× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

connecting readynas duo v2 and Linux via NFS

malbee2
Aspirant

connecting readynas duo v2 and Linux via NFS

Hi there,

Blew the dust off the readynas duo v2 and upgraded to latest firmware. (re)intalled ssh. Failed to mount to my Linux workstations (openSuse Tumbleweed).  Only real change from when last used is my network now has 1Gb switches. 

I finally got a mounted connection by changing my workstations to use "udp" rather than defaults.

Workstation to workstation runs default tcpip with no problems.

What has Netgear done to Debian to screw up the standard Linux setup?

Model: RND2000v2|READYNAS DUO v2|EOL
Message 1 of 3
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: connecting readynas duo v2 and Linux via NFS

Hello malbee2,

It seems this post has been added here last month. Sorry for the delay.

May we ask what command you used to mount it and what is the exact error message you have received?

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
malbee2
Aspirant

Re: connecting readynas duo v2 and Linux via NFS

Hi there,

I have had this ReadyNAS DuoV2 for a few years. Moved from empty to 1TBx2, to 2TBx2 and finally to 3TBx2 all mirrored.  I run almost exclusively Linux.  Sometimes Debian but mostly Suse.  My wired Network has evolved from 10Mb/s to 100Mb/s using Netgear and Linksys switches.  Up till recently we used BT internet portal which was happy to connect with Wicked or no network manager (ifup/ifdown).  Recently moved to Virginmedia which got very sulky about talking to my workstations.  Switching to Networkmanager effected a cure (?).

I just dump (sorry archive) files to the NAS to stop my main machines accumulating too much junk.  I used to mount the NAS as having a NFS file system.  Sometimes Samba was more reliable but the occassional file got lost(!). Once data was on the disk(s) it was fine. For comparison FreeNAS with a 1.4GHz Tualatin was much more silkily reliable but supped more juice. At 1GHz it would choke on large files.

So enough history, today I run OpenSuse Tumbleweed on my machines with multi core processors.  The Suse machines are configured with Networkmanager and I generally run Bind (insurance). The wired network is 1Gb/s apart from printers. Wire runs are within specs.

Logically the ReadyNAS should mount with NFS(2/3) and possibly NFSV4.  Again, logically, UDP being a non-routing protocol with no packet ordering facility should be a no-no.

But, simply specifying any of the NFS protocols resulted in failure to mount. 

Specifying UDP magically produced the most reliable connection I have ever achieved to the device.

Portscans or poking around the network setups provided no real enlightenment.

My current fstab uses the following to mount the NAS directory:

"netgear.home:/c/media /nas/media nfs udp 0 0 "

I don't use Samba anymore which is just as well, as although the ports are active, my Linux boxes fail to find them,  They used to!.

Do computers get Dementia?

All the best,

Malcolm

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements