× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to mount/format USB Drive

cmajewsk
Aspirant

Unable to mount/format USB Drive

I changed the name of the USB drive within the RN 600 and now it will let me see it but not mount/use it. I connected it to a Windows 2000 machine and it sees it fine and the files there.

Model: Infrant ReadyNAS 600
Firmware: RAIDiator™ v3.00c1-p2 [1.00a131]

USB Storage Devices

The following USB storage devices are connected. Unmount the device if you wish to rename it.

If I try to Format FAT or EXT3 - nothing happens. I hit the "GO" button and then nothing. Even apply does not un-gray out. Any Ideas? It sees it - it's posintg a green light within the USB tab under Volumes. If I select any option and hit "GO" nothing will happen, however it I select another menu in the Frontview it will tell my my changes were not applied.

Device Part Description Disk Used Capacity File System

TertiaryOffsite - WDC WD20 00JB-00DUA0 - 186 GB No Filesystem OptionsLocateFormat FAT32Format EXT3
Message 1 of 32
cmajewsk
Aspirant

Although it sees that there is a USB connected drive in the Share List view it doesn't:

Shares on USB Storage Devices

No USB shares exist. Plug in a USB storage device and click Refresh to display a USB share.
Message 2 of 32
Han_Solo
Tutor

Hi cmajewsk,

Could you try your USB drive again and then send me the logs please. Thanks.

If you are unsure how to send all logs here is a link that will help. Also if you could place Attention: Han in the message heading.

http://www.infrant.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1140
Message 3 of 32
cmajewsk
Aspirant

Ok...

When you say, "try your USB drive again" what exacly do you want me to? Unplug it, and replug it in, reboot the RN after that, then try and format? Any specific steps you want me to follow?

Thanks,

cmajewsk
Message 4 of 32
Han_Solo
Tutor

Re: Ok...

cmajewsk wrote:
When you say, "try your USB drive again" what exacly do you want me to? Unplug it, and replug it in, reboot the RN after that, then try and format? Any specific steps you want me to follow?

Thanks,

cmajewsk

Try and format your USB dive again like you were trying earlier. Umount and mount the USB drive. I basically wanted you to repeat what you have been having problems with then send all the logs right after. Thanks.
Message 5 of 32
cmajewsk
Aspirant

Ok

Ok logs sent via the ReadNas and from myway.com email account. Thanks!
Message 6 of 32
cmajewsk
Aspirant

hmmmm

Any ideas? I sent my logs last week...

Let me know if you did not get them.

cmajewsk
Message 7 of 32
bobb1
Aspirant

I am having the SAME exact problem as cmajewsk.

Ready NAS 600
Firmware: RAIDiator™ v3.00c1-p2

I changed the name of my USB drive. Since that time, I see it in Front View, under Volumes/USB Storage. It states the following USB device is connected. Light is green. My dropdown choices are Locate, Format FAT32, Format EXT3. None of these options work when GO is clicked.

On the shares list page, I see the following:

No USB shares exist. Plug in a USB storage device and click Refresh to display a USB share.

I have tried unplugging and replugging in the USB drive. Nothing seems to work.

I so not see a solution above so I will send my logs!

Thanks,
Bob
Message 8 of 32
cmajewsk
Aspirant

Finally...

I was kinda hoping someone else would have this issue...sorry...

I am using a Western Digital 200GB SE Drive and an Vantec Nexstar 3 USB as it's listed in their compatibility chart. I have been using this for over a year now, and had no issues until I upgraded the RAIDiator image to version 3 and renamed the drive.

I have been working with Infrant and thus far no solution. I have plugged in a USB flash drive to the ReadyNAS USB port(s) and it works fine. I have plugged the Vantce drive enclosure into a few different PC's and it also mounts and works fine. They had me format the drive 😞 which I did and still the same thing happens. I have sent the logs multiple times, most recently when I inserted the Vantec to the ReadyNAS.

Anyone else seeing this?
Message 9 of 32
Han_Solo
Tutor

cmajewsk,

Can you try formating your USB drive using the following,

http://www.mager.org/mkdosfs/

Let me know if this helps. If you have any questions let me know.
Message 10 of 32
cmajewsk
Aspirant

Sure

Han Solo wrote:
cmajewsk,

Can you try formating your USB drive using the following,

http://www.mager.org/mkdosfs/

Let me know if this helps. If you have any questions let me know.

Sure not a problem, I'll try that tonight. BTW, just confirming that you know it's a standard EIDE drive in a USB enclosure.

Many thanks,

cmajewsk
Message 11 of 32
bobb1
Aspirant

I tried reformatting the drive as well using the program above. Same issue, the drive shows up under Volumes/USB - green light etc as described above but not on the shares page in Frontview.

Bob
Message 12 of 32
Han_Solo
Tutor

bobb wrote:
I tried reformatting the drive as well using the program above. Same issue, the drive shows up under Volumes/USB - green light etc as described above but not on the shares page in Frontview.

Bob

Hi Bob,

If you could please send me all your logs to me. I want to see if it is the same thing that cmajewsk reported. If you need info on how to send all logs look below. Also, please insert Attn: Han Solo in the subject line. Thanks.

http://www.infrant.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1140
Message 13 of 32
bobb1
Aspirant

Han Solo.....logs on the way!

Bob
Message 14 of 32
bobb1
Aspirant

Hey Han -

Been a few weeks. Have you examined the logs?

Thanks,
Bob
Message 15 of 32
Han_Solo
Tutor

bobb wrote:
Hey Han -

Been a few weeks. Have you examined the logs?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Check your PM.
Message 16 of 32
marcus2
Aspirant

bobb wrote:
I am having the SAME exact problem as cmajewsk.

Ready NAS 600
Firmware: RAIDiator™ v3.00c1-p2

I changed the name of my USB drive. Since that time, I see it in Front View, under Volumes/USB Storage. It states the following USB device is connected. Light is green. My dropdown choices are Locate, Format FAT32, Format EXT3. None of these options work when GO is clicked.

On the shares list page, I see the following:

I have tried unplugging and replugging in the USB drive. Nothing seems to work.

I so not see a solution above so I will send my logs!

Thanks,
Bob

I have the same problem as well, with a ReadyNAS NV w/RAIDiator™ v3.01c1-p4 [1.00a032]. I originally had inserted the disk, which had a couple of NTFS partitions (that I couldn't use, of course, since the NAS needs ext3 or FAT32). I had changed the name of the drive using the NAS UI - but then I couldn't seem to format or change the disk (delete partitions, then create new ones).

I even plugged the external drive into a Linux box, formatted it ext3, and re-attached it to the NAS. It still shows up (as bobb described) with a green light and three options - Locate, Format ext3, and format FAT32 - that don't do anything when you click "Go".

Internally, the NAS sees it - I downloaded and checked the system.log:

Dec 3 20:10:55 nas kernel: WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
Dec 3 20:10:55 nas kernel: USB Mass Storage device found at 3
Dec 3 20:11:01 nas kernel: SCSI device sda: 781422768 512-byte hdwr sectors (400088 MB)

mounts.log has:

/dev/hdc1 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/c/c on /c type ext3 (rw,noatime,acl,user_xattr,usrquota,grpquota)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)

Were you guys able to resolve the earlier problem? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks!
Message 17 of 32
Han_Solo
Tutor

We were able to resolve cmajewsk problem. It turned out that when the USB drive was renamed a space was accidentally included. This caused the USB drive not to mount properly. The newer release p5 should not allow spaces for a USB drive name. If someone is using an older release either upgrade or just remember to check for any spaces when renaming a USB drive.
Message 18 of 32
marcus2
Aspirant

Han Solo wrote:
We were able to resolve cmajewsk problem. It turned out that when the USB drive was renamed a space was accidentally included. This caused the USB drive not to mount properly. The newer release p5 should not allow spaces for a USB drive name. If someone is using an older release either upgrade or just remember to check for any spaces when renaming a USB drive.

Thanks for the update.

I just upgraded my NV to p6 in order to try the fix. However, it seems the problem is that my external USB drive had been renamed with a space using p4. Even though the external USB drive has been re-partitioned and formatted on another machine, it still is recognized as the "MetalGear USB" I had set it to originally. Unplugging it from the NV doesn't allow me to change the name. Plugging it back into the NV gives me the three-option menu as described before (Locate, Format FAT32, Format EXT3) with a Go button that submits something...but nothing happens as before (with p4).

Is there a fix for this condition now? Or is the fix in p5 just so that future people don't have this problem? Is there anything I can do to somehow reset the drive such that it is tagged differently? (I have a feeling it is keying off the enclosure hardware ID itself, as the usbstorage.conf file is saying:
PROLIFIC_TECHNOLOGY_INC._MASS_STORAGE_DEVICE-0-067B25070000000000000000!!MetalGear USB!!ST340083 2A!!781422768!!1!!/dev/sda

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Message 19 of 32
Han_Solo
Tutor

Marcus,

Check you PM.
Message 20 of 32
jcollins
Aspirant

This looks like a long thread. Not to be dense or anything, but you can't plug the enclosure into your Windows computer (assuming you have one), right click on the drive and change the label name in the properties?
Message 21 of 32
dmerrill
Aspirant

I know that this thread is 3 years old, but here in 2009 I've got a ReadyNas NV that has the latest Radiator installed and I am having the same problem. I didn't find an answer upon reading through the thread, so I figured I'd ask about this in case the fix is known by now.

The background is that I was trying to back up my whole NAS to a USB drive (new drive + enclosure, works fine with my mac and PC), but it kept failing because I was backing up to a FAT32 partition on the USB drive and some of the filenames on my NAS are not OK on FAT32.

So I went to Volumes -> USB Storage, clicked on the "Options" dropdown -> Format EXT3, then clicked "go"

Nothing happened, except the dropdown menu and the "go" button became grayed-out. The "apply" button down the page was grayed out still, so it didn't seem like there was any way to kick the format into gear. Even after I left it that way all night, there was no change.

Like an earlier person who posted to this thread, I hooked the USB drive up to my Linux PC and used mkfs.ext3 to format that partition. That went fine, and on my linux PC the drive is now ext3-formatted.

However, when I plug it back into my NAS, it now shows up formatted as "FAT' in Volumes -> USB Storage.

Is there a fix for this? It seems like the NAS won't format it to EXT3 itself, and it won't recognize it as EXT3-formatted when I do it elsewhere. Not sure what else to try..

Thanks,
-David Merrill
Message 22 of 32
captain1
Aspirant

Same here as last post! External RAID5 enclosure formatted on Linux box to 6TB ext3 volume.
Won't automount on ReadyNAS NV+. I have no idea what /dev/* entry corresponds to front USB port to even attempt a manual mount. Anyone?
Message 23 of 32
WhoCares_
Mentor

What does "usbtree" say about your storage box? (Since you talk about manually mounting the thing I guess you've got SSH access to your ReadyNAS ...)

-Stefan
Message 24 of 32
captain1
Aspirant

# usbtree
/: Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
/: Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
|__ Port 2: Dev 2, If 0, Class=HID, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M
/: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci_hcd/4p, 480M
|__ Port 3: Dev 4, If 0, Class=stor., Driver=usb-storage, 480M
Message 25 of 32