Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't get my iphone to connet to my Netgear Nighthawk AC1900

JDahmer
Aspirant

Can't get my iphone to connet to my Netgear Nighthawk AC1900

I have a NightHawk Netgear AC1900 router and everything was working fine then the next day my phone or tablet cannot connect to my AC1900. It is statings Incorrect password for Netgear77-5g. I tried typing in the supplied password for the router and still stating incorrect passord. I am running a WideOpenWest cable modem to this router. I don't know if the  wifi from the cable modem is interfering with this router and I don't know how to shut off the cable modems wifi.The cable modem is an ARRIS TG3452.

All the lights are white on the nighthawk router. I did do the firmware update. When I type 192.168.1.1 it won't connect to the router.

Message 1 of 5
Kitsap
Master

@JDahmer wrote:

I have a NightHawk Netgear AC1900 router and everything was working fine then the next day my phone or tablet cannot connect to my AC1900. It is statings Incorrect password for Netgear77-5g. I tried typing in the supplied password for the router and still stating incorrect passord. I am running a WideOpenWest cable modem to this router. I don't know if the  wifi from the cable modem is interfering with this router and I don't know how to shut off the cable modems wifi.The cable modem is an ARRIS TG3452.

All the lights are white on the nighthawk router. I did do the firmware update. When I type 192.168.1.1 it won't connect to the router.

To start, you need to provide the model number of your Nighthawk router.  It is not AC1900, it should start with an R and you need to look on the label on the back of the device.

When you have your Nighthawk router connected downstream of a combination modem/router (gateway) you have a double NAT configuration.  This configuration causes numerous problems, but it can be fixed with configuration changes.

Here is some background information:  https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-double-NAT-and-why-is-it-bad

And some more background: 

https://kb.netgear.com/30187/My-NETGEAR-or-Orbi-router-is-connected-to-an-ISP-gateway-or-another-rou...

You may have to disconnect your router from your gateway, and restart the router to log in to change the configuration.  Best to connect to your router with an Ethernet cable.  If not possible, use a real computer with a web browser to log in.  Avoid the mobile applications.

Message 2 of 5
JDahmer
Aspirant

It is Model number R6900P and when I type in router login.net it takes me to the Netgear homepage. I am using a real computer connected to the netgear and cable modem.

Message 3 of 5
Kitsap
Master

@JDahmer wrote:

It is Model number R6900P and when I type in router login.net it takes me to the Netgear homepage. I am using a real computer connected to the netgear and cable modem.

Connected to the router with an Ethernet cable or over Wi-Fi?

With your R6900P disconnected from the gateway Ethernet, you might have to use the IP address to access the user interface.  Restart, not reset, your router first.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

You're in a double nat as @Kitsap says prior based off your modem info. 

so the routerlogin address probably won't work. and the netgear router more than likely is on a different IP address from stock because of the double nat. 

Try 10.0.0.1 when you're hardwired into the netgear. 

Or 192.168.0.1

Those are the 2x other default addresses when the 192.168.1.1 address is already in use (by your arris). 

From there you should be able to access the router and make changes to it. (and fix your double nat)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7