Reply

RAX120 Started Shutting Off

RaffyTaffy213
Aspirant

RAX120 Started Shutting Off

Purchased a RAX120 from Best Buy on May 21, 2019 and everything has been working flawlessly until last night when the router started shutting off on its own. There's internet throughput coming from my modem so I narrowed the problem down to the router. Latest firmware is installed, did a manual reset with the pinhole button at the back of the router, plugged the power supply directly to the wall instead of a powerstrip, but it keeps shutting off on its own and starting up again on its own. Anyone experienced this issue/know of a solution? Can't return the router to Best Buy anymore because it's past their standard 14 day return policy. 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 27
sjbhh
Guide

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

Same here. Switching off AX mode in the router solved the rebooting. Not sure when there will be a solution but Netgear support is useless in this. They switched my hardware but that did not solve the issue. 

Message 2 of 27
Christian_R
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

Hello RaffyTaffy213 & sjbhh,

 

Just to confirm, the router shuts off entirely meaning the LED lights are off? If so, how long does it take for the router to reboot back up? Is there an action being performed on a particular device connected to your router (wired or wireless devices) when the issue occurs? 

 

~Christian 

Message 3 of 27
sjbhh
Guide

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

There is no action performed. As soon as the computer connects the router, the RAX120 crashes and reboots.

It is a complete reboot with all lights off and takes exactly the same time as a standard boot-cycle.

As soon as the Wi-Fi is back on, the PC will automatically try to connect again. As soon as it says Connected the router crashes again and we start the reboot and so on.  

Message 4 of 27
Christian_R
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

@sjbhh - Thanks for getting back. Has support followed up with you as your issue persists? Would you mind telling me what firmware version the router is currently on? 


~Christian 

Message 5 of 27
sjbhh
Guide

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

Hi, 

No, support has not followed up - I believe they have closed the case as they shipped out a new router. But that has not solved the issue. 

Firmware was 58, I also tried 84, 85 (send from support team) and now it is 86. 

 

I would appreciate if somebody could follow up on this. Thank you.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 6 of 27
RaffyTaffy213
Aspirant

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

Hi all so I disabled AX on my router and it's working again like normal. Going to wait a day or two to see if it's stable but for right now it's working fine. It's a shame because I have a Wifi 6 network card installed on my desktop so I was hoping to use the router and my desktop to their fullest potential. Firmware installed on mine is 1.0.1.86

Message 7 of 27
Redtulips7
Apprentice

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off


@RaffyTaffy213 wrote:

Hi all so I disabled AX on my router and it's working again like normal. Going to wait a day or two to see if it's stable but for right now it's working fine. It's a shame because I have a Wifi 6 network card installed on my desktop so I was hoping to use the router and my desktop to their fullest potential. Firmware installed on mine is 1.0.1.86

Mine doesn't do that so it has to be your Router causing this issue! also make sure it doesn't overheat???


 

Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 8 of 27
sjbhh
Guide

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

@Redtulips7 

I have tested two routers and two wi-fi cards. 

It does not look like it is the hardware as symptoms are the same on both and the same as RaffyTaffy213

 

Which AX Wi-fi Card are you connecting to and is that connecting at AX Mode ?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 9 of 27
RaffyTaffy213
Aspirant

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

I'm using a Killer AX1650 network card and right now AX is disabled

Message 10 of 27
avtella
Prodigy

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

Yeah that is odd, I have AX enabled as I upgraded 3 of my laptops WiFi cards to the Intel AX200 which is the original unbranded model of the AX1650. I haven’t had any reboots.

I wonder if it’s an interaction with some other client causing it to reboot or maybe it’s not handling switching from DFS channels very well if using HT160 assuming you are in area where there are priority utilities causing a DFS switch.


Mind mentioning what clients you have connected? Also do you have HT160 enabled and even if you are on HT80 are you inn DFS channels?
Message 11 of 27
avtella
Prodigy

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

I’m using AX with HT160 on the lower channels so it’s a combination of DFS and non-DFS channels.

I have the following on 5Ghz:
3 Dell Laptops using the Intel AX200 aka Killer AX1650 and 1 Dell on a Intel 9260ac and another on a Killer 1535 aka Qualcomm 6174a. My non AX clients include iPhone 7/8 Pluses, a 2017 iPad and a 2018 iPad Pro. Have an Apple TV also on 5Ghz.

On 2.4 GHz, non ax devices:
Chrome Cast 2, 2018 Sony Android TV and 2 Roku Ultras and a Sony Soundbar.
Message 12 of 27
sjbhh
Guide

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

Hi avtella, 

 

I am on HT80, non-DFS channels. 

 

Devices on the 5Ghz are 2 Win10 PCs with Killer 1650

non-AX are Macbook Pros, Macbook Airs, Ipads, Iphones and so on 

on the 2.4Ghz (all non-AX) are Sony Android TV, several Smart Home Devices, Radios, Speakers, Alexa Apple TV and more

 

 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 13 of 27
sjbhh
Guide

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

Could you let me know what exactly you have selected on the "Wireless Setup" page. 

So I can try and replicate with your settings ?

Thank you.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 14 of 27
Christian_R
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

@RaffyTaffy213 - Thanks for letting us know. Please feel free to provide another update on the thread. 

 

@sjbhh - Send me a message with your case number and email address and I'll have support follow up on your case.

 

~Christian 

Message 15 of 27
sjbhh
Guide

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

@Christian_R 

Just spoken to support 20 min ago. They got my conf file now and want to update me within 48 hours. Thank you.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 16 of 27
Christian_R
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

@sjbhh - Happy to hear you were able to get in touch with support. Feel free to update the thread.

 

~Christian 

Message 17 of 27
sjbhh
Guide

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

Turns out it was a firmware issue as expected.

After sending in various log and debug files over the past days 

I got firmware Version 1.0.1.89 from Netgear Support and the issue is resolved. 

 

I can now work on AX mode with both cards, the Killer1650 and the Intel AX200. 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 18 of 27
RaffyTaffy213
Aspirant

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

Where can I find Firmware v1.0.1.89? Can't seem to find it anywhere and want to re-enable AX without my router constantly shutting down on its own. 1.0.0.84 is the latest firmware update on the RAX120 download page at the time of this post. 

Message 19 of 27
sjbhh
Guide

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

I think you might have to call Support. They emailed it to me. But before you do this be aware 1.0.1.89 has other issues. 

Speed is much slower than on Firmware 84 even with AX switched of. I do not get above 100 Mbps with Firmware 89. 

So not really AX as it should be. 

 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 20 of 27
sjbhh
Guide

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

So, after beeing on the Firmware Version 1.0.1.89 for a week I have decided to go back to Firmware 1.0.0.84 which is the latest officially released by Netgear. Version 89 you could activate AX mode and it did not crash but speeds where so slow, that anything not beeing AX is multiple times faster. 

 

After talking to the Netgear Support again - also to inquire what happend after I had send it debug reports and so on - the lady told me that there will be a new firmware somewhen this year or next year. In consideration that this is a range of 6 month and more - I might just try a router that truly is able to do AX mode and stay away from Netgear for now.  

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 21 of 27
Redtulips7
Apprentice

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

RAX


@sjbhh wrote:

So, after beeing on the Firmware Version 1.0.1.89 for a week I have decided to go back to Firmware 1.0.0.84 which is the latest officially released by Netgear. Version 89 you could activate AX mode and it did not crash but speeds where so slow, that anything not beeing AX is multiple times faster. 

 

After talking to the Netgear Support again - also to inquire what happend after I had send it debug reports and so on - the lady told me that there will be a new firmware somewhen this year or next year. In consideration that this is a range of 6 month and more - I might just try a router that truly is able to do AX mode and stay away from Netgear for now.  

I am on FW .86 didn't notice any speed decrease regardless of wired or wireless!!! even with FW .84


 

Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 22 of 27
Redtulips7
Apprentice

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off


@Redtulips7 wrote:

RAX


@sjbhh wrote:

So, after beeing on the Firmware Version 1.0.1.89 for a week I have decided to go back to Firmware 1.0.0.84 which is the latest officially released by Netgear. Version 89 you could activate AX mode and it did not crash but speeds where so slow, that anything not beeing AX is multiple times faster. 

 

After talking to the Netgear Support again - also to inquire what happend after I had send it debug reports and so on - the lady told me that there will be a new firmware somewhen this year or next year. In consideration that this is a range of 6 month and more - I might just try a router that truly is able to do AX mode and stay away from Netgear for now.  

I am on FW .86 didn't notice any speed decrease regardless of wired or wireless!!! even with FW .84

Here is a speed test with FW .86


 


 

Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 23 of 27
sjbhh
Guide

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off

Firmware 86 was ok from a Speed perspective. I had other issues as it dropped data and you ended up with a lot of corrupt files. 

I assume that is why it is not available anymore on the Netgear websites. 

 

Apart from that it did not allow any kind of AX transmission. 

 

So I assume you are running in AC or AD mode ?

What card are you using in you PC ? Win10 ? 

 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 24 of 27
Redtulips7
Apprentice

Re: RAX120 Started Shutting Off


@sjbhh wrote:

Firmware 86 was ok from a Speed perspective. I had other issues as it dropped data and you ended up with a lot of corrupt files. 

I assume that is why it is not available anymore on the Netgear websites. 

 

Apart from that it did not allow any kind of AX transmission. 

 

So I assume you are running in AC or AD mode ?

What card are you using in you PC ? Win10 ? 

Desktop X299>Win 10>Wired>Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V 

Router : AX Mode with DFS 128

 


 

Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 4700 views
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements