× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ultra 4 suddenly reports all disks dead

nansur
Aspirant

Ultra 4 suddenly reports all disks dead

After working normally for several weeks tonight my Ultra 4 suddenly started to report the status of all three disks as "Dead", and the file system as unprotected and degraded.
However the data is still accessible, and a volume scan finds no errors.
The error persists after rebooting the NAS.
If anyone has any suggestings on how to resolve this it would be greatly appreciated!

/Martin
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What brand and model disks?

What firmware version is on the disks (you can check for each disk under Status > Health > SMART+ in Frontview)?

Have you got any SMART errors on those disks?
Message 2 of 4
nansur
Aspirant

2x WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0
1x Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166
I did not have any SMART errors before the problem.
The disks show up green in Raidar with temperatures reported, but show up as dead in Frontview I dont have access to the SMART status from Frontview.
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

If you are using XRAID-2, and have access to your data, then the good news is that your disks aren't dead. (one could possibly be dead, but if you had more than that you wouldn't see any data at all).

The first thing you should do at this point is make a backup. You should also open a support ticket. If you purchased within 90 days, you still have free phone support. If not, you can still open a free on-line support request. Normally Netgear wants you to edit your initial post to add in the case number. That lets them cross-check what's posted here against your case file.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements