× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What does this mean in raidar?

Damien89
Aspirant

What does this mean in raidar?

Today the electricity in our neiborhood turned off all of a sudden, now when i turned everything on i have a yellow light in raidar, what does it mean? (readynas duo v2)
Message 1 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

Can you access the data?
Do you have a backup? If you don't, make one now.
This could mean a disk failure in which case you are in a precarious situation if you don't have a backup.

There are various steps to take to try to diagnose this, but you need to backup first. Post back once you have done a backup.

While you are backing up, order yourself an uninterruptible power supply with a USB connection, post a question if you need guidance on model.
Message 2 of 19
Damien89
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
Can you access the data?
Do you have a backup? If you don't, make one now.
This could mean a disk failure in which case you are in a precarious situation if you don't have a backup.

There are various steps to take to try to diagnose this, but you need to backup first. Post back once you have done a backup.

While you are backing up, order yourself an uninterruptible power supply with a USB connection, post a question if you need guidance on model.

I have a partial backup on an external hdd, in the nas there are 2 1tb disks so that were redundant before today and i can still access all the data. how can i find which disk is failing?
Message 3 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

Backup your data first.
Is the unit still under warranty?

Can you look at the disk smart data. Look for reallocated sectors, pending sectors or other errors and post back.
Did you have alerts active and did you receive any messages about disk errors?

If the smart data is OK, power down, remove and test each disk using vendor tools. Use extended tests. This will take a long time.

The problem is that if this is a disk problem and you lose the other disk while trying to sort it out you'll lose all the data. Even if one of the disks is bad and you replace the bad one, the resync will put a heavy load on the other disk which may cause it to fail. You must have a full and up to date backup.

An OS reinstall (preserves data) using the boot menu would also be something to try once you have tested the disks. (not a factory default which wipes the disks)
Message 4 of 19
Damien89
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
Backup your data first.
Is the unit still under warranty?

Can you look at the disk smart data. Look for reallocated sectors, pending sectors or other errors and post back.
Did you have alerts active and did you receive any messages about disk errors?

If the smart data is OK, power down, remove and test each disk using vendor tools. Use extended tests. This will take a long time.

The problem is that if this is a disk problem and you lose the other disk while trying to sort it out you'll lose all the data. Even if one of the disks is bad and you replace the bad one, the resync will put a heavy load on the other disk which may cause it to fail. You must have a full and up to date backup.

An OS reinstall (preserves data) using the boot menu would also be something to try once you have tested the disks. (not a factory default which wipes the disks)

First of all thanks for your help,

when you say the unit under warranty, do you mean the duo v2 or the disks?

I have recieved no alert by email and all the data is still accessible, i am performing a backup right now. What is smart data? how do i see it?

Thanks
Message 5 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

I mean the chassis. If it is still under warranty it's worth contacting support and adding the case number to the thread title.

Look at page 72 of the manual:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS%20ARM-PLATFORM%20%28DUO%20V2,%20NV+%20V2%29/RAID...
Message 6 of 19
Damien89
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
I mean the chassis. If it is still under warranty it's worth contacting support and adding the case number to the thread title.

Look at page 72 of the manual:
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/ ... 20NV+%20V2)/RAIDiator%205.3%20SW%20Manual_5Sep12.pdf

I'll have to check if its still under warranty because i dont know if its a 2 or 3 year warranty.
The link you supplied does not work and what is smart data? How do i check it?

Could it be that the external hard drive connected to the nas which is failing?
Message 7 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

I've edited my post so the link should work now.
If you look on page 72 it'll tell you where to look for the smart data.
Perhaps google smart data and learn a bit about it.

Raidar is indicating a problem with your on board volume. It means what it says, that your volume is not redundant. Either a disk has failed or one of the disks has fallen out of the array. What does your volume page say in dashboard. Read the manual if you don't know where to find this

The external drive can be seen from the dashboard and again you should be able to see its smart data. If you want to see if it's contributing, just unmount it using the dashboard and reboot the nas.
Message 8 of 19
Damien89
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the link again, i had never seen that manual.

This is the smart data for the two disks inside the duo:

Message 9 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

Once you have done your backup, do an OS reinstall using the boot menu. Don't do a factory default.
Message 10 of 19
Damien89
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
Once you have done your backup, do an OS reinstall using the boot menu. Don't do a factory default.

Will it erase all the data on both disks (just for curiosity)?
Message 11 of 19
Nhellie
Virtuoso

no. OS reinstall will not erase data but it will put the IP back to DHCP and reset the admin password.
Message 12 of 19
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Hello Damien89,

Check these links below as reference guide in doing OS reinstall on your Duov2:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20898/~/readynas--accessing-the-boot-menu

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21100
Message 13 of 19
Damien89
Aspirant

Iv'e did the os reinstall but its still the same, is warranty 3 years on the duo v2?

I think next i should test both hdd's, i will remove the hdd's, mark them which is which and test them with wd lifeguard since they are wd hdd. if i should do anything different please instruct me.

Thanks.
Message 14 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

Yes test the disks.
While you are testing the disks you could try to factory default the nas with a spare disk.
This will of course wipe the disk. If the unit sets up normally it basically excludes a chassis problem. If that is the case you could factory default with the 2 original disks if they are ok and restore your data from your backup.

The warranty is 3 years so you should contact support if in warranty.
Message 15 of 19
Damien89
Aspirant

Hi, today i tested both wd disks with wd lifeguard. One of the disks did not pass both the quick test and extended test. Tomorrow i'm gonna take the drive to the shop i bought it from and see if they will replace it under warranty. I will take the test results with me to show it to them.
Message 16 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

Look for the wd RMA procedure on their website.
http://support.wdc.com/warranty/
Message 17 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Generally your retailer will replace a failed drive with a new one if you contact them within a couple weeks of purchase.

After that you end up RMAing the drive to the manufacture (WDC in this case), and you get a re-certified replacement.
Message 18 of 19
Damien89
Aspirant

I went to the shop i bought it from and they tested the drive and it failed their test, they were gonna give me a replacement drive but i opted to pay a bit extra (13 euros) and got a 2tb wd red drive instead of 1tb. Put it in the nas and after the nas copied everything it looks like everything is back to normal. 😄

Thanks for your help everyone :thumbsup:
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements