× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

enterprise disk replacement for RN3138

xaviermn
Aspirant

enterprise disk replacement for RN3138

Hi, I'm using a ReadyNas RN3138 with 4 enterprise-class WD drives, WDC WD4000F9YZ in X-Raid.

I need to replace one of them, but I can't find this exact model of disk. Can I regenerate the raid using WD4004FRYZ or any other available WD business model? What if it were larger ?

Does anyone have experience with this type of disc replacement?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: enterprise disk replacement for RN3138

@xaviermn wrote:

Hi, I'm using a ReadyNas RN3138 with 4 enterprise-class WD drives, WDC WD4000F9YZ in X-Raid.

I need to replace one of them, but I can't find this exact model of disk. Can I regenerate the raid using WD4004FRYZ or any other available WD business model? What if it were larger ?

Any enterprise disk that is 4 TB or larger should be fine.  WD Red Plus would also work - but avoid the WD Reds as they are SMR.  FWIW, I have mixed Seagate and WD disks with no problem.

The capacity rule for X-RAID is "sum the disks and subtract the largest", so if you want to increase capacity you'd need to upgrade an existing disk after you replace the first (and resync the volume).

I generally recommend hot-swapping (removing the disk you are replacing with the NAS running).  But if there is any doubt about which slot the disk you need to replace is in, then power down, remove the disk and confirm the serial number.  Then if you get it wrong, just reinsert the disk and remove the correct one (with the NAS powered down).

I also recommend testing the replacement disk in a PC with vendor tools before putting it into the NAS (WD's dashboard software or Seatools).  Personally I run the full long non-destructive test, and then follow up with the full write test (if the tool has that option).  That is because I've had some disks that pass one of these tests but fails the other.  I'd much rather find any issues before I try to use the disk.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@xaviermn wrote:

Any enterprise disk that is 4 TB or larger should be fine.  WD Red Plus would also work - but avoid the WD Reds as they are SMR.  FWIW, I have mixed Seagate and WD disks with no problem.

The capacity rule for X-RAID is "sum the disks and subtract the largest", so if you want to increase capacity you'd need to upgrade an existing disk after you replace the first (and resync the volume).

I generally recommend hot-swapping (removing the disk you are replacing with the NAS running).  But if there is any doubt about which slot the disk you need to replace is in, then power down, remove the disk and confirm the serial number.  Then if you get it wrong, just reinsert the disk and remove the correct one (with the NAS powered down).

I also recommend testing the replacement disk in a PC with vendor tools before putting it into the NAS (WD's dashboard software or Seatools).  Personally I run the full long non-destructive test, and then follow up with the full write test (if the tool has that option).  That is because I've had some disks that pass one of these tests but fails the other.  I'd much rather find any issues before I try to use the disk.

Message 2 of 3
xaviermn
Aspirant

Hello @StephenB thank you for your quick response. I will ttry using WD4004FRYZ for 4 Tb or WD8005FRYZ with 8 Tb disk.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements