Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Attempting to set up a Netgear router with Nighthawk app, won't connect to internet

himelkari
Follower

Attempting to set up a Netgear router with Nighthawk app, won't connect to internet

I've moved into a new apartment and am having to set up my own router for the first time. I bought a Netgear AC750 wifi router because it was cheap, which may have been my first mistake. The router is connected to power and to the ethernet port. My computer can connect to the router with no problem, but the router will not connect to the internet. Obviously, this means that I can't get to Netgear's website to register the router.

I've rebooted the computer and reset all its network connection settings and disconnected the router from both ethernet and power and then reconnected them, with no change. Computer and router connect to each other with no problem, but no internet connection. I contacted my internet provider, and they said that the router is online on their end, and that I need to finish setting up the router on my end using Netgear's Nighthawk app if I can't connect to the browser.

The Nighthawk app has abysmal recent reviews on the Google Play store. I decided to bite the bullet and only use it for basic setup, since the consensus seems to be that that's all it's good for. And wouldn't you know it, I can't get that to connect to the internet either. I gave it my account name and password for my ISP, and it still can't connect. The app, phone, and computer can all connect to the router, but none of them can get through to the internet, so I'm stuck in a loop of "need to connect to get this thing working, can't connect because it's not working" as far as I can see. Netgear's website doesn't provide any solution for this that I was able to find, but their mobile layout is also not very friendly, so it's hard to know if I was looking in the right places.

What am I doing wrong here? (If the router is a lost cause, I have only had it for a day and can probably return it to the store.)

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Attempting to set up a Netgear router with Nighthawk app, won't connect to internet

What router model did you buy? AC750 is a speed. It think the only AC750 router netgear makes is the R6020. 

Its a super base model device. 

What modem/gateway are you connecting it to? 

If its new, you should have your 90 days of free support. 

To get a hold of support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process. Keep in mind that its only free for the first 90 days.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7