× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use 3 disks in a ReadyNAS102

GianniS
Aspirant

Use 3 disks in a ReadyNAS102

Hello dear community members,

new user and not much expert.

I have a ReadyNas 102, firmware always updated latest version.

I am not interested to have Redundancy and with only 2 bays I wanted to have max capacity with separate disk with Raid (JBOD). Didnt use X-Raid.

Now I have a 3rd disk that I use for old data and thought I can swap it in and automatically be visible.

Now that wasn't working as expected.

At first I thought hot swap was possible but didnt work out. So rebooted. That seemed to work.

The problem is I changed couple of times more in and out the disks and I see on SMB connection still are old list of shares, not the one of the disks currently inserted, that if I try to access give an error: The operation can’t be completed because the original item for ..... can’t be found.

On AFP connection, I see only one disk shares.

Maybe what I am trying to do is not supported in Netgear Readynas102 or my configuration is wrong?

If have to change configuration would like not to move all the data as it would be massive.

Thanks a lot for any help appreciated

Gianni

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
omicron_persei8
Luminary

Re: Use 3 disks in a ReadyNAS102

A NAS is not a USB drive. You simply cannot use it this way.
I use that connected to my two bays NAS: ICY BOX IB-366StU3+B.
It works great, and I can swap HDDs (though the PSU suffers from some coil whine).

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
lundmilo
Luminary

@GianniS wrote:

Hello dear community members,

new user and not much expert.

I have a ReadyNas 102, firmware always updated latest version.

I am not interested to have Redundancy and with only 2 bays I wanted to have max capacity with separate disk with Raid (JBOD). Didnt use X-Raid.

Now I have a 3rd disk that I use for old data and thought I can swap it in and automatically be visible.

Now that wasn't working as expected.

At first I thought hot swap was possible but didnt work out. So rebooted. That seemed to work.

The problem is I changed couple of times more in and out the disks and I see on SMB connection still are old list of shares, not the one of the disks currently inserted, that if I try to access give an error: The operation can’t be completed because the original item for ..... can’t be found.

On AFP connection, I see only one disk shares.

Maybe what I am trying to do is not supported in Netgear Readynas102 or my configuration is wrong?

If have to change configuration would like not to move all the data as it would be massive.

Thanks a lot for any help appreciated

Gianni

Hello,

The NAS isn't designed to be used that way. Hotswap is being used if you eg. want to expand storage space when running RAID.

I think you would be better off bying an external enclosure and installing the drive in there and connecting it to a USB port.

Message 2 of 5
omicron_persei8
Luminary

A NAS is not a USB drive. You simply cannot use it this way.
I use that connected to my two bays NAS: ICY BOX IB-366StU3+B.
It works great, and I can swap HDDs (though the PSU suffers from some coil whine).
Message 3 of 5
GianniS
Aspirant

Dear Ludmillo and Omicron,

thanks for the clarification, I will give a try to some enclosure as you suggested.

I am happy to report that after some "panic" shutting down the service for SMB and the one for AFP, when returned on the directories were all there, but now I iwll not messup anymore with the disks.

THanks again for your help

GIanni

Message 4 of 5
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

I've have a couple external Boxes that plug into USB and I can just take a externa; HDD and pop it in.  Really just a SATA connector and a simple frame to hold a bare drive in.  It's not a full enclosed case.  I can swap HDD's easily.  I havn't used them in a while as the computer I built, on the top of it's case there's a SATA slot and I can just slide a bare drive into it and access it that way and when done remove it. It's there out in the open basically.  It really comes in handy.  Here is a example of what I'm talking about. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA10V2GV4996&cm_re=external_hdd_reader-_-1B0-003U-...

HDD in a NAS are meant to stay in the NAS, only to be removed and swapped with another if the drive goes bad or you want to expand to a larger HDD for more space.  When you do it, it has to rebuild the data that was on the HDD that you pulled which takes HOURS, maybe in a day or longer depending on how large the HDD is.  To me it's like Magic and really the whole reason for having a NAS and using RAID or in the case of ReadyNAS, XRaid.  So you can grow in size by adding another HDD or a larger HDD, but you can't shrink back down.  Not without formating the HDD's and starting over once again.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements