× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: State of ReadyNAS/Netgear

bhata
Tutor

State of ReadyNAS/Netgear

I'm an owner of a ReadyNAS NV+ and am looking to upgrade.  They use to have expansion bays, but apparently it is no longer sold.  When I started to narrow down the model I was interested in, (e.g. RN426), I can't seem to find them online at online stores that I typically frequent (e.g. Newegg, B&H, etc.).  The RN426 appears to be less than a year old.

Is Netgear having issues?  They recently stopped selling VPN routers, which I was also in the market for.  What's going on with Netgear?

Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 426 is a current model as is the 428, 526X, 528X, 626X and 628X.

I don't know why the online stores you frequent aren't selling the 426. It's still a fairly new model.

The Business VPN firewalls were getting old and we made the decision to discontinue them. Those decisions are not taken lightly.

We do have Nighthawk routers with OpenVPN support.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

wrote:

When I started to narrow down the model I was interested in, (e.g. RN426), I can't seem to find them online at online stores that I typically frequent (e.g. Newegg, B&H, etc.).  

Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD6H5US0393

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ReadyNAS-Performance-Processor-RN42600-100NES/dp/B071VPMZ7L

B&H seems to carry only rack-mount ReadyNAS

Message 3 of 6
bhata
Tutor

wrote:

I don't know why the online stores you frequent aren't selling the 426. It's still a fairly new model.

The Business VPN firewalls were getting old and we made the decision to discontinue them. Those decisions are not taken lightly.

We do have Nighthawk routers with OpenVPN support.

I know that the market is ever changing and can be difficult to compete against the likes of big companies like Cisco.  As much as I have appreciated Netgear products and support, and would like to continue purchasing, I'm a bit concerned.

re: Nighthawk router, for my home I would consider, but for small business, I probably would not use.

I don't have to make a decision right now, so I'll monitor the situation.  Perhaps there's something with the online stores(?).

Message 4 of 6
bhata
Tutor

Thanks for the reply...  The Newegg link actually shows that it's sold by BTE Outlet.  Although I've never bought computer/network equipment from Amazon, I would possibly consider it.   B&H:  didn't want rack mount system.

I'm concerned that relatively new NAS models are not sold or marked as 'out-of stock' (Provantage).  Are the online stores deciding to pare down their inventory?  Is the market soft?  Is Netgear emphasizing other markets (e.g. more consumer market, surveillance,  etc.)  I'll have to wait and see...

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

wrote: 

re: Nighthawk router, for my home I would consider, but for small business, I probably would not use.

Orbi Pro is probably a better choice for a small business.  It also has the openVPN feature.

Though it's not a feature that joins two sites into a single network.  The usual mode is to use the openVPN server in the router to allow secure remote access.

FWIW, I see 25+ on-line stores selling most of the new desktop models in google shopping (which excludes Amazon).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements