× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ultra 4 Plus Memory Upgrade Advice Needed

Ripperoo
Aspirant

Ultra 4 Plus Memory Upgrade Advice Needed

I finally got myself a ReadyNAS 'Ultra 4 Plus' after what seems like an eternity.

Got it for what I thought at the time was a decent price around two weeks ago for £418 and no it's dropped again to £375. Bummer!

Anyway I'm thinking about upgrading the memory to 4GB, but what do I get?

I come accross several branded 4GB modules which are as follows:

The prices listed above are from independant retailers as opposed to the manufacturers store price.

Also found on a certain auction site:

Still a bit more expensive than across the pond in the US I guess, but these seem to be the best delivered prices I can find for branded modules from known online retailers in the UK.

I did find some "KomputerBay" branded modules which were cheaper, but seem to get mixed reviews.

I understand that some of the above are in fact "PC2-6400 (800MHz)", but can I assume this won't impact on performance and the module will just operate at the lower speed?

Also, if anyone knows of a different reliable brand and model # available in the UK, feel free to add them here.
--
Thanks guys
Message 1 of 37
dbott67
Guide

Re: Ultra 4 Plus Memory Upgrade Advice Needed

Although many folks have upgraded the RAM in their devices without issue, it should be mentioned that this is something that is no longer supported by Netgear. If you decide to upgrade, you should keep the old memory module to swap back in the event of problems. Having said that, TecknoJnky had success with PC2-5300:

TeknoJnky wrote:
working so far

Model:	ReadyNAS Ultra 4 [X-RAID2]
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.16-T25
Memory: 3968 MB [DDR2]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820220495

Patriot 4GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Laptop Memory Model PSD24G6672S

Message 2 of 37
Ripperoo
Aspirant

Thanks for that dbott67

How does Patriot measure up in the world of RAM though?

I can't say I've heard of them. That being said, they may be one of the better module manufacturers.

Anyone know the preferred order of RAM manufaturers?

CRUCIAL
KINGSTON
CORSAIR
PATRIOT
HYNIX
SAMSUNG
Message 3 of 37
dbott67
Guide

They seem to be pretty prevalent on this side of the pond and likely fall within the same group as Kingston Crucial & Corsair.

You should feel pretty safe going with the Crucial PC2-5300.
Message 4 of 37
Ripperoo
Aspirant

Well, I ended up taking a chance on the Corsair 4GB module on Amazon:
Corsair 4GB, 200-Pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800MHz) - (VS4GSDS800D2)

The above module is currently £63.76 (RRP £161.55 apparently). :shock:

Installed within minutes and ran 3 memory tests on it over about 15 hours with no errors.

Is that good or should more tests be ran before putting faith in the memory?

Advice welcomed.
Message 5 of 37
dbott67
Guide

Personally, I would feel pretty confident. The jedis recommend running the memtest at least twice (apparently memtest only has an 85% success rate for flagging bad memory - faq.php#Is_there_a_way_I_can_verify_if_my_memory_is_good%3F).

Just keep an eye on the system and be prepared to swap the old memory back in the event of problems. Any problems may not necessarily be caused by the new memory, however, being able to swap back would help eliminate/isolate the problem.

-Dave
Message 6 of 37
Ripperoo
Aspirant

Hey Dave
dbott67 wrote:
Just keep an eye on the system and be prepared to swap the old memory back in the event of problems.

Thanks, I will do.
Message 7 of 37
zom414
Aspirant

Sorry to reply to an old thread but I've not been here for a while (always the same when your kit is working 🙂 ).

What sort of performance gains would there be with using 4GB? I currently have 1GB in my Ultra 4.
Message 8 of 37
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you're not running memory intensive add-ons there's no point upgrading the memory.
Message 9 of 37
samuk
Aspirant

what would you say is a memory intensive plugin?
Message 10 of 37
dbott67
Guide

From FAQ: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/performance/will_increasing_the_amount_of_memory_in_the_readynas_impr...

...indexing a large number of media files [like Slim server or other media streaming apps], running rsync backups, or accessing large folders, you will see improvements.
Message 11 of 37
craffert0
Aspirant

While you shouldn't need more than 1GB for running programs, more memory means more disk cache, and for a file server, more memory is ALWAYS useful.
Message 12 of 37
beglitis
Aspirant

Hi,

Do these 4GB modules also work in Ultra 2 (1.5GHz version) as well? Would be good to know because I am looking to upgrade. Before anybody asks, I am using my NVX and soon my Ultra 2 as small Linux servers (running anything from Joomla to MySQL, dovecot/postfix/spamassasin/clamav, postgres etc) so yes I really need the memory 🙂

Thank you!

Nick
Message 13 of 37
beglitis
Aspirant

Forgot to mention that I even run JIRA/Confluence/Bamboo/Perforce in my NVX (I love this thing) but I would be keen to migrate as many things possible to the Ultra 2 to split the load a bit. 4GB would be beautiful.
Message 14 of 37
fastfwd
Virtuoso

beglitis wrote:
Do these 4GB modules also work in Ultra 2 (1.5GHz version) as well?

No, but you can upgrade to 2GB. See this thread: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=52557&start=15#p379994
Message 15 of 37
beglitis
Aspirant

Understood. I thought maybe there was a chance that a 4GB module might actually work (despite the chipset's constraints). I really need to ask someone who knows about hardware design why does size matters in this case... (just out of curiosity)
Message 16 of 37
fastfwd
Virtuoso

beglitis wrote:
Understood. I thought maybe there was a chance that a 4GB module might actually work (despite the chipset's constraints). I really need to ask someone who knows about hardware design why does size matters in this case... (just out of curiosity)

You can download the CPU datasheet and see for yourself:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/atom-d400-d500-vol-1-datashee...
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/atom-d400-d500-vol-2-datashee...

And actually, I'm not sure now that the thread to which I pointed you is relevant. I just re-read your original question and I see that you have the 1.5GHz Ultra 2. The CPU in that NAS is apparently an Intel Atom D405, but that part number isn't mentioned in the Intel D400/D500 Series datasheet. Therefore, I don't know if it's based on the D410 or the D425. If it's in the D425 family, the DDR3 SODIMMs recommended in that other thread should work. If it's in the D410 family, though, you'll need DDR2 memory.

Sorry I missed that the first time I read your question.

Anyway, the supported memory organization is described in Volume 1 of the datasheet on pages 9 and 27-30. As you can see, the largest memory module supported (whether DDR2 or DDR3) is 2GB. The CPUs support 4GB total, but to get 4GB you'd have to install two modules... And there's only one memory-module slot on the circuit board. (That is, there's only one slot on the Ultra 2 Plus circuit board; I guess it's conceivable that the Ultra 2 might have two slots, but I'd be very surprised.)

Again, sorry for the possibly misleading pointer to that other thread, and good luck on your upgrade.
Message 17 of 37
beglitis
Aspirant

Thanks fastfwd. I will go for the 2GB module. I like the ReadyNAS form factor and I would ideally like to convert one (either a 4 bay or 2 bay) to a small server. I have succeeded with my NVX but it is 32 bits and goes only up to 4GB. 8GB (or more) with a 64 bit cpu would be perfect particularly with a custom os in the NAS. But that is of course a completely different topic.
Message 18 of 37
beglitis
Aspirant

For the record, the memory shipped with the Ultra 2 1.5GHz is DDR3.
Message 19 of 37
fastfwd
Virtuoso

beglitis wrote:
For the record, the memory shipped with the Ultra 2 1.5GHz is DDR3.

Good. The DDR3 SODIMMs referenced in that other thread should work fine.
Message 20 of 37
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

4-bay and 6-bay Ultra/Ultra Plus/Pro would use DDR2, whereas the 2-bay Ultra/Ultra Plus/Pro would use DDR3, I think. The 2-bay models were designed later and also had a USB 3 port on the front whereas the 4-bay and 6-bay models had no USB 3 ports.
Message 21 of 37
jdh500
Aspirant

Recently installed a 4gb corsair ddr2 memory into a readynas ultra 4 which had 6 memory passes without issue, I also have a new Readynas Pro 4 which s pretty much the same unit but dual core atom, is there any reason to do such an extensive memory test again if I'm looking at transferring the same memory from the Ultra 4 to the Pro 4. Will 1 or 2 passes of the memory test be ok and I'm wasting my time doing say another 5 to 6 paths on the same memory ?

JDH
Message 22 of 37
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would think a few passes should be sufficient.
Message 23 of 37
samculi
Aspirant

which memory's speed for DDR2 for the ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus ?

My unit came default 1 GB memory. I would like to upgrade to the max.

Thanks,
Sam
Message 24 of 37
ewickham
Aspirant

I've tried upgrading my Ultra Plus 2 to 2GB using the module that fastfwd references for his Ultra 2 Plus, CT25664BC1067. which CPU specs the same as mine. Them memory lists as a Crucial 2GB DDR3 1066 MT/s (PC3-8500) CL7 SODIMM 204-Pin Notebook Memory Module. I've tried the same part number from two different vendors (receiving the same Micron equivalent) and neither appears to even make it past POST. The fan just comes on and continues at a high RPM. The system reboots normally after reinserting the stock 1GB module. Am I missing something here? Maybe some BIOS pre-configuration change prior to installing the new memory?
Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements