Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ac2400 no internet but modem does have internet

Apaul
Tutor

Ac2400 no internet but modem does have internet

I have an AC 2400 router that has worked in the past. There is Internet to and from the modem. But no Internet from the router to devices. I can see the router and devices with the Netgear Nighthawk app but there’s no Internet going to the devices.
Model: AC2400|Nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Apaul
Tutor

Re: Ac2400 no internet but modem does have internet

Problem solved. The solution was DHCP was changed to a static IP. Changed it back to. Dynamic and internet restored. Now as to how it got changed to static.
My guess is we lost internet after a lightning storm. Only thing I can figure is the storm tweaked IP address from dynamic to static.
My surge protector is 5+ years old. As part of this fix I will get a new surge protector.
Thanks
ItvSp, you are correct I did get to the router via router login.net. The phone Netgear help person asked about the Led lights and I told him what was lit and the colors.
It was also over the phone they said I was out of warranty. I did register it. And next time will open a support case.
Thanks

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Need a better problem description.

@Apaul wrote:
I have an AC 2400 router that has worked in the past. There is Internet to and from the modem. But no Internet from the router to devices. I can see the router and devices with the Netgear Nighthawk app but there’s no Internet going to the devices.

How do you know the  router has gotten the Internet signal? Is this a new installation? Have you powered off the modem and then powered it on, then connected the router and powered it up?

So you have LAN capability then? What is the wireless device? Do you have a wired device? On the device can you use a Browser to look at the router? If so, log in, and what does the main page show for Internet?

Message 2 of 8
Apaul
Tutor

How do you know the router has gotten the Internet signal?
—The orange led internet light is on.
Is this a new installation?
—No
Have you powered off the modem and then powered it on, then connected the router and powered it up?
—yes
So you have LAN capability then?
—I can access the internet with a laptop directly plugged in to the modem but when I plug the modem into the router there is no internet wired or wireless via the router.
What is the wireless device?
—iphone XS and Toshiba laptop
Do you have a wired device?
— yes Toshiba laptop
On the device can you use a Browser to look at the router?
—no
If so, log in, and what does the main page show for Internet?
—I contacted Comcast originally when there was no internet and they said my modem was old and to get a new modem so I bought a new modem ARRIS SB6183. This modem works fine. I suspect the old modem worked OK too. I know this modem works because I can get the Internet when I plug the laptop directly into the modem.
I contacted Netgear as this router is seven months old. They said the first light is white second light orange the next two lights are white blinking and the last two lights are white and on. Netgear said there’s no hardware problem with the router and I’m out of warranty. I have power cycled the router many times and pressed the power button on the back and tried different Ethernet wires from the modem to the router. There is no Internet either wireless or wired from the router. I suspect I might be down to a factory reset. Open to any ideas or suggestions. Thanks
Message 3 of 8
Apaul
Tutor

When I turn on Wi-Fi on my iPhone I can see and connect to the router but there’s no Internet.
Also with Wi-Fi on the Netgear Nighthawk app shows the router and all devices connected to the router but the app shows the Internet as off-line.
When I turn off Wi-Fi on my iPhone and use cell phone data the Netgear Nighthawk app shows the router as disconnected.
Message 4 of 8
IrvSp
Master

@Apaul wrote:
When I turn on Wi-Fi on my iPhone I can see and connect to the router but there’s no Internet.
Also with Wi-Fi on the Netgear Nighthawk app shows the router and all devices connected to the router but the app shows the Internet as off-line.
When I turn off Wi-Fi on my iPhone and use cell phone data the Netgear Nighthawk app shows the router as disconnected.

Once you go onto the Cell service you are disconnected from the LAN so of course the router can't be seen.

"Do you have a wired device?
— yes Toshiba laptop
On the device can you use a Browser to look at the router?"

—no"

Why can't you use a BROWSER here? Open one and enter 'routerlogin.net', that will get you to the router and then enter 'admin' and 'password' unless you changed the password, then use that? Can do the same on the iPhone with Safari.

"I contacted Netgear as this router is seven months old. They said the first light is white second light orange the next two lights are white blinking and the last two lights are white and on. Netgear said there’s no hardware problem with the router and I’m out of warranty."

How could they see the LED's? Well, if you look at the manual (http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/AC2400/AC2400_UM_EN.pdf) page 11 and 12, that does indicate the 2nd light is the Internet light and orange means there is a cable there but no Internet.

How could you be out of warranty? In the US? Should have 1 year RMA available. Did you actually open a case with Netgear or call a number on the web? If you called a number there is a good chance you didn't contact NG but a 3rd party. Go to Support, log in, then MY SUPPORT, select your router (I assume you registered it), then CONTACT NETGEAR, fill in the data and they will contact you, usually by e-mail first.

Message 5 of 8
Apaul
Tutor

Problem solved. The solution was DHCP was changed to a static IP. Changed it back to. Dynamic and internet restored. Now as to how it got changed to static.
My guess is we lost internet after a lightning storm. Only thing I can figure is the storm tweaked IP address from dynamic to static.
My surge protector is 5+ years old. As part of this fix I will get a new surge protector.
Thanks
ItvSp, you are correct I did get to the router via router login.net. The phone Netgear help person asked about the Led lights and I told him what was lit and the colors.
It was also over the phone they said I was out of warranty. I did register it. And next time will open a support case.
Thanks
Message 6 of 8
IrvSp
Master

I live in Florida. Thunder storms and lightning, along with power spikes/drops as well as loss, is a fact of life here during the summer. I have my modem and router on a UPS. Doesn't need to be as large as the ones I keep the computers on. I does a great job, and in the case of power loss, I still can use the Internet on our iPad's. During one hurricane 2 years ago we lost power for 2 days. The UPS powered the modem and router for 6 hours so we could keep track of the storm as it aproached.

If you know one setting changed, there could be others as well? I'd reset the router and manually re-enter all settings, or if you had a saved configuration, I'd still reset but restore that.

Message 7 of 8
Apaul
Tutor

Thanks. All good ideas. Where I live in Oregon the electricity is fairly stable. Some of our possible issues are large earthquakes, forest fires, and storms leading to flooding. I will do some more work on the router. Thanks again!
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7