Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Created a password I can't change or use for Genie

spickelmier
Aspirant

Created a password I can't change or use for Genie

I use a tool to create long and random passwords, 50 characters with lots of special characters.  I set my admin password to one of those strong passwords and it works fine for logging in via the web interface.  However I am unable to use it for Genie.  As a result I tried to change it to a simpler password, but the password change form reports it as invalid (i.e., not the old password), but I can still use it for login.  Has anybody else seen any issues like this?

Thanks!

Rick

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
spickelmier
Aspirant

Thanks!  I believe I am using the latest, it's just a couple of weeks old and I updated it immediately.  It looks like one of the routes to enter/validate a password is allowing more than 32 characters to be used and that is causing the issue.  

I will make sure I keep it at 32 when I reset the device.  

Personnally I hate it when there are limits on password length, it makes me question how they are doing password management on the backend (any password storage should be hash based (or the equivalent) and that is a fixed length completely independent of the length of the password itself).

Rick

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies

To regain control of the thing, you could reset it to factory defaults. This would set the router's password back to the default and you can then give it a more "friendly" new password.

PS I assume we are talking router password here, not wifi.

Message 2 of 6
spickelmier
Aspirant

Yeah, I was eventually going to do that, but wanted to see if it was a known issue.  And yes, the admin password, not the WiFi one.

Message 3 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@spickelmier The password has a limit of 32 characters. Are you using the latest firmware of the R7000?

Message 4 of 6
spickelmier
Aspirant

Thanks!  I believe I am using the latest, it's just a couple of weeks old and I updated it immediately.  It looks like one of the routes to enter/validate a password is allowing more than 32 characters to be used and that is causing the issue.  

I will make sure I keep it at 32 when I reset the device.  

Personnally I hate it when there are limits on password length, it makes me question how they are doing password management on the backend (any password storage should be hash based (or the equivalent) and that is a fixed length completely independent of the length of the password itself).

Rick

Message 5 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome.

Let us know if you still encounter anymore errors. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7