× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: xr500 LAN ports sometime will stop working

Seanabong2200
Apprentice

I turn instant on back on and it messed up this morning. I left my console on and restarted the router then I sent the report in the way you said through insider hub. My gamer tag is Seanabong2200
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 76 of 242
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

Even sent a pic showing the 1 report in my name.
Message 77 of 242
taichou
Tutor

Can we have any ETA on a possible firmware update on this?

By the way, I think the whole issue with this router is from DHCP. I cannot find any DHCP settings on the router to increase lease time (unless I'm blind and I'm missing it) so what I did last night was set a reservation for my PC before going to sleep. Woke up this morning and my PC had its connection still intact! So I'm happy about that, but still, for a consumer router, most people would return this thing before trying to fix it themselves or waiting for the OS company to fix their issue with it.

Message 78 of 242
Hate
Apprentice

So I posted in the other thread but looks like I've narrowed it down to LAN ports for me as well. Both Xbox One and PC are connected to LAN ports and won't have internet accessbility after 24 hours..wireless works fine.

I agree with this comment above, how is this still a thing? No urgency?

XR500, latest firmware. 

Message 79 of 242
taichou
Tutor

Looks like I was wrong, setting the DHCP reservation for my PC did not work. Still an issue apparently. Guess I'll return this router for another one.

Message 80 of 242
Hate
Apprentice

Funny enough, just had the LAN ports stop working on me right now. So not even, 24 hours after a reboot this time, more like 6. Wi-Fi still worked fine.

Message 81 of 242
P111
Luminary

Oddly, last night I got this problem too. The router was pretty much unused. There was only one PC connected and it wasn't doing anything. The wireless was manually switched off. I left it like that for about eight hours or so, then when I switched on my gaming PC, nothing. No internet, no local lan, nothing. I assume though without the router working the local lan won't either becuase nothing has an ip. Anyway, the router looked fine, no orange lights, but I couldn't contact the router ( not responding on 192.168.1.1) and it and it needed a reset to get it working again.

Honestly this is actually a very worrying development. Bugs like this are notoriously difficult to locate.

Message 82 of 242
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
I wasn't apart of the meeting but for those with an Xbox that are having the issue please read the following carefully:

Go to the Store and install the Xbox Insider Hub app.
Launch the app and accept the terms of use.
A new option will be displayed when you bring up the Power Menu by pressing and holding the Xbox button on a controller: ‘Report a problem’. Selecting the ‘Report a problem’ button will snap logs and launch the Xbox Insider Hub into a bug reporting flow. Within the app select ‘Add new problem’, then under Categories select ‘System and settings’, then ‘Network Settings and Issues’. Then type in a description and details and then submit the bug. Once that’s done, provide the gamertag that was signed in so I can provide it to the Xbox team member to pull the bug and logs.

Important: Make sure that the bug is filed shortly after the issue occurs and without the console being rebooted so that the networking logs are still present. Will need to know what the you did and when to get the console back on the network so they can line that up with the logs to get a clearer picture.

have you gotten any update on this problem yet? still the issue is happening and now i see even more people are having the problem and this is with a pc not a gaming console like the xbox one x

please respond when you can Fraser. thank you  

Message 83 of 242
benshane
Aspirant

Hi. I am having this same issue.  I am on firmware V2.3.2.32. Is that the same one that is getting PM'ed to everyone? If not, any help would be appreciated. This has been a pain for a couple of months now.  

Message 84 of 242
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

The best step here is to contact NETGEAR's official support. By registering a case with them, they will be able to send you a firmware (if there is one) to fix and also look into a replacement if necessary. In other words - get in direct contact with them as this is not something the NETGEAR community will be able to help with.

Message 85 of 242
MrEric
Guide

Any news for this ? Did the reports through the console help to solve  something ?

Message 86 of 242
benshane
Aspirant

Well my problem does seem to be fixed at the moment. We have 3 xboxes in the house. I had to change the power settings on each one to ENERGY SAVER instead of INSTANT ON. Honestly that's a bummer considering the XR500 is considered a gaming router. But at least I'm not resetting my router multiple times a day now.
Message 87 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi MrEric, unfortunately I haven't heard any more news regarding the issue. Glad to hear that Ben, I realise it's frustrating and hopefully we'll have a working solution soon but glad you have a workaround.
Message 88 of 242
MyWebs
Aspirant

My issue seems similar but maybe slightly different. My PS4 Pro will randomly report that the "LAN cable has been disconnected" XR500. It never loses the connection for very long, most often just a split second. I have the most recent firmware V2.3.2.32 running. When this problem first started happening I bought a brand new Cat6 as I figured that was the problem.

The only support I have left at this time is hardware and these forums. I'm not paying to get support for a faulty product that should have worked right from day one. So hopefully I can find some help here, otherwise I'll have to return this modem which I really don't want to do.

Message 89 of 242
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi - have you tried using a different Ethernet port on the router in case there is a faulty one?

Also, have you raised a ticket with NETGEAR's official support? If you raise a case there, they will be able to give you full support too.

Message 90 of 242
Hate
Apprentice

Honestly, don't waste your time with NETGEAR support, it's an even bigger joke than these forums.

Take notice of all these threads with the issue that has been going on for numerous users over the past month or so, RETURN THE ROUTER!

NETGEAR/Netduma aren't taking us seriously. What kind of half-ass support still doesn't release a fix for this? People have been complaining over a month.

If you value your time and your money (and even respect yourself a little bit) you'd return this joke of a router. Is Geo-Filtering alone worth $100 to you? I sure hope not.

Also, take notice of ALL the topics that are now pinned to the top. There was never this many before (nor does there need to be even half of them) and none of them are even new, they are trying to hide all the issues with this product lower on the page so you have to scroll down. It's a scum company. 

Message 91 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We (Netduma) have escalated it as far as we can, the issue isn't in our code base so we can't do anything about it. Its not an easy fix for them otherwise they would have.
Message 92 of 242
garylewis8
Tutor

Just got this router on 11/24 and am experiencing the periodic disconnect for wired ports. I'm running firmware version .32 (latest as of this post.)

My cable modem is a Netgear CM1000. Everything was working fine with an Asus router until I "upgraded" to this one yesterday.

I saw in another thread that there might be a beta fix for this issue? I'd be willing to give it a try.

Posting a section of my log.  It has the DHCP events that were mentioned in other posts in case that's related.

[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Sunday, November 25, 2018 09:02:25
[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Sunday, November 25, 2018 09:02:25
[DHCP IP: 192.168.50.5] to MAC address d4:c9:ef:03:90:30, Sunday, November 25, 2018 09:02:43
[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Sunday, November 25, 2018 09:02:43
[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Sunday, November 25, 2018 09:02:43
[DoS Attack: ARP Attack] from source: 76.102.128.1, Sunday, November 25, 2018 09:19:13
[DHCP IP: 192.168.50.202] to MAC address c4:b3:01:9f:a2:12, Sunday, November 25, 2018 09:29:56
[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Sunday, November 25, 2018 09:29:56
[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Sunday, November 25, 2018 09:29:56
[admin login] from source 192.168.50.3, Sunday, November 25, 2018 09:33:24
[DHCP IP: 192.168.50.11] to MAC address 1c:1b:0d:0b:62:a4, Sunday, November 25, 2018 09:35:06
[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Sunday, November 25, 2018 09:35:06
[DumaOS] DHCP new lease allocated., Sunday, November 25, 2018 09:35:06
[DHCP IP: 192.168.50.202] to MAC address c4:b3:01:9f:a2:12, Sunday, November 25, 2018 09:38:10
[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Sunday, November 25, 2018 09:38:10
[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Sunday, November 25, 2018 09:38:10

Message 93 of 242
benshane
Aspirant

Mine is still holding strong after changing the power settings on my Xbox from Instant on to power saver. Not sure if that's what's causing your issue or not but I was experiencing the same problem. WiFi seem to work fine but I would lose LAN lines and have to restart the router.
Message 94 of 242
garylewis8
Tutor

Thanks - I suspect mine is related to the DHCP lease changing. My PC had 192.168.50.3 and then was re-assigned 192.168.50.11 this morning. I think the times correlate with the time of my last outage. I'll try to take careful note of the time next time this happens.

Does anyone know if reserving an address is a work-around for this?

-Gary

Message 95 of 242
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Gary - that's a pretty good idea. See if reserving address solves your problem. I'll also DM you a hotfix firmware which might solve your problem too.

Message 96 of 242
MrEric
Guide

@garylewis8 that would be interesting to see the result of your test. But TBH, all my wired connections had fixed IP, and that didn't help the network to turn off with the xbox on instant on mode...

FYI, there was a new xbox Alpha few days ago, with again a new "various fixes for network connectivity". Unfortunately still no luck after a test and the LAN goes OFF randomly after I reconnected the xbox (works perfectly when the xbox is on wifi).

Message 97 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So Eric just to clarify:
Instant On mode & LAN = Issue
Instant On mode & WiFi = No issue
Instant On disabled & LAN = No issue
Is that correct?
Message 98 of 242
garylewis8
Tutor

I'm still monitoring closely but haven't had any further issues. To be fair though, I haven't been playing games as much the last couple of days since it's the work week. I don't have an XBox connected to a lan port only a Windows 10 PC; I just posted to this thread because it seemed the most active of several related to this problem. I have the beta patch from Netduma (thanks!) but haven't applied it yet as I'm trying to see if reserving an IP helps anything.

Another possible test will be to switch to static IP on my PC. I also thought about running a separate DHCP and disabling the one on the router though I'd really like to not jump through all of these hoops.

BTW - I see lots of participation from Netduma on this forum but no Netgear. What's up with that? It would be nice to get a clue whether the DHCP stuff might be related or if it's just a by-product of the router resetting around the same time.

I'll update with more info when I have it.

Message 99 of 242
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's Netgears community forum, not their official support channels so you'll rarely see input from Netgears staff. As we created the software and have our own forum which we do use to comment on support queries we do not want people to go without help which is why we comment here also.
Message 100 of 242
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7