× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I have been using XR1000 for almost an year

TheSpartan
Aspirant

I have been using XR1000 for almost an year

Here are my issues, Firmware is broken. I had waited for firmware updates to get the issues fixed but the issues are still there, for example QOS upload speed limit doesn't work even if I uncheck Upload Share Excess . Bandwidth management for devices doesn't work properly for example if I set the download limit to 175 Mbps, my download speed is 200, sometime later my download speed goes limited to 120 even though I get 200 Mbps on my other devices and those devices have the lowest priority. Custom MAC address don't work.
Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

How is your DHCP IP address pool range configured? 

How is wifi Basic and Advanced wireless configured?

How is QOS and Gaming configurations configured? 

Screen captures help here.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.

I don't use QoS generally on my 1Gb line. When I do I set the sliders to 99% since I'm the only one gameing and I game at night when router services are less needed. Seeing some NH app issues with the router and this seems to be a app issue though:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/New-XR1000-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-64-R...

Otherwise, XR1000 worked well for me. 

Message 2 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using PPPoE? If so that issue is resolved in the next version. That sounds like more devices have been added to the network and so Bandwidth Allocation re-adjusts to provide bandwidth to the new devices. Bandwidth Allocation isn't a priority feature, if you want to prioritize devices then use Traffic Prioritization. Can you expand on the MAC issue, what is it you're trying to do and how are you determining it isn't working?
Message 3 of 18
TheSpartan
Aspirant

TheSpartan_0-1669165400197.png

I made a video, but the screenshot sums up everything.

Edit: I have attached a screenshot with a different address I used to test it.

Message 4 of 18
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

ARP will show you the MAC address of the LAN interface on the XR, whereas the MAC address shown in the interface is the MAC address of the WAN interface.

Message 5 of 18
TheSpartan
Aspirant

When I tested it before to setup the router for the first time it didn't work. My ISP only allows their own router, so I set the MAC as the same as the ISP provided router, it didn't work but later my ISP added the default MAC address of the router to my account so it's working now. Can you look into my other issue, why the router doesn't limit Upload speed through congestion control and Bandwidth allocation even if i uncheck upload share excess. Checkout the screenshots. I have 10 devices connected at most concurrently but it usually 6 devices.

TheSpartan_0-1669231975887.png

TheSpartan_2-1669232035814.png

Message 6 of 18
TheSpartan
Aspirant

I have the latest frimware 1.0.0.64 .

my modem is ISP provided, it's a starry modem.

Ip address range looks like this

TheSpartan_0-1669232758150.png

wifi basic looks like this 

TheSpartan_1-1669232960349.png

don't pay attention to 2.4 GHZ, I don't use that.

Advanced WIFI settings look like this

TheSpartan_2-1669233109116.png

QOS looks like this

TheSpartan_3-1669233468973.png

Highest one is the device i want to prioritize.

I did factory reset few times after i installed the latest firmware. I still have the same issues.

Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try channel 40 or 149 on 5Ghz. 

I would enable Smart Connect and Beamforming as well. 

Message 8 of 18
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Good advice above.

Unfortunately we're not able to see your screenshots as they've not been moderated yet. Are you able to attach them as files or upload them somewhere?

Does you ISP require you use PPPoE, VLAN or DHCP identifiers in order to get connected to the internet?

Message 9 of 18
TheSpartan
Aspirant

My internet connection type is set to 6to4 Tunnel. It was selected automatically. To recreate the Upload speed issue do the following steps.

Set the upload to 25 percent in congestion control

Then run a speed test. If the router has the issue then you will get full upload speed.

Congestion control for download works fine for me.
Message 10 of 18
TheSpartan
Aspirant

I have to use dfs channel cause many other wifi networks around me broadcasts on regular channels and I can't use smart connect because it combines 2.4 ghz and 5ghz into one ssid. Beamforming doesn't fix the QOS issue.
Message 11 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay so IPv6 is causing it, that may be resolved in the next version as well. Why are you unable to use normal channels and Smart Connect exactly?
Message 12 of 18
TheSpartan
Aspirant

I can't use normal channels because normal channels are extremely congested. No one else around me uses Dfs channels. I get better speed and latency with dfs channels than regular channels. I want to keep 2.4 and 5ghz separate because i don't my PC and phone to connect to 2.4 ghz when my PC and phone gets disconnected or can't reach 5ghz.
Message 13 of 18
TheSpartan
Aspirant

Even if I turn off ipv6 the QOS issue is still there.
Message 14 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you use PPPoE as well as IPv6 or VLAN? Have you put a device in the DMZ? How did you disable QoS exactly?
Message 15 of 18
TheSpartan
Aspirant

I have confirmed with my isp that they uses PPPoE. I haven't put any device in the dmz but I have port forwarding for a service and UPnP. I didn't disable QOS. I use QOS to reserve bandwidth for heavy tasks such as game streaming and meeting. QOS on xr1000 don't have any effect on upload speed.
Message 16 of 18
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

That would explain it, this is a known issue with QoS and PPPoE, we should have that resolved for the next version.

Are you able to configure these PPPoE settings on the ISP modem instead?

If not, do you have any other routers you can put inbetween the XR and the modem? You can then configure PPPoE on that router, disable it's Wi-Fi and put the XR in it's DMZ.

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

You can help with some congestion by lowering the power transmit on the router from 100% to say 50% and then you could use other normal non DFS channels. 

@TheSpartan wrote:
I can't use normal channels because normal channels are extremely congested. No one else around me uses Dfs channels. I get better speed and latency with dfs channels than regular channels. I want to keep 2.4 and 5ghz separate because i don't my PC and phone to connect to 2.4 ghz when my PC and phone gets disconnected or can't reach 5ghz.

Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7