Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC1900 Smart WIFI Router R7000

eg71117
Follower

AC1900 Smart WIFI Router R7000

Just upgraded to latest version.  I understand this is an older router, but it has been working fine for my needs.  Mainly use PC with Microsoft office, Outlook, Teams and Zoom and general surfing of the web.  I also have a iMac connected.  All I want to do at this time is to add service to my home shop which is about 150 feet from the night hawk.  I have a Cat 5E cable that I have run from my office to the shop.  mainly I want to get WIFI service in my shop to use a lap top and a  remote TV.  My question.  What is the easiest way to get a signal in my shop?  Add an extender, add another router to the cable I have in the shop,  Or replace my router and use this router in the shop.  I also have a NetGear 300 that I am not using.  Just looking for a low cost solution, but I also want to make sure I don't open my system up to getting hacked by using old equipment.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

@eg71117 wrote:

Just upgraded to latest version.  I understand this is an older router, but it has been working fine for my needs.  Mainly use PC with Microsoft office, Outlook, Teams and Zoom and general surfing of the web.  I also have a iMac connected.  All I want to do at this time is to add service to my home shop which is about 150 feet from the night hawk.  I have a Cat 5E cable that I have run from my office to the shop.  mainly I want to get WIFI service in my shop to use a lap top and a  remote TV.  My question.  What is the easiest way to get a signal in my shop?  Add an extender, add another router to the cable I have in the shop,  Or replace my router and use this router in the shop.  I also have a NetGear 300 that I am not using.  Just looking for a low cost solution, but I also want to make sure I don't open my system up to getting hacked by using old equipment.

Your N300 is old to the point it is not of much use in this situation.

The Cat 5e cable to your shop is a major step in the right direction.  You can find a refurbished R7000 on Amazon for less than $100.  Configure it as a wired access point in your shop and connect back to your original R7000 via the Ethernet cable.  If you want to use the newer AX Wi-Fi bands in the office for a few more $, go with a newer AX model that has been refurbished and configure your R7000 as an access point in the shop.  Either way, you will also have Ethernet ports available in the shop.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@eg71117 wrote:

Your N300 is old to the point it is not of much use in this situation.

The Cat 5e cable to your shop is a major step in the right direction.  You can find a refurbished R7000 on Amazon for less than $100.  Configure it as a wired access point in your shop and connect back to your original R7000 via the Ethernet cable.  If you want to use the newer AX Wi-Fi bands in the office for a few more $, go with a newer AX model that has been refurbished and configure your R7000 as an access point in the shop.  Either way, you will also have Ethernet ports available in the shop.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series