× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WD20EARS-00MVWB0 Westerd Digital Cavier Green 2TB

marksb
Aspirant

WD20EARS-00MVWB0 Westerd Digital Cavier Green 2TB

Hi,
I just got a Duo V2 and a Western Digital drive. I didn't realize there were two different versions (wished I came here first). The drive worked fine so I ordered another one, not sure what version I'll get. Now when I try to copy large files over I get a 0x80070027 drive full error. All I have to do is hit the retry button and it will continue copying. Everything plays fine off of the Nas so is there any way I can fix this without putting this drive on ebay and getting another one or should I just live with it? I'm using a WIN7 machine through a Linksys 54g router.

Thanks.
Mark
Message 1 of 21
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: WD20EARS-00MVWB0 Westerd Digital Cavier Green 2TB

The drive is certainly on the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) so it should be working ok. You might want to contact Tech Support and open a ticket. If you have owned the NAS for less than 90 days you are still in the free telephone Tech Support period. After that you will have free online support as long as the unit is under warranty.
Message 2 of 21
marksb
Aspirant

I saw the 00S8B1 on the HCL but not the 00VWB0 which is why I posted here. I will try Tech support. Thanks.

Mark
Message 3 of 21
marksb
Aspirant

Update.
After sending my logs to tech support they couldn't find the problem so they wanted me to take the drive out, reformat it and put it back in. I just received my second drive which is the same as the first one. I hooked it up to my pc, formatted it, ran data lifeguard diagnostics on it and installed it in the Duo. Same error. I went ahead and put the original drive back in and it is now synching with the new one.
Message 4 of 21
les_anderson
Aspirant

I am having this same issue on my v2 Duo with a 1.5 tb seagate. Has your luck changed?
Message 5 of 21
marksb
Aspirant

They had me do another factory reset with both drives so I chose flex-raid the second time and it didn't make any difference. They wanted to access it remotely so I rebooted it in tech support mode and haven't heard anything. I could almost live with it if it is something that will get fixed in a firmware update. It's just a pain to copy files over as I have to keep hitting the enter key when it stops. I installed transmissionbt and am happy that I don't have to leave my pc on all night anymore.
Message 6 of 21
marksb
Aspirant

Just received an email from Tech Support telling me that I am using incompatible drives and that I should get compatible drives to avoid this issue. I haven't had any other problems so I'm going to keep them for a while. Hopefully hard drive prices will come back down and I will probably get Seagates.
Message 7 of 21
PapaBear1
Guide

marksb - reading through this again, you are getting a Windows error message. Are you not getting a popup saying that it can't copy the file?

Have you tried a direct connection?

The direct connection eliminates everything in the network except the cable. You should use a known good cable. If you are using the cable that came with the NAS, sometimes the folding of the cable to put it in the box can damage them. Try using a cable that was never folded, but looped. Probably the one between your PC and the router. I started out with a Linksys WRT54G router and they are stable and reliable, but they are also slow and a bit old. If you are using a desktop, you may want to install a gigabit switch and attach the switch to the router and the desktop and NAS to the switch. (It will double the file transfer rate between the NAS and desktop. You are in effect creating a gigabit subnetwork that still has internet access but is not slowed down by the 100Mb/s speed of the router. A trick an IT friend taught me.)
Message 8 of 21
marksb
Aspirant

I tried a 100mbs hub with the same result so I tried the direct connection and it worked perfectly! I will probably just get a new router down the road.

THANKS PAPA!!!! 🙂
Message 9 of 21
PapaBear1
Guide

That is one thing that is good about the direct connection, it will eliminate or confirm the NAS is the culprit.

What you are calling a "hub" is probably what the industry calls a "switch". A switch is a wired only device, and is always powered. The smallest is usually a 5 port, and you connect one port to either the router or another switch, and the other ports are then connected to other wired network devices. In my case, one port is connected to the router, and the other ports are connected to two desktops and three ReadyNAS units, leaving two ports open. If you are still direct connected and thus have static IP addresses set on both the Duo and the PC, try again inserting the switch between the two and see what the reaction is. I am just curious if it was the switch or the router.
Message 10 of 21
ReadySECURE
Apprentice

I wanted to make a correction here, the WD20EARS-00MVWBO are not on the compatibility list. The WD20EARS-00S8B1 sub-model is the only WD20EARS drive that is compatible.
Message 11 of 21
marksb
Aspirant

I call it a hub because it can't be configured like a switch. All the traffic goes to all the ports. So why is the ReadyNas so particular about the hard drive that can be used with it? Is this a Linux thing?
Message 12 of 21
StephenB
Guru

marksb wrote:
I call it a hub because it can't be configured like a switch. All the traffic goes to all the ports.
If you post the manufacturer and model, then it should be easy enough to tell what it is.

If all the traffic goes to all the ports, then it is in fact a hub. However, that has nothing to do with the ability to configure the device. Only "smart switches" and "managed switches" can be configured. Normal consumer switches cannot be configured (and still do not send all the traffic to all the ports).

Is your linksys router support gigabit ethernet or 100 mbit?
marksb wrote:
So why is the ReadyNas so particular about the hard drive that can be used with it? Is this a Linux thing?
First of all, I would be surprised if changing to drives on the HCL solves your 0x80070027 error. It would be nice to know the outcome (either way), since there are some other folks getting this error with the v2 products.

Normally RAID devices work best with enterprise drives. Some of the differences are described here: http://download.intel.com/support/mothe ... rives_.pdf However, enterprise drives cost considerably more, so often desktop drives are used in consumer NAS products. Netgear accommodates this by testing drives, and putting the devices that pass on the HCL.
Message 13 of 21
marksb
Aspirant

The router and the hub are both 100 mbs. When I did the direct connection at 1 gig, I was able to copy my entire media library without getting the error.
Message 14 of 21
PapaBear1
Guide

According to Netgear and other network device manufacturers, unmanaged desktop devices such as the GS105, FS105, FS605 and GS605 and similar devices are called swiches not hubs, yet since it is unmanaged, it cannot be configured either. Looking at on line computer retailers, most the devices listed as hubs under the networking heading are USB, however, there are others that are firewire or serial, but none listed are ethernet. So if it is an ethernet device, it is a switch. And while you may think the signal goes to all ethernet ports, the activity light will only be active on the port to which the device with the correct IP address is connected.

It would still be helpful to know the make and model of the switch/hub.
Message 15 of 21
StephenB
Guru

marksb - Your tests so far suggest that the connection speed is somehow related (or possibly half duplex/full duplex negotiation).. it would be useful to try a direct connection, but manually set the speed on the PC NIC card to 100 mbits.
PapaBear wrote:
According to Netgear and other network device manufacturers, unmanaged desktop devices such as the GS105, FS105, FS605 and GS605 and similar devices are called swiches not hubs, yet since it is unmanaged, it cannot be configured either. Looking at on line computer retailers, most the devices listed as hubs under the networking heading are USB, however, there are others that are firewire or serial, but none listed are ethernet. So if it is an ethernet device, it is a switch. And while you may think the signal goes to all ethernet ports, the activity light will only be active on the port to which the device with the correct IP address is connected.

It would still be helpful to know the make and model of the switch/hub.
Papabear - Ethernet hubs in fact do exist, though they are decidedly old-school (and I don't know of anyone making them now) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_hub. Back in the late 90s, Netgear did make them (EN104TP/EN106TP/EN108TP). Programmers who do network stuff tend to hang onto them, since they are quite convenient for taking protocol traces (the fact that they do send all the traffic to all the ports is quite convenient for that). Port mirroring on a smart switch can also be used of course, but smart switches are fairly expensive.

However, I agree that the device is more likely to be an unmanaged switch. It might be interesting to know the model, but perhaps not all that useful for solving the main problem, since both the router and the switch/hub provoked the same error.
Message 16 of 21
marksb
Aspirant

I can't find the model number but on the front it says "Hawking 100base-TX 4-port Hub". Yes I've had it a long time. I just googled it and found the model number which is IH400TX. I just figured that I needed to either get a gigabit switch or a gigabit router. Later today I will try another test with the nic set at 100. I tried using my wireless netbook to transfer files from the pc to the Nas. It took a lot longer of course but I wasn't getting nearly as many errors. Maybe 1 out of 10 usually at the start of the file transfer.
Message 17 of 21
StephenB
Guru

Upgrading to a gigabit home network is a good idea, you will get a lot faster transfer speeds if you do. Though you will need CAT 5e or CAT 6 cabling (if you are running over any distance).

Though of course these weird disk full errors should be fixed. If you are following other threads, you will see that some other folks are getting the same error (with different disks). I believe that all are running the new ARM products.
Message 18 of 21
marksb
Aspirant

Well, now this is interesting. I have a Realtek nic onboard on an ASUS motherboard. It has a setting for Speed & Duplex that cannot be changed from auto. It has another setting for Auto Disable Gigabit with values of Disabled, Re-LInk, Battery and Re-Link, Battery or AC. I did a direct connection with it set to Re-Link, Battery or AC and did not get the error. So I left it and reconnected the Nas and pc to the router and...........yep, no error. As soon as I reset it to Disabled, I get the error. So now I have a fix until I upgrade the router. I wished I had a gigabit switch that I could try but if it works with the direct connection then I shouldn't have any problems right?

Thanks guys.
Message 19 of 21
PapaBear1
Guide

My router (Netgear WRN2000) only has 100Mb/s ports so I have a Netgear GS108 switch to which my desktops and NAS units are all connected. Thus between them I have gigabit speed. My printers are attached to the router, and of course the laptop with wireless N is as well. The slower speed through the router does not affect the laptop or internet connection since the 100Mb/s speed is faster than my internet connection and the effective 802.11n speed is right at the 100Mb/s speed of the ports on the router. Most of my heavy work is done on the wired desktops anyway.
Message 20 of 21
Nutty667
Aspirant

Hi,
I had the same error pop up today. I have a Duo v2, with a single WD20EARX-00PASB0 drive. (which is on the compatibility list)
When copying a large file (6 gig) about halfway through windows reported an out of disk space error. I clicked retry and it worked after that.

I did a file volume check afterwards and radiator said it fixed block issues...

I too have a very old 100mbit belkin router connected wired.
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements