× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Firmware v2.3.2.108 (XR500)

fooka03
Tutor

Should have listened to the posts regarding dropped LAN connections.  Worked well for a couple of days then suddenly dropped my desktop and laptop connections.  Dropped desktop first, laptop after the first router reboot.  No amount of router restarts, router factory resets, computer restarts, driver updates, or ipconfig /release /renew dances has brought the connection back.  Simply cannot make the connection to DHCP over LAN on Windows or Linux.  Connection in Windows 10 used to show Netgear42 for LAN, now it's Unidentified network.  WiFi still works.  Both desktop and laptop are wired via the same unmanaged switch so perhaps the router/firmware doesn't like that.

P.S.: Finally reconnected after yet another router restart.  Very unpleasant user experience.  Not looking forward to if/when this happens again.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 276 of 769
fooka03
Tutor

Well that didn't take long, laptop LAN just dropped, desktop is still connected for now...

Message 277 of 769
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@fooka03 sorry to hear you're having this issue. One user has said he thinks it's to do with QoS, so could you disable that fully from the Congestion Control 3 line option menu and see if it helps please?

If not I'd suggest re-upgrading via TFTP which bypasses the boot process and then do a factory reset, that will give you the freshest install possible. https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Message 278 of 769
tekonsite
Apprentice

Under Congestion Control select "Never".
This has resolved my DHCP disconnects so far and I am going on 11 days straight without outage and reboot of router...
Message 279 of 769
fooka03
Tutor

These issues are with QoS set to never.  As much as I'd like to utilize this feature I've never had it play nicely, hoping a future release helps.

Going to try the TFTP option now.

Message 280 of 769
Baturi
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser so its been 11 days since the last DHCP Disconnection issue and today marks the day that it has happened again hopefully this will be fully fixed on the FW update
Message 281 of 769
Kingalexander28
Aspirant

When trying to download the file, i get an error saying, "this file disk image is corrupted couldnt mount file" what is this and how to i bypass it?

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:

Hi all, 

We have another firmware for you to test. Thank you for your patience so far. I don't have a change log available at the moment but I assume you would like to try it now vs waiting any longer. Once I have the change log I will update this post with it. 

I would highly recommend you do a factory reset after upgrading for the freshest installation.

Firmware: https://www.dropbox.com/s/akudcavvw87jrk8/XR500-V2.3.2.108.img?dl=0

Message 282 of 769
TimChang
NETGEAR Employee

Hi @Smiley3303, the DHCP lease time is controlled by ISP DHCP server, the DHCP client can only accept it, we can't change the value by Router. For the DHCP issue you had now, can you help to get the logs from our debug page(192.168.1.1/debug.htm)? And one of the users said disable the QoS congestion control setting(set to "Never"), then no more issue over one week. Can you also confirm did you enable QoS congestion control? 

Message 283 of 769
Kingalexander28
Aspirant

@TimChang @Netduma-Fraser Hello, when downloading the xr500 dumaos 3.0 beta, and when trying to open it i recieve a error, " Disc image corrupter cannot open or windows can open this disc becuase it might be corrupted" how do i fix this?

Message 284 of 769
TimChang
NETGEAR Employee

Hi @Kingalexander28 , the firmware can't be opened by Windows. Please login Router GUI, and Select Settings > Administration > Firmware Update. Use "Browse" to load this firmware and do the firmware upgrade.

Message 285 of 769
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Baturi that's good to hear, would you be able to collect the LAN/WAN Capture in case it happens again?
Message 286 of 769
Smiley3303
Star

The issue I am speaking to is that the lease on the router itself is set for 24 hours. You can't choose when and you can't extend that time to a more reasonable time like a month or a year. Generally speaking my ip although not static via the modem is not going to change unless i reboot or have a power outage. When the lease is renewed by the router it drops the connection to all devices for a short period even if assigned a local static ip. So for example if I am gaming when this occurs (the reason most of us bought this unit) I am diced. I then often times have to log back into xbox live or at least the EA game to get connection again. Why can't this be changed to a longer duration like even cheap linksys routers had 20 years ago? I understand if my ISP changes my modem lease that will impact my connection but this is a local setting and issue that is driving me crazy partially as it is an oversite. The only work around right now is to renew the lease at a time you don't expect to need consistant internet which only sticks until a change is made or router is rebooted then it is back to around midnight central once again. If this can be fixed I would honestly love this unit but it is so frustrating losing games becaus of disconnect when you have a highend router (XR500) and modem it just shouldnt be an issue. If I am off base please let me know. I am just frustrated by this and Midco says they can't do anything. I might need to get you a new file after it does it tonight at around 2:00am central.

See attached

Message 287 of 769
shaolin95
Guide

I am glad youi mentioned the AX11000 as I have been considering that for a long time.

Like you, I just got tired...so I am joining the AX11000 club as well. So long Netgear and your lack of support...

Message 288 of 769
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Smiley3303 @TimChang please take a look at this.

From the debug menu, start a LAN/WAN packet capture and when the issue happens go back and save the debug log, then upload the zip file please so Tim can pass it on to the NG devs.
Message 289 of 769
Smiley3303
Star

I’ll save it after it happens tonight. I can’t upload as a zip thought they won’t allow it.
Message 290 of 769
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Smiley3303 upload to dropbox or a site like that and then private message @TimChang with it please.
Message 291 of 769
drcheesenipz
Guide

Wired devices are being labeled as offline again, even though they are operational and connected to the net. It does get fixed with a reboot. And as for DHCP for internal devices, it would be nice to have an option to change the lease times. 24 hours seems too frequent for a router that is being utilized by home users, in my opinion.

Message 292 of 769
mrbuckwheet
Initiate

I've been using the asus ax11000 for most a week now and I can't begin to tell everyone how much of an improvement its been over the XR500. Full support for wifi6, ping less then 4ms while gaming on ps5 and with other devices connected on my network, 0 interference from smart devices that are on 24/7 (smart plugs, alexa, security cameras, etc). Although this baby was $400 it is loaded with awesome advanced features, great app support so I can control everything from my phone, and the most important thing no more disconnects or restarts. Working from home in an area with horrible cell phone reception requires my internet connection be reliable and steady. I have a 4g cell phone extension thats connected over internet and with the XR500 I would be in the middle of a call only to have it dropped from a disconnect or restart. I watch TV through a streaming service and once in a while I would loose connection. The list goes on and on with the horrible experiences I've had over the last few months. After switching out to the asus model I can honestly say it was a great move. I only want to share the new satisfaction and happiness i have now. Maybe others will take this into consideration if they are thinking about moving on especially if they had the same horrible experiences that I had with netgear.
Message 293 of 769
TimChang
NETGEAR Employee

@Smiley3303 I posted a trail firmware at another thread. Sorry i didn't notice this is another thread. Would you kindly load it and see if you still see the internet drop issue? https://ntgr-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/tichang_netgear_com/Ecek7S3fUjZHmGi11s60rNQB1eZUv5HHh-...

For the DHCP lease time, it is controlled by ISP server, becasue the onwer to issue DHCP IP needs to have full control to all IPs they assigned. Please try this firmware first and see if you still have the issue. And please provide the debug log to us if you see the issue in this trail firmware. Thanks for your help!

Message 294 of 769
Smiley3303
Star

Please help me understand though how this router setting is modem or ISP based? This setting renewing my lease on the ip address but it is staying the same becasue the lease provide to the Modem which is also Netgear didn't change IP and from what I can tell didn't renew lease with ISP this is simply the router saying can I have another 24 hours when I want it to do this like monthly or yearly not daily. At the very least let me choose the time of day so I can set to when I am in bed. All other routers I have had allow me to choose this setting why doesn't the XR500? Are you saying the modem is renewing the lease? If that is the case why use a beta version of router firmware at all as it won't help me.

My issue is solely based on DHCP lease. I really can live with anything else the router does or provides. I just want to be able to have a choice in my lease time. Is that possible? Is that on the version you sent me? I can tell you without a doubt on current version I am using which is the latest stable release my internet will go out at 2am central or so and this is 100% based on the 24 hour lease period.

Message 295 of 769
TimChang
NETGEAR Employee

@Smiley3303 The DHCP lease time is controlled by DHCP server, that is definitely no doubt. If you are interested, you can refer to many arcticles via google search. ex. https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/dhcp-lease-time/

In your case, XR500 internet connection is through DHCP client to get the IP from the Modem, so the DHCP lease time is controlled by Modem DHCP server. What i said the ISP is depending on how you setup your Modem. In your case, you setup the Modem as a Router mode, so the Modem will provide the IP to XR500. If you setup the Modem to bridge mode, that means all traffic will transparent trasfer from ISP to XR500, that includes the DHCP IP assigement. I will suggest to setup as a bridge mode, because it won't create a double-NAT environment. However, if you didn't envounter any issues in double-NAT mode, you can keep it.

So for the lease time, we can't change it, you should change it in your Modem. For you exprience that some Routers have the ability to change it, please provide some screenshot for my reference. I think it maybe the DHCP server in the Router, the purpose it to assign IP to all your connected devices.

Come back to the trail firmware i provided to you. It improved the short internet disconnection issue when DHCP lease time expires. In our design before, it didn't consider that some application such as your online gaming, it is very sensitve to internet connection, and seems like it will terminate the gaming even under a very short timing disconneciotn. So for the trail firmware test, you can do get DHCP IP in your regular time, and watch it in Tomorrow to see if it still has the internet disconnection. Thanks!

Message 296 of 769
Smiley3303
Star

According to my log on the modem connection is not dropped and my ip with Midco hasn’t changed for many days at a time. That is why I don’t understand why you are saying it is set by the server. My ip with isp isn’t changing but the router just decided hey I am going to renew and drop gaming connection. If it would just be coded it not renew the IP address it has for a week or two at a time my issues would be gone. I have a fair amount of devices but a 2 week lease time would be great in a home internet environment. I don’t have a double nat situation at my house as the modem is issuing the ip to my router and then my router is giving all my devices a local address. My modem is just a regular modem I don’t even think it can hand out local addresses only one address assigned by isp dynamically. Am I missing something here? Sure I could game direct to my modem but then I would have to take my whole home offline while I game. I have a Netgear CM1000 connected to XR500. Can I really be the only one who is asking for a lease time adjustment in the router? This is the feature dropping internet for me where I would have solid connection if I went direct to modem. Based on the logs the modem is not dropping the router the router is losing the modem while it renews for a short period.

I will load up the Version you sent and test out in the am. Then follow up with the log once I have it.
Message 297 of 769
TimChang
NETGEAR Employee

@Smiley3303 When the lease time expires, it just negotiates the new IP lease, there is no drop action via DHCP negotiation. What i said the DHCP lease time is controlled by DHCP server is because this is its responbility, only server can decide the lease time timer, the assignee can't change this lease time timer. Your observation is right, Modem didn't drop the connection, it is XR500 to drop it shotly in case the IP get changed. Anyway, we've improved this in this trail firmware, hope it will solve your issue. 

Message 298 of 769
mardock2009
Guide

I am using a modem openreach 612 + latest firmware mod and I have no problem with maintaining internet crying

config pppoe on xr500

the only problem is dhcp lan disconnects from time to time... but this is already known and is to be fixed in the new beta...

Message 299 of 769
fooka03
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser

Well, connection lasted two days.  LAN connections dropped again tonight.  Not sure what to do at this point.  Older firmware has performance issues but at least maintains connectivity.

Message 300 of 769
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7