× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: readynas 626x 10 Gbps LAN port downgrading to 1Gb

pgjscottieuk
Guide

readynas 626x 10 Gbps LAN port downgrading to 1Gb

readynas 626x keeps downgrading the 10Gbps LAN port to 1gb that i have been using and have been since new two years plus

Readynas firmware 6.10.6 connected to Netgear XS512EM switch connected to Netgear RAX120 router multigig port at 5GB

Have checked and cable tested from switch all ok no errors but have replaced cat6a cable anyway problem stil persists i run two readynas units 1 626x and a 526 both via the 10gb port the 526 i use as a backup have had no problems with either using this until 

i noticed last week the 626x is connected to port 2 on the switch

any help ideas i have tried everthing can think of 

XS512EM Port status 8_02_22.png626X network status.pngXS512EM Cable error test 8_02_22.png

Model: ReadyNAS-X6|ReadyNAS X6, RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

readynas 626x keeps downgrading the 10Gbps LAN port to 1gb that i have been using and have been since new two years plus

Readynas firmware 6.10.6 connected to Netgear XS512EM switch connected to Netgear RAX120 router multigig port at 5GB

I didn't think the 526 and 626 supported multigig negotiation.

Have you tried setting the speed for the port to 10 gigabit manually?

Message 2 of 14
pgjscottieuk
Guide

To my knowledge neithe nas units support multigig negoitiation

Both my nas units and my htpc with a 10gb card are connected to the the switch XS512EM multigig then the switch is connected to the rax120 router as i had previous said i have been running it like this for more than two years without problem

you mention setting the speed manually on the nas please can you tell me how to do this 

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

I don't have that particular switch, but from your picture it looks like you select the port on the left, and then select the speed from the pulldown (changing Auto to the speed you want).

Message 4 of 14
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Thank you for your reply i have never made any settings in the switch just used as plug n play do you mean the QOS settings if i play with those will it upset the other things a knock on effect i did move the 626 port further along to see if it made a difference as has happened before after unplugging and plugging back in it is back up to 10gb

XS512EM Port Status 09_02_22.png626x Network Status 09_02_22.png

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

do you mean the QOS settings

XS512EM Port Status 09_02_22.png

No, I do not mean the QOS settings.  I am talking about the screen above.  You should be able to tell the switch that the NAS ports are always 10G Full.

Message 6 of 14
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Hi these are the only options from that drop down menu but it would seem thta perhaps things can be altered here i don't knowScreenshot 2022-02-09 at 12.07.35.pngScreenshot 2022-02-09 at 12.08.28.png

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

Hi these are the only options from that drop down menu but it would seem thta perhaps things can be altered here i don't know

Well, you can force the speed to 100 mbps there, but of course that is not useful.  So that won't help.

Message 8 of 14
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Thats what i thought the puzzeling thing is that its worked all this time without a problem never mind if it persists i can ask for an RMA as the NAS is in warranty faulty network card ?

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

if it persists i can ask for an RMA as the NAS is in warranty faulty network card ?

I think it's more likely that the switch is deciding to downspeed the link sometimes.  But that would be hard to confirm w/o a pure 10 Gig switch.  Have you ever seen this on the 526 link?  If not, you could try swapping the cables and see if the problem moves.

You can of course still ask for an RMA.

Message 10 of 14
pgjscottieuk
Guide

I have never seen this on the 526 but i have replaced the cables to both just in case the old ones were still cat6a but only ftp the new ones are cat6a sstp and originally the 626 was on port 2 now as you can see its on port 11 it will soon show its self i first noticed it when sending a large file from the htpc to the 626 normally it transers between about 760gbps and 810 but it dropped right down to 110 that when i knew someting was up

So you think its most likely the switch causing the problem thank you Stephen for your help and interest as usuall

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

So you think its most likely the switch causing the problem 

Yes, but it is odd that it only happens on the RN626.  So I can't rule out the NAS.

Message 12 of 14
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Thank you for your reply i will keep an eye on it and if it only happens with the 626 even on different ports i will request a return no doubt Netgear would want to do some investigating before replacement thanks again Stephen

kind regards

Peter

Message 13 of 14
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Just a quick question on this the 626x has behaved for a while but then again on Saturday 2nd Aprilr it downgraded again to 1gb

if i request a replacement will Netgear after doing their own diagnostics replace with a refurbished unit or new as i am rather fussy about how things are kept mine all look brand new as the day they came out of the box but then it is a domestic enviorment

Some buisness use items can look really shabby

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements