× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Night Hawk XR1000 can't get apps to load on smart tv or anything wifi connected

akall040
Aspirant

Night Hawk XR1000 can't get apps to load on smart tv or anything wifi connected

Our entire house is on cellular internet. (county living) So everything is wifi.  A cellular device is on our roof and that comes into the house and is plugged into our router. The company we go thru made an upgrade on 10/30 and we have internet, everything shows we are connected but when I try to load apps on our smart TV (Netflix, HBOMax, Hulu they will not load.  I can't use Alexa or our irobot vaccum, basicly most everything on the network.  BUT I can use my laptop to work and YOUTUBETV works.  The Smart TV shows connected as well.  Both the Nighthawk XR1000 and our Samsung smart tv are about 5.5 months old.  We have unplugged tv, we have unplugged router, we have reset router, we have reset TV... nothing works.  For example we get an error on Netflix NW-2-5 and when I look it up it says it usually means a network connectivity issue is stopping your device from reaching Netflix.  But router and tv and everything shows connected.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Night Hawk XR1000 can't get apps to load on smart tv or anything wifi connected

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is Smart Connect, Beamforming and MIMO enabled or disabled? 

Message 2 of 9
akall040
Aspirant

We live in the country and we have cellular service.  So we have a cellular transponder on our roof and it has a rj45 coming into our house and plugged into our nighthawk router.  We've had this since May with great internet and service but something changed. Our entire house is WIFI there is no modem.

When I try to enable smart connect it says I need to update wifi connections?

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok just checking to see if there was a wifi router at the ISP modem/debarcation point. 

Seems that Smart connect is enabled, if you disable it, you need to setup separate SSID names for the 2.4 and 5Ghz radios is all. You can use same PW for both of course. 

Do you do lots of gaming? 

Message 4 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just in case you weren't aware you can connect devices via ethernet to the XR router and they will get internet - you don't have to use the WiFi for every device.

Did your TV ever work with the WiFi? If so when did you first notice the issue, was it after a setting change?
Message 5 of 9
akall040
Aspirant

We do zero gaming.  We just wanted to buy the best router we could and this was recommended.

Message 6 of 9
akall040
Aspirant

Our entire house has been on WIFI since day one.  The cellular company came out and made an upgrade on our transponder and that's when things stopped working.  They never came into the house tho.  We have internet tho. 

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

"The cellular company came out and made an upgrade on our transponder and that's when things stopped working." if everything was working up to this point with the XR router and ISP services, then I would contact the cell service provider and see if they can help on this. If it was working before they made changes, I would presume they need to look in to what they changed. 

Though the XR router is a good router, it may not be the best for your needs. If you don't do any gaming, then your not using the XR routers gaming features which it was designed and marketed towards. Though it's not required you game, the money you spent may be better in something that is more suited to your general wifi and internet needs. However if the router has been working for you, be all means, keep it. 

Message 8 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Definitely would suggest disabling Smart Connect as above and connecting manually to 2.4/5GHz instead, some devices have trouble being switched between them automatically (which is what smart connect does) then see if it works
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7