× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XRaid 5 will support for 8 harddisk (RR331200)

Rachakondaashok
Aspirant

XRaid 5 will support for 8 harddisk (RR331200)

Hi Team,

I have query that for RR33XX device i am going to insert 8- 6TB harddisks and i have a quesry that shall i can configure x Raid with Raid 5 configuration?

Regards,

Racha..........

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

By default XRAID will use dual-redundancy (raid-6) with 8 disks.

The simplest way to avoid this is to switch to flexraid when you do the install (before the volume is fully created).  Then destroy the volume and create a new one using RAID-5.

Message 2 of 6
Rachakondaashok
Aspirant

Hi

Can you please explain the difference between x-raid and flex-raid

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

XRAID is a simple RAID management method that will automatically create a suitable RAID mode for you, and which will also automatically expand your RAID array when you add disks (horizontal expansion) or replace disks with larger ones (vertical expansion).  It is limited to a single volume.

FlexRAID is a more sophisticated management method which gives you a lot more control over your RAID setup.  It also lets you set up RAID modes that XRAID doesn't support.  If you want multiple RAID volumes in your ReadyNAS, you will need to use FlexRAID.

Both FlexRAID and XRAID use the same linux tools for software RAID.   The Web UI will let you switch back and forth as long as your FlexRAID settings are compatible with XRAID. 

In your case, once you set up RAID-6 in FlexRAID you can switch back to XRAID and the system will then maintain dual redundancy (protection from two disk failures).  If you want to vertically expand, you will need to replace 4 disks with the larger size before expansion can occur.  

The software manual has more information on this.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

If you want more details on flexraid itself, there is an overview here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_FlexRAID_Optimization_Guide.pdf

Message 4 of 6
ukmagic
Aspirant

I'd like to point out though that with RAID5 and disks of that size, you are putting an awful lot of faith in there not being another disk die during a RAID rebuild, You'd be better leaving it as RAID6.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@ukmagic wrote:

I'd like to point out though that with RAID5 and disks of that size, you are putting an awful lot of faith in there not being another disk die during a RAID rebuild, You'd be better leaving it as RAID6.

In my view "better off" depends in part on the consequences of a failed array.  RAID-6 results in both a performance hit for writes and of course the extra cost/storage penalty for dual redundancy.

For instance, if you have a highly-available backup NAS (or if the NAS itself is a backup), then RAID-5 might be enough.  

That said, RAID-6 is reasonable, especially if the OP is planning to expand to use all 12 bays in the future. FWIW, RAID-50 is also reasonable (perhaps using 3 RAID-5 groups of four disks each).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements