× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Thunderbolt

cstumpf750
Aspirant

Thunderbolt

Any chance you guys are considering putting Thunderbolt connectors into future ReadyNAS products? Two Thunderbolt ports would allow for expanding the array with another NAS box and it is faster than eSATA while allowing for hot swap. It would also allow for plugging the NAS into a SAN array with an adapter to convert from Thunderbolt to Fiberchannel. Lots of other possibilities too.
Message 1 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

+1. I'd like to see Thunderbolt too or something fast like it.
Message 2 of 14
lchapuis
Aspirant

yes the ability to "stack" multiple Nas like switchs could be be very interesting ...
Message 3 of 14
jdog62
Aspirant

+1.... I would love to be able to backup more quickly, or use the system for a scratch drive as well...
Message 4 of 14
claykin
Aspirant

I would like to see a native external disk connection supported so Netgear can properly support SMART data.
Message 5 of 14
CharlesLaCour
Aspirant

If there is going to be another type of interface added I would prefer to see something like FireWire 800.

I am not sure how well Thunderbolt is going to be adopted outside the Apple world. But then again it was apple that started using FireWire long before the Wintel side of the house so there may be some benefit in the long run for a Thunderbolt connector on the ReadyNAS but not for a while.
Message 6 of 14
cstumpf750
Aspirant

Thunderbolt would allow any other port type to be added with an adapter, so Firewire 800, USB 3, FiberChannel, etc.
Message 7 of 14
cstumpf750
Aspirant

Well, Drobo has announce they are adding Thunderbolt to their storage devices.

So any response to that Netgear?
Message 8 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We'll have to wait and see what they do. NetGear doesn't announce their plans long before new products go on sale.
Message 9 of 14
paulhiphop
Aspirant

Lacie just anounced their 5 disk Thunderbolt RAID NAS.
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10607
Netgear better get a move on - loyalty is nice but workflow is priority.
USB 2 is too slow. If Netgear are the same it will cost them dear.
Message 10 of 14
chirpa
Luminary

Promise has had a Thunderbolt RAID box for awhile now too. I'm using their TB JBOD unit for my new NAS.
Message 11 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

paulhiphop wrote:

USB 2 is too slow.

Considering the 2-bay x86 models have a USB3 port on the front, and the Duo/NV+ v2 have two USB3 ports on the rear I would be very surprised if any new desktop models introduced in the future didn't at least have a USB3 port.
Message 12 of 14
Observer1
Aspirant

The LaCie products have the same device either configured to be DAS or NAS/SAN, they swap out the Ethernet for the Thunderbolt between versions.

A competitive advantage would be to support both simultaneously. NAS/SAN for regular use or plug in a thunderbolt cable for when you have to do a full disk restore, and also use the bus externally to connect the expander chassis with better performance than eSATA

Of course now we'd need Thunderbolt 2!

I see a scenario where I connect to the DAS/NAS to my Mac Pro via Thunderbolt 2 (leveraging the device as a DAS) and support other devices though Gig ethernet (As NAS). The Thunderbolt connectivity could also then offer the ability support thunderbolt chaining, and even a hub to USB3, HDMI, Gig Ethernet for the connected Mac Pro. Albeit this could otherwise be achieved by chaining a thunderbolt dock in too, indent just supporting connectivity for the NAS/DAS device.
Message 13 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The ReadyNAS is not a peripheral. If you feel gigabit network performance is not enough you may wish to consider e.g. the 716x which has a couple of 10GBase-T ports.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements