Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 7800 firmware corrupted tftp.exe recovery fails

floydo
Aspirant

7800 firmware corrupted tftp.exe recovery fails

Recently updated from V1.0.2.46 to V1.0.2.52 by downloading file and using interface to update from PC.  (For some reason when using router interface the newer firmware check reported no new firmware). Waited 10 minutes before rebooting router (blinking white light).  Tried resetting router.  White blinking power light.  Went through steps in RMA hardware check, which takes you to reinstall firmware without CD recovery tool using tftp2.exe (19841).  Router responds to ping 192.168.1.1   Using the tool the router appears to be responding to the firmware (blinking), but after 3 tries tftp2.exe reports "unable to get responses from server".

Details

PC fixed IP 192.168.1.10, plugged in to ethernet port 1, applied tftp2 during orange power boot up of router, password tried was "password", tried previous admin password that I set, as well as the password shown on back of router.  Tried firmware 46 and 52.  After 3 tries tftp2.exe states unable to get responses...Article 19841 does not list 7800 in its applicability, but lists other nighthawk routers...curiously.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
floydo
Aspirant

I was able to restore to the 46 version.  Found https://forum.openwrt.org/t/r7800-back-to-stock-firmware/13973/7  link and used TFTP.exe command line to restore after doing a reset by holding in the reset, powering on the router, then when the orange light turns white blinking released the reset button. There were several other attempts but this worked..  The tftp2.exe did not even after trying this reset method....

Hope this helps someone else....Will try the 52 version firmware when I get some time.....

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
myersw
Master

Just for giggles and grins try without any password. That worked for me. 

Message 2 of 9
antinode
Guru

> [...] (19841). [...]

Do you mean this KB article?:  https://kb.netgear.com/19841

See:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1533866

That thread refers to a particular KB article:

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/

which Netgear (in its wisdom) seems to have removed, leading to a
blank/useless error page, rather than to its apparent replacement:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/

Also:
      https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/

> [...] try without any password. [...]

The first "T" in "TFTP" is for "Trivial".  So far as I know, TFTP
does not use a password.  That's part of "Trivial".  I have no idea what
those "Download and install [...]" programs do with a password, which is
one more reason to use a simple, command-line TFTP client program.

Message 3 of 9
floydo
Aspirant

I was able to restore to the 46 version.  Found https://forum.openwrt.org/t/r7800-back-to-stock-firmware/13973/7  link and used TFTP.exe command line to restore after doing a reset by holding in the reset, powering on the router, then when the orange light turns white blinking released the reset button. There were several other attempts but this worked..  The tftp2.exe did not even after trying this reset method....

Hope this helps someone else....Will try the 52 version firmware when I get some time.....

Message 4 of 9
floydo
Aspirant

Thanks Bill, I did try that and it didn't work either (using the original start router and use tftp2.exe before the white blinking power method).

Message 5 of 9

For the benefit of anyone else who comes across this discussion, Netgear recently updated its TFTP advice to take on board the "command line" option.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Other people have also reported failure with third party TFTP utilities. Maybe Microsoft has done something to Windows to break them.

Message 6 of 9
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

For the benefit of anyone else who comes across this discussion, Netgear recently updated its TFTP advice to take on board the "command line" option.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Other people have also reported failure with third party TFTP utilities. Maybe Microsoft has done something to Windows to break them.

Would not be a surprise for Microsoft to break something either on purpose or by accident. I did use the tftp32 app erlier in the year, but was before the latest update, version 1803. Have used the built in tftp app as well. When you play with routers the way I do you need to have the serial cable and tftp app handy. The best router for just being nearly unbrickable is the Linksys WRT's, 1900ac, 1900acs, 3200acm as they have 2 totally separate partitions where the firmware is loaded so you always have a active and inactive partition. A update goes into the inactive and when the router reboots comes up on the new installed firmware. Should there be an issue you can easily switch back to the good partition with a on/off sequence. You really have to work hard to brick them. On the other hand I have bricked the r8000 I own and had to open it to recover. Bought off of Ebay so no warranty to worry about. 😉 In fact I need to break it open to get it going again as it is needing tender loving care again. Since it is a on the shelf, there if issue with main router, no big hurry. 

Message 7 of 9
antinode
Guru

> For the benefit of anyone else who comes across this discussion, [...]

Thanks for reposting a link to a KB article which was already posted
above.  I'm sure that that will be very helpful (to a subset of
inattentive readers).

> Other people have also reported failure with third party TFTP
> utilities. Maybe Microsoft has done something to Windows to break them.

More likely, it was the Illuminati or the Freemasons.  Or, on your
particular Ship of Fools, perhaps, the bicycle riders.  Of course, I
suppose that there could be some actual problem with a third-party TFTP
utility, or the way in which it was used.  Nah.  It must be the bicycle
riders, because Microsoft employs many of them, and they'd certainly
want to break third-party TFTP utilities, to avoid the loss of income
they would suffer from competition with their own TFTP client program.

Yow.

Message 8 of 9
myersw
Master

@antinode

Thanks for the laugh. 😉 

Needed a laugh.

Was feeling down as this is wife and my 54 wedding anniversary today and she passed way in January of this year. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7