told you that? I have a consumer gmail account, and I use that to send email notifications on my ReadyNAS.

I read it in the help directions on the Netgear website for the NAS I have.

On the gmail account side, you do need to

• disable two factor authentication Done
  • turn "less secure app access" on Done

On the ReadyNAS, I have

• Alert Contact 1: set to my full gmail address Done
  • Email Provider: set to gmail Done
  • User: set to my gmail user name (without the @Gmail.com part) Done
  • Password: set to my gmail account password Done

Clicking on "advanced", I see

• SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com Comes up automatically - can't change it - grayed out.
  • SMTP port: 587 Comes up automatically - can't change it - grayed out.
  • From: gmail user name (again without the @Gmail.com) Can't do this part: it automatically comes up with the Alert Contact 1 email address - no way to change it - grayed out.

*** after "FROM", I also have a box to check "Use TLS". This is automatically checked off (grayed out, can't change).

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@MacCollector wrote:

I still have the same error message "Unable to contact SMTP host. Please check your entry."

Well, getting this with both email accounts suggests that the NAS is unable to reach the internet.

Can you download the log zip file from the logs page?  Then look in connman.log, and see if there are messages like the ones below.

Jan 05 18:14:24 NAS connmand[5597]: ntp: adjust (slew): +0.000417 sec
Jan 05 18:31:28 NAS connmand[5597]: ntp: adjust (slew): -0.000659 sec
Jan 05 18:48:32 NAS connmand[5597]: ntp: adjust (slew): -0.000682 sec
Jan 05 19:05:36 NAS connmand[5597]: ntp: adjust (slew): +0.000557 sec
Jan 05 19:13:04 NAS connmand[5597]: ntp: adjust (slew): -0.000023 sec

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements