Occasional Contributor

Readynas NV+ V2 Device is offline # 17773704

Did get a new Netgear readynas NV+ V2 the other day. Did work good in the start but after two days use i did get a question to update the firmware in the webcontrole for the nas.
I did update it and did get an error message that the checksum was incorrect. After that the web controle only thell me that "device is offline".
Have tryed to roll back the os on the nas whitout any luck. Did talk to support for 1,5 hours today without luck. But they were wery nice thou.
Any suggestion on how to get it running agein? I can access all my files but the controlepanel cant comunicate with the nas.

Sincerely
Olof
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Readynas NV+ V2 Device is offline # 17773704

The first thing I would do is back up all of your data if it does not still reside in some other spot. Keep in mind that you do have 90 days of free telephone technical support starting with the date of purchase. After that you have free e-mail support for the life of the warranty.

Do you remember which version of the OS was on your machine when you initially started it? Do you remember the version of the OS that was attempted to install?

You might try as OS reinstall first.

Ultra 4 / Ultra 4 Plus / Pro 4 / NV+ v2

To access the boot menu:

1. Power off your unit.
2. Using a straightened paper clip, press and hold the Reset button.
3. Press the Power button to power on the unit.
4. Continue to press the Reset button until the status display screen shows an boot menu message.
5. Press the Backup button to scroll through the boot mode options.
6. Press and release Reset button to confirm your boot menu selection.

OS reinstall is the third item in the menu. The system boots in the selected boot mode.
(Note: the reset button is a micro switch located behind a pin hole on the back of the unit next to the upper USB port on the opposite side of the power receptacle.)

OS reinstall will reinstall the OS and reset all the configuration to default, but will not harm the data. (Backups are still a good idea).

If that does not work, the factory default would be the next thing I would try. Go back through the process above to get to the boot menu, but instead, stop at the second option which is factory default.

Please Note: the Factory Default will erase the drives and all data on them will be lost. It will completely restore the unit to the factory condition and install the OS from the on board memory. For this reason, any data on the unit that does not reside elsewhere, must be backed up or copied off first.

If this does not work, then call back to technical support, give them your case number and ask for it to be escalated to the next higher level.
Remember - the NAS is not a backup plan.

Backup = Good, No Backup = Bad
Occasional Contributor

Thanx for your detaild reply.
I have tryed to run Os reinstall with no luck.
Not all files are on backup at the monent (but working on it). The os on the Nas was 5.3.2 and still is.
It did try to update the firmware but it did roll back when it did not succed i guess. But someting did get messed up.
I have also tried to update to newer firware manually but aim not allowed. System fail is all i get when i try.
The sad thing is that i have used tons of time to set up the NAS and sort all information so i really do not want to run factory reset
And if i do how long til it does get messed up agein? I would really like to se a bug fix to be sure that all is ok for the future.
And as i mentiond the support i have recived i really good. And they have promised to get back to me with more help.
But aim sure that aim not the only one with this problem?

Olof
Esteemed Contributor

I would suggest that since this is a new system, that you try to call into Tech Support and ask to have it escalated to someone familiar with the NEW NV+ version 2. They may be able to telenet in and solve the situation remotely.

This does sometimes happen if there is a glitch in the download although it has never happened to me. I do, however, make sure I have a current and complete backup of my units before upgrading the OS. (Since I backup my NAS to a second NAS it is a lot easier though.)

If you don't get any satisfaction with Tech Support, post back and let us know. One of the Jedi may see this and step in.
Remember - the NAS is not a backup plan.

Backup = Good, No Backup = Bad
Occasional Contributor

To start with i have got me a new 3T disc for my stationary pc. All data dackuped and now running a full factort reset on the NAS.
Formating, seting up Raid agen and so on. I hope this will solve the probleme. And now i have one extra disc for backup so in one way it is all good.
But it is really annoying that it did stop working after all this hour och seting it up and copying files.
When it is ready with the factory reset i will run all updates to the firmware. Then we will se what happens.
If the same thing happens i guess i will have to return it?

Olof
NETGEAR Moderator

When you do the factory reset on the v2 it should automatically update to the latest firmware and do a clean install of that.
Occasional Contributor

Ok. Good to know. Thanx! It will be interesting to see witch firmware is on it when it gets online.
I hade 5.3.2 this morning. But 5.3.4 is the newest right?
19% ready on the NAS so i guess it will take some more time...
NETGEAR Moderator

5.3.3 is the latest.
Occasional Contributor

After 36 hours of copying etc aim almost done. After abot 12 hours of running the factory reset the OS was ok. I can access the web menues agein and all is good. Started copying the 2,4 T back last night and is almost done now. But what the .... did happen? What can i do to prowent it happening in the future? Now i have a backup on my 3T disc as well as on the NAS but i dont want to come in the same situation agein.
Thanx for all your help gays!

Sincerely
Olof
NETGEAR Moderator

I don't know how it happened and now you've done a factory default on your system I'm not sure NetGear tech support would be able to work out for sure either.

It shouldn't happen again. A factory default is a last resort if all else fails and is rarely needed.
Discussion Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Top Contributors