× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WD2002FAEX or WD2002FYPS for NV+

Quietis
Aspirant

WD2002FAEX or WD2002FYPS for NV+

I found RE4-GP WD2002FYPS in NV+(RND4000) HCL of Chinese web page of ReadyNAS on March 13th,and then ordered a set of NV+ from an online shop.

However,when I received a RND4000(v3,produced in Feb,2011,with a firmware of edition 4.1.7) on Wednesday and began to search for 2T drives to buy for it,I went here,the English official web page of ReadyNAS, and found out that the HCL seemed quite different from what I had seen one day ago. -_-!!!

http://readynas.netgear.cn/Hardware_Compatibility_List/list1.asp  What's the problem? It has a display error whenever you check another modes,and so you will see all HCLs the same as that of NV+ v2...

So I can't use RE4-GP WD2002FYPS for my NV+,can I?

In the right HCL of NV+,I find no enterprise drive model such as RE4-GP WD2002FYPS for NV+ v2,or RE4 WD2003FYYS for NVX, and there is just Caviar Black WD2002FAEX,which suggested by WD to use in consumer-type RAID applications (RAID-0 /RAID-1) instead of Business RAID Environments. I wonder how about RAID5/X-raid belonging to? And will a relatively noisy and hot black drive with lower reliability than enterprise drives, such as WD2002FAEX, fit on RAID applications of NV+?

And,is there any enterprise drive of WD compatible with NV+,such as RE4-GP WD2002FYPS or RE4 WD2003FYYS? (I used to use 2* RE4 WD1003FBYX as Matrix RAID in my Dell T3500,and feel great with them)

Or,if they are not in the HCL of NV+,then which drive should I choose for NV+ to be ok with RAID applications? And will the HCL of NV+ be expanded in future firmware versions such as 4.1.9 or 4.1.10?

Really confused and puzzled,and eager for any helpful infomation and advice.

Regards.
Message 1 of 8
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: WD2002FAEX or WD2002FYPS for NV+

The NV+ v2 is deemed an entry level box and has fewer features than any of the other ReadyNAS boxes including the discontinued NV+ v1 (which originally was designed for both consumer use as well as professional use). Given that, it is in my opinion unlikely you will ever see enterprise class drives on that HCL. After all, those who want entry level boxes are unlikely to spend twice the amount per drive to get the enterprise class drives.
Message 2 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You have a NV+ (v1). Please have a read of How to tell whether I have a Duo v1 or Duo v2 or NV+ v1 or NV+ v2

The NV+ v2 went on sale beginning Nov 13, 2011.

The RND4000v3 sticker, production date, firmware version etc. all indicate that you have the NV+ (v1).

The Hard Disk Compatibility list is here: Hard Disk HCL
Message 3 of 8
Quietis
Aspirant

Yes,I have not a NV+ v2,but a NV+ (v1),with a product remark of RND4000 v3.

I just wanted to say,that the chinese web pages of Netgear ReadyNAS appear to display wrong HCLs——whichever model you choose and check,they tell you all the same HCL of NV+ v2. And so I had been taking the HCL of NV+ v2 as that of NV+ (v1) until I came here to find out the correct HCL of NV+ (v1). -_-!

I wonder what's the right choice for me to buy drives for my NV+ (v1). Need I consider enterprise drives for my NAS applications of downloading and backup and online network storage,sometimes working in 24*7 hours?
And if so,the HDD market doen't give me any good choice according to the HCL of NV+ (v1). There is no WD enterprise drives in the list,but a WD black one,and both of them now price at more than double my purchasing price just one year ago. The Hitachi enterprise drive of model Ultrastar A7K2000,HUA722020ALA330,can hardly be found in the market.And Barracuda XT ST32000641AS seems rare in market too,and it seems closer to WD black than to a enterprise one.

Could anyone give me a list of suggestions in order of priority, to choose drives for a NV+(v1)?

Anyway thanks a lot for both of you,PapaBear and mdgm. ^_^
Message 4 of 8
PapaBear1
Guide

Prices are high as a result of the Thailand floods.

Most home users and even business users tend to use consumer level drives. The enterprise class drives all have rotational vibrational protection in the drives, and in the 12 bay models with that number of drives, they are necessary. Factory supplied drives in the Pro desktop series are all enterprise class drives. Factory supplied drives in consumer targeted units from my understanding are now all consumer level drives. Enterprise drives may or may not be more resistant to failure. Some believe the packaging and handling from the factory to the final consumer may have more to do with failures than other factors. I ran a pair of Seagate 500GB drives in an NV+ for over 25,000 hours 24/365 with one problem. The second drive failed within 30 days, but it's replacement (identical model) ran for over 3 years as did the drive in bay 1.

At one time factory supplied drives were all enterprise class drives, but the cost basis was driving the costs out of reach. Most of us when buying a set of drives for a new unit also tend to buy a spare to keep on hand. On the HCL I accessed the WD2002FAEX is on the list for the NV+. I am not aware of any posted issues with that drive. If it is available in your market and at a prices that is within range, then I would go with that.
Message 5 of 8
Quietis
Aspirant

Thank you once again. ^_^

Another question: is it ok to buy more than one model of drives for a NAS such as NV+? For example, 2* Hitachi Ultrastar A7K2000 HUA722020ALA330 , plus 2*Caviar Black WD2002FAEX; or 2*Caviar Black WD2002FAEX, 2*Caviar Green WD20EARX?
Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Quietis wrote:
Thank you once again. ^_^

Another question: is it ok to buy more than one model of drives for a NAS such as NV+? For example, 2* Hitachi Ultrastar A7K2000 HUA722020ALA330 , plus 2*Caviar Black WD2002FAEX; or 2*Caviar Black WD2002FAEX, 2*Caviar Green WD20EARX?
Yes. Though they need to be the same size of course.
Message 7 of 8
Quietis
Aspirant

See...

After an extra turn over the market, I give up seeking a 7200rpm drive finally. Those with about 50% higher price than green drives are all fakes and forged from low rpm or
low single-disc capacity ones...

I even wonder how can the Seagate new drive of 7200rpm,sata3,1T cpd,ST2000DM001,price at the same level with its 5900rpm drive of ST2000DL003...while just ST2000DL003 but not ST2000DM001 is in the HCL...

No other choice,and had to turn to a Green WD20EARX for transition?... -_-!
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements