Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Compatibilty with WD live media box

wad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Compatibilty with WD live media box

I use a Western Digital Live 3 gen. media box to steams from my server. It has worked well without issue in the past. Recently however the WD is unable to connect with my network wired or wirelessly. I have two WD and both demonstrate the same problem. When deteched from the network the WD checkout fine. I checked everything else and have determined that it is a problem with the router. All other devices work fine. I did a quick reset which fail to resolve the problem. I reset the router to an earlier software version (V1.0.4.74_10.1.80) but the problem persists. I checked the attached devices and reset ensuring that it was set on “allow all new devices”.   At one point I was able to connect once but the problem has reoccurred. Short of resetting to factory, is there anything else I could try?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
wad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: Compatibilty with WD live media box

Thank you for the help.

I set  the box to an IP address I had reserved and also set the gate way and mast addresses. 

This seems to have resolved the problem.

I'm still curious to know why this problem asserted itself after these years of problem free use. 

It occurred on both the box I had used and the spare I had, were both had work before without any adjustments.

If you happen to think of anything let me know, this like an itch I need to scratch.

Thanks again for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to check with WD support for additional information regarding there product. 

Message 2 of 13
wad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since have been using the WD box since 2016 without a problem. The problem occurred this last week. As I traded out the WD box with a spare I had and the problem still occurred it eliminated any problem with the WD box. I also reviewed the setting and reset both boxes. After several attempts to trouble shoot the router I temporally solved the problem then it reoccurred after trying to reconnect to router.
I really don’t want to rest the router to factory setting.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

A reset maybe needed to check this. 

Message 4 of 13
wad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I completed a reset and still having the same problem. 

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the exact model# of these WD devices?

Message 6 of 13
wad
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I turn off the router I get to the WD menu and set it to detect source for WiFi. I then turn on the router select my router and then can get a connection. I took the opportunity to set a static IP for the WD box. The WD would not reconnect after being powered down.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the exact model# of these WD devices?

Is this it? https://www.amazon.com/Media-Player-Wi-fi-1080p-Version/dp/B005KOZNBW

Message 8 of 13
wad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes this the model.

Message 9 of 13
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @wad, we'd like to know the following.

Are you encountering a similar issue with your other WiFi devices?

Does hardwiring the media box work?

How far is the media box located from the router? Tried relocating it (closer)?

Have you tried address reservation instead of setting a static IP on the media box?

Dexter

NETGEAR Team

Message 10 of 13
wad
Aspirant
Aspirant

1) I've had no problems with any other device.

2) The problem persists with both Hard wired or WiFi

3) I set the device next to the router and the problem continued.

4) I haven't manual changes the addresses on the device yet.

Message 11 of 13
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

It looks like the issue is isolated to the media box. Please try setting the media box to acquire a DHCP IP address from the router instead of being set to static and try using the address reservation feature of the router. The link below may help.

https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router?article=25722

Let us know how it goes.

Dexter

NETGEAR Team

Message 12 of 13
wad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the help.

I set  the box to an IP address I had reserved and also set the gate way and mast addresses. 

This seems to have resolved the problem.

I'm still curious to know why this problem asserted itself after these years of problem free use. 

It occurred on both the box I had used and the spare I had, were both had work before without any adjustments.

If you happen to think of anything let me know, this like an itch I need to scratch.

Thanks again for your help.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7