Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C7800 - Ethernet port : routed or not?

BobKein
Aspirant

C7800 - Ethernet port : routed or not?

Hi, 

I am considering buying the C7800 to use with Spectrum. I am trying to figure out how are the ethernet port on the C7800 managed?

Are they behind the router and as such connected devices will will get one of the LAN IP?

or are they behind the modem and will get a WAN IP ?

My issue is that Spectrum seems to only authorize one WAN/Public IP, and i just had that issue with another Netgear Modem only unit where my 4 ethernet port are basically useless (I can only connect one device and that device gets the WAN IP), so i want to move to a modem/router combo hoping that issue will not occur anymore.

[Of course i could also plug a router behind my existing modem but for now i d rather not]

Also, is there QoS for the ethernet port? I d like to prioritze traffic a on per port basis.

Thanks!

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

I take it you must have had the CM1200. It creates confusion with people. 

The C7800 is a modem/router combo device and not just a modem device. (it can be set as modem only though but then only 1 port would work)

the C7800's lan ports are just that, lan ports. You can connect devices to them. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I take it you must have had the CM1200. It creates confusion with people. 

The C7800 is a modem/router combo device and not just a modem device. (it can be set as modem only though but then only 1 port would work)

the C7800's lan ports are just that, lan ports. You can connect devices to them. 

Message 2 of 4
BobKein
Aspirant

🙂 indeed the CM1200 was my downfall....

Ok so C7800 will enable me to connect any additional device and get a local IP, thats perfect thanks!

Message 3 of 4
microchip8
Master

On consumer routers/modems and pure routers, LAN ports are switched, not routed. Only the WAN is routed

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7