× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Windows 10 loses discoverablity when ReadyNAS joins network

DuckSoupNAS1
Aspirant

Windows 10 loses discoverablity when ReadyNAS joins network

My home network contains a Windows 7 PC, a Windows 7 laptop, a Windows 10 PC and my ReadyNAS 102 running the latest update.  If I shut down my NAS and reboot my W10 PC, the W10 PC can network browse itself and all W7 systems. All W7 systems can browse my W10 PC.  If I then boot my NAS, my W10 PC can network browse the W7 systems and my NAS, but not itself. Not of the other systems can browse the W10 PC.

I suspect it has something to do with SMB, but am unable to find the right combination of settings to make things work correctly.

Thanks for your help!

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Do you have a static IP on the NAS?  If you do, and it's in the range that DHCP hands out, that could be the issue.  When you boot the NAS first, it grabs it's static address, which is unused.   When the PC is booted next, it's given a different one.  But if you boot the PC first, and it gets assigned that same address the NAS uses, then booting the NAS will cause a conflict for that address because it uses the static one, not one assigned by DHCP.

Message 2 of 9
DuckSoupNAS1
Aspirant

The NAS does have a static IP but all of my DHCP devices use a different range so there’s no IP conflict.
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Do you have legacy windows discovery enabled on the NAS? 

Message 4 of 9
DuckSoupNAS1
Aspirant

Yes I do
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@DuckSoupNAS1 wrote:
Yes I do

Ok.  When you say that that the Win 7 systems can't browse the Win 10 system do you mean that:

• the Win 7 systems don't show it in the network list
  • that clicking on it in the network list doesn't work
  • something else?

Have you tried entering \\Win10-IP-Address in the explorer bar of the Win 7 systems?  Use the real IP addess of the Win 10 system of course, and be careful to use the correct slash direction.

Message 6 of 9
DuckSoupNAS1
Aspirant

I have made some progress. After reading some MS Windows group notes, I inspected the properties of my Wifi adaptor and found the something, probably a recent W10 forced update and undone the Netbios/TCP setting.

I know can click on my W10 File Explorer Network tab and W10 sees itself, my W7 PCs and my ReadyNAS.

However, not true from my W7 File Explorer Network tab. My W10 PC only shows up if if manually enter \\servername in the search window.
Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@DuckSoupNAS1 wrote:

However, not true from my W7 File Explorer Network tab. My W10 PC only shows up if if manually enter \\servername in the search window.

And disconnecting the NAS from the network changes that behavior?

Message 8 of 9
DuckSoupNAS1
Aspirant

It appeared to have... but now I’m a bit confused as to what action as fixed which problem! I’m away for a few days so will have to review everything when I’m back home.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements