× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IPV6 not working on XR1000

jeremyg237
Luminary

All,

Decided to return item. With IPV4 only being supported on this item it was slowing internet as well as not working with certaian smart apps etc on the TV. Thank you so much for your time and effort in trying to remedy this. I have gotten no email, phone call etc from Netgear about this and I want to make sure I get my money back before time runs out. Thanks again Netduma team. 

Message 26 of 63
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that! 

Thank you for your time and perseverance nonetheless!

Message 27 of 63
NikciD
Tutor

@Jeremy I like your sense of sarcasm, and i agree with your perspective. I am having the same problem. I am contemplating connecting my xr500 back up.
Message 28 of 63
NikciD
Tutor

Mine detected dhcp and a couple of times (oddly enough) it detected 6 4 tunneling. I think it's broken.
Message 29 of 63
NikciD
Tutor

That's not going to work. I have the latest and it still doesn't work.
Message 30 of 63
NikciD
Tutor

I don't.
Message 31 of 63
NikciD
Tutor

Would toy please share that link with me as well? As I am having the same problem. I think it's a design problem, probably.
Message 32 of 63
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Switch to DHCP specifically, does it work properly then?
Message 33 of 63
NikciD
Tutor

Yes, it's definitely broken. I had the same experience. I'm a developer and I can assure you that this model is broken and they have to deliver a fix. It's really disappointing. I returned mine and reverted back to my xr500. This is a serious defect. You would think that this world be resolved by now. I am now OkYou've at other gaming routers to weigh my options.
Message 34 of 63
jeremyg237
Luminary

And I'm back. Decided to buy another one today thinking it would be good. Guess what. Still no IPv6. Seriously. I dont want to take it back because, well I do not want to. I want it to work. But it dont. Smiley Frustrated

Message 35 of 63
jeremyg237
Luminary

1. Model does not show in model for topic.

2. I have owned the following: orginal NETDUMA, XR500 and now the XR1000.

3. My XR500 IPV6 worked fine. 

4. IPV6 will not work regardless what I try. Auto config, DHCP or Auto detect on the XR1000.

5. Yes I want to use IPV6 because that is what is recommended by XBOX as well as other websites. Also it worked on my XR500 so....

Just got this today. I only change two things when I get a router. UPNP to on and change IPV6. Please let me know if there is a fix for this. If not I will be sending back pronto. 

6. This time I bought a CM1200 cable modem. 

7. Yes the IPv6 will work with the CM1200 and XR500. 

8. Turned off UPNP because of hacking concerns, but also turned it on for testing. No quesodilla. Come on meow. 

Message 36 of 63
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear this!

If you've got your XR500 currently connected, could you please try connecting the XR1000 to the XR500, so you physical setup is as follows:

Modem -> XR500 ->XR1000 -> Connected devices

Then connect to the XR1000 interface and enable AP mode. 

Check if devices connected to the XR1000 get an IPv6 address, this is just a test to try and narrow down where the problem lies. I'm not sugesting you use your new XR1000 as an AP permanently.

Message 37 of 63
jeremyg237
Luminary

All,

Had trouble setting it up they way you wanted me to and logging into the router XR1000. So I hooked the XR 500 up and copied every setting I could find. Then I actually saved a copy on my PC. Hooked the XR1000 back up and tried the same settings as the xr500. No joy. So I tried to restore it with a xr 500 back up. It said that I needed to use the correct packet. SO then I decided to try auto detect with use these servers checked and use DHCP checked. Holy**bleep** boys it actually works now. IPv6. I will watch it for a few days to make sure that it stays that way. Fingers crossed.

Message 38 of 63
NikciD
Tutor

Got my ipv6 to work for less than half a day. They have a big and what's so disappointing is they have not fixed something so important to the purpose of the router. As hard as it was for me to switch I bought an asus gaming router and I love it. It actually works!
Message 39 of 63
NikciD
Tutor

He shouldn't have to do that. This is not a new problem for the XR 1000. The developers should have jumped in this immediately. Instead there had been no resolve. I would consider myself a die hard netgear customer. I have multiple types of your routers, models and switches just because I like your technology. There are some disappointing things about the XR50P as well, however, there are alot of good things. With that being said. I bought an ASUS gaming router last week because the icky other option for me was to re- purchase your broken XR-1000, that apparently is not a priority for the Netgear Dev team.
Message 40 of 63
NikciD
Tutor

Yes that's what he meant earlier hence the ">" symbol. It means modem to router connection.
Message 41 of 63
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

@jeremyg237 Thanks for reporting back, so DHCP is now working correctly on the XR1000? If so, great work! Let us know how you get on with it.

@NikciD Sorry to hear you've since stopped using your XR, I can understand it's frustrating to have a core networking feature not working properly for you. Netgear are investigating this issue and we're hoping it's fixed for the next firmware, though I can't offer a firm ETA as I work for Netduma and don't know the exact progress of Netgear's development.

Message 42 of 63
jeremyg237
Luminary

Houston we have an issue. Decided to hop onto xbox this morning to check 1pv6 and it was gone. The system was showing ipv4. However I turned the system to go offline then back on and it revertted back to 1pv4 and 6. So idid a test IPv6-test.com and got the following. 

Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all.

I think we ARE NARROWING IT DOWN. 

Message 43 of 63
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK sure, could you add a port forwarding rule for port 58? This is the port ICMPv6 uses so we want to make sure this traffic is getting through OK.

Message 44 of 63
jeremyg237
Luminary

What exactly do you want me to put. Therer are alot of options. etc

Message 45 of 63
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Make a custom port forwarding rule for a device you want to test with then port forward that port
Message 46 of 63
jeremyg237
Luminary

Done.  Now we just need to wait I guess. Put the potforward rule on my XBOX series x. 

Message 47 of 63
jeremyg237
Luminary

Turned on th xbox this morning and it was in ipv4 mode and moderate. Asaid an issue with UPNP. Found some articles on the community page concerning ICMP ipv6. Looks like this is a biger issue in the community. 

Message 48 of 63
NikciD
Tutor

Jeremy, yes it is. It's the same error that I've gotten and probably anyone with this model that desires to use ipv6. Netgear knows that they released a porridge with a huge defect. The worst part is that they have not released a fix. This router has been out too long to have this kind of bug. This is a performance defect. I'm ashamed of the developers that work for Netgear and Netduma. This is unacceptable.
Message 49 of 63
jeremyg237
Luminary

Also while going through something on my PC I noticed I was on a public network for firewall setting. Changed it to private. I did the following beloow. 

1. Search for Windows Firewall, and click to open it.
  2. Click Advanced Settings on the left.
  3. From the left pane of the resulting window, click Inbound Rules.
  4. In the right pane, find the rules titled File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv4-In).
  5. Right-click each rule and choose Enable Rule.

I enabled all the ipv6s .

Turned my xbox back on and it had ipv6 on it with open nat. Hoping that the PC could not communicate with the router with the firewall not allowing ipv6. We shall see.

Message 50 of 63
Discussion stats
  • 62 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7